Get Ride! AMDRIVER

RavenHawk

There were a couple old threads on this topic, but since none of them have had any activity since 2006 (crap, that's 12 years already...), I figured it would make more sense to start a new one rather than resurrect one of those.

This show was on my list years and years ago as a "watch it when you get the chance." I'm looking for new-to-me shows to watch, and figured it was time.

Any fans of the show on here? The toys are very cool, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of talk out there about the actual show.

Does anyone know where it might be available to watch? I've looked for DVDs with no luck. There don't even seem to be any torrents out there that I can find, and the only stuff on YouTube is subbed into other languages. Would love to find an English sub (whether pro or fan made).

Thanks.

The series was licensed for US release, but that never occurred. A HK bootleg DVD of the first 13 episodes with pretty awful subs exists. Otherwise there are the Japanese region 2 DVDs, which can be followed quite well without knowledge of Japanese if you forfeit the discussions between characters of what it is to be a hero, being good and bad, and the like.

The series starts off pretty slowly, and is more of an animated tokusatsu show than a regular anime. However, starting about episode 20 things get darker very very quickly, including character deaths and the heroes being beaten into a pulp and having to retreat, getting chased by the bad guys etc. as it turns out the TV idol aspect of the plot is well...fake...

The star of the idol-like TV show is revealed to be the bad guy, and a very competent one to boot who almost manages to win. The original "bad guys" end up helping the heroes in defeating him.

The show is virtually blood-free, and also features very little fanservice. It also manages to have a truly heart-breaking resolution of the love triangle between the mysterious waif "bad guy", her protector, and the hero.

The toys are awesome, if somewhat plagued by premature joint wear and other minor quality control issues on the first waves. They can be seen as the predecessors of Busou Shinki (minus the sexy minigirl aspect).

27 minutes ago, Salamander said:

The series was licensed for US release, but that never occurred. A HK bootleg DVD of the first 13 episodes with pretty awful subs exists. Otherwise there are the Japanese region 2 DVDs, which can be followed quite well without knowledge of Japanese if you forfeit the discussions between characters of what it is to be a hero, being good and bad, and the like.

The series starts off pretty slowly, and is more of an animated tokusatsu show than a regular anime. However, starting about episode 20 things get darker very very quickly, including character deaths and the heroes being beaten into a pulp and having to retreat, getting chased by the bad guys etc. as it turns out the TV idol aspect of the plot is well...fake...

Hide contents

The star of the idol-like TV show is revealed to be the bad guy, and a very competent one to boot who almost manages to win. The original "bad guys" end up helping the heroes in defeating him.

The show is virtually blood-free, and also features very little fanservice. It also manages to have a truly heart-breaking resolution of the love triangle between the mysterious waif "bad guy", her protector, and the hero.

The toys are awesome, if somewhat plagued by premature joint wear and other minor quality control issues on the first waves. They can be seen as the predecessors of Busou Shinki (minus the sexy minigirl aspect).

Thanks for the info. It's appreciated.

I have a few of the toys coming in the mail any day now (they've been on my wish list for a while, and as I've completed some of the other lines that I collect, I decided to pull the trigger on a couple of these, with another 1 or 2 probably getting ordered shortly).

While I admit that I have a fair amount of toys in the collection just because I like their design, when there is a series related to a line then I like to look into that as well.

Frankly, while not a fan of tokusatsu at all, the rest of what you describe really just makes me want to see this even more.

My giant set with the Light Bisar "Fefnir", Light Bisar "Fenrir", Neoamdriver Jenus, Neoamdriver Ragna, and the vols. 4 & 5 extra weapons sets came in today.

Really did not realize just how big and solid these toys are, and how many accessories they come with. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have to say, it is very nice to see an actual "toy" again. With all of the collectibles and '80s toys I've picked up in recent months, it's nice to have something again that you're not worried about breaking with every transformation.