I just want to know about this Eva thing mentioned on that Twitter feed? I assume they mean NGE... but I thought Eva was never gonna happen (in the US at least) because of it's biblical hijinks?

17 minutes ago, TehPW said:

I just want to know about this Eva thing mentioned on that Twitter feed? I assume they mean NGE... but I thought Eva was never gonna happen (in the US at least) because of it's biblical hijinks?

Oh it's just the tv series. Hehehe.

They should call it Samurai Bebop - sort of a reverse of the "Seven Samurai" "The Magnificent Seven" dynamic.  I plan on watching this but the original is great for US audiences already so they should just stream the original series again.  The movie too.

Edited by Dynaman

30 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

This could be good.  Could be bad.....  I’m excited for it  

the live action Bleach movie wasn’t bad. 

Yeah, that live-action Bleach movie was okay and I hope they are able to make good on the easter egg/promise at the very end.

I'll give Cowboy Bebop a chance. I still need to watch the live-action version of Fullmetal Alchemist.

Death Note couldn't hold my attention like the anime; Space Battleship Yamato was a superb train wreck. 

Oh boy this can only end badly, hopefully we get some good fights out of it but I'm not going to expect much on the story side.

2 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

Didn't Keanu say Cowboy Bebop would be too expensive to make into a live action?

He's been working on getting this made for almost 10 years and Netflix seems to have a bunch of money to throw around so maybe Keanu got the crazy amount he was looking for.

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

Keanu Reeves?

I'm willing to give a fellow nerd and Canuck a chance...

the john wick movies have no right to be as good as they are, and it's mostly because of the passion of the makers and Keanu's level of dedication/training to look like he could win a gunfight... 

Keanu as spike would be weird, and awesome... 

... I dread this.  American filmmakers who try to adapt anime into a live-action feature tend to really flamingo up.1

They just don't understand subtlety, nuance, or pacing... and Cowboy Bebop would be a challenging title to adapt even for a highly talented filmmaker, given that it shares most of the writing challenges Firefly did and they emphatically couldn't make THAT work.  When you have a story that's driven by a status quo of always being one step ahead of failure and one step behind the big payoff, it has a VERY short shelf life because the entire premise quickly gets stale.  Cowboy Bebop and Firefly are both remembered fondly because they were both short enough that the premise didn't have time to get completely stale before the end (and Cowboy Bebop changed gears in the last few episodes to focus on Spike's history with the Chinese mafia and his lover).  

2017's Ghost in the Shell was hands-down the closest they've come to success thus far, in that the critics merely dismissed the film as a dull, lifeless, and singularly uninspired knockoff of a classic instead of crucifying it for being incoherent and nigh-unwatchable.  It did make its budget back, but once advertising is factored in it still finished something to the tune of $100 million in the red.

I've got a bad feeling Cowboy Bebop will be watered down and turned into a cheap clone of Minority Report.

1. Like a cock up, only much bigger...

This is not going to be any good. Adapting something like Cowboy Bebop is extremely difficult to begin with, and one look at the staff working on this makes me even more wary. Hollywood cannot adapt anime with the necessary nuance and  respect for the source.

https://splashreport.com/cowboy-bebop-story-details/

JFC, a gun that shoots black holes.  Never heard that one before.

Why are they doing this?  Oh yeah, money.

But still, Cowboy Beebop (for better or worse) is one of my favorite animes after Macross, and I hate to see it bastardized like this.  I'm going to give it a very skeptical chance when it comes out, but I'd be happier if they could just leave the original alone.  Not everything needs a remake/reboot/sequel w/e the hell this is supposed to be.

Come up with something halfway original for once, ffs.

Edit: I should note I have no idea about the credibility of this "article."  I don't know how or why the author should have access to any sort of info on the pilot.  So take that for what you will.

Edited by HardlyNever

1 hour ago, HardlyNever said:

https://splashreport.com/cowboy-bebop-story-details/

JFC, a gun that shoots black holes.  Never heard that one before.

Why are they doing this?  Oh yeah, money.

But still, Cowboy Beebop (for better or worse) is one of my favorite animes after Macross, and I hate to see it bastardized like this.  I'm going to give it a very skeptical chance when it comes out, but I'd be happier if they could just leave the original alone.  Not everything needs a remake/reboot/sequel w/e the hell this is supposed to be.

Come up with something halfway original for once, ffs.

Edit: I should note I have no idea about the credibility of this "article."  I don't know how or why the author should have access to any sort of info on the pilot.  So take that for what you will.

The article sounds like a treatment for Outlaw Star more then Cowboy Bebop. 

Honestly on the reboot/remake issue, it would be nice if this series was just in the same universe but with a new crew. That way you can keep the tone near the same without having to completely replicate it to appease fans of the original. Plus it would give room for new stories.

12 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Honestly on the reboot/remake issue, it would be nice if this series was just in the same universe but with a new crew. That way you can keep the tone near the same without having to completely replicate it to appease fans of the original. Plus it would give room for new stories.

The problem with that approach is that, if you're not going to have any real connection to the original work, why bother using the familiar name?

Announcing a live action Cowboy Bebop series is mainly going to get the attention of people familiar with the original work and naturally builds the expectation that they're going to see familiar sights and familiar characters.  Ditching everything but the title is an invitation to the Angel Links problem where the audience is expected to enjoy it because the setting was the same but everything that made the setting fun has been removed.

13 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The problem with that approach is that, if you're not going to have any real connection to the original work, why bother using the familiar name?

Announcing a live action Cowboy Bebop series is mainly going to get the attention of people familiar with the original work and naturally builds the expectation that they're going to see familiar sights and familiar characters.  Ditching everything but the title is an invitation to the Angel Links problem where the audience is expected to enjoy it because the setting was the same but everything that made the setting fun has been removed.

So how does Star Trek avoid the same issue considering most of the series have had different crews?

Heck we can add in Gundam and even Macross into that given that the best Macross next to the original is Frontier and that had none of the original casting.

Edited by Focslain

33 minutes ago, Focslain said:

So how does Star Trek avoid the same issue considering most of the series have had different crews?

Heck we can add in Gundam and even Macross into that given that the best Macross next to the original is Frontier and that had none of the original casting.

Mainly because those are sequels rather than adaptations, reboots, or reimaginings.

They managed audience expectations by promoting themselves as new, original stories in their respective story universes with their own distinct titles, casts, and story mechanics that didn't overlap with the original work.  The creative process there was an additive one, where they built on the existing foundation of the original story instead of reworking it.

When Macross and Gundam went back to reimagine their original works with modern standards, they made sure to closely follow the theme, tone, and setting of the original and just cosmetically update it.  Paramount tried to totally retool Star Trek with the same-name movie reboot in 2009 and the fans crucified them for messing with the setting to turn it into a militaristic action story, just like audiences and reviewers tore into Ghost in the Shell (2017) for ditching the iconic philosophizing of the original and whitewashing the Major and tore the Dragonball Evolution movie apart for the... for the everything.

47 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Mainly because those are sequels rather than adaptations, reboots, or reimaginings.

They managed audience expectations by promoting themselves as new, original stories in their respective story universes with their own distinct titles, casts, and story mechanics that didn't overlap with the original work.  The creative process there was an additive one, where they built on the existing foundation of the original story instead of reworking it.

When Macross and Gundam went back to reimagine their original works with modern standards, they made sure to closely follow the theme, tone, and setting of the original and just cosmetically update it.  Paramount tried to totally retool Star Trek with the same-name movie reboot in 2009 and the fans crucified them for messing with the setting to turn it into a militaristic action story, just like audiences and reviewers tore into Ghost in the Shell (2017) for ditching the iconic philosophizing of the original and whitewashing the Major and tore the Dragonball Evolution movie apart for the... for the everything.

Which would be nice if this was that, a sequal/side-story, but double checked and yeah this is a retelling which is a shame.

• 2 weeks later...

As skeptical of this as I am, I gotta say I don't actually hate these character descriptions:

http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2018/12/11/exclusive-netflix-cowboy-bebop-character-breakdowns-and-production-start-date/

At least they aren't "white-washing" things.  And I sort of like the idea of mixed race/ethnicity characters, as it can be hard to really identify who is what (in a good way).  Also, it's in the future and all that, so you would think there might be more "mixed" people in a more global future.

• 3 months later...