Disney's THE LION KING opens in theatres July 19, 2019.

From Disney Live Action, director Jon Favreau’s all-new “The Lion King” journeys to the African savanna where a future king must overcome betrayal and tragedy to assume his rightful place on Pride Rock.

Edited by no3Ljm

and they still claim it's originality from the original JAPANESSE TV series from the 70's... It's not called The Lying King for nothing, you know...

• 3 months later...

Part of me wonders why they need to recast (almost) everyone, and couldn't just make a 3D/4K remaster of the original, using the entire original soundtrack and voice recordings.

I don't want to dump all over the movie, because I'm sure it'll be amazing, but at the same time, I can't help but think "Hmm.. did Disney hire Todd Howard as head of marketing?"  Like, why should they work on writing new movies when they can just churn out upscales and remasters of all their greatest hits? :p 

• 1 month later...

I was kinda wondering why they didn't bring back the majority of original actors to voice the characters. Glad James Earl Jones is playing Mufasa again- such an iconic voice, irreplaceable IMO. Would have been nice to have Jeremy Irons back as Scar, too. Anyway, this last trailer fills me with hope- a lot of notable scenes in there that match the original, and Timon sounds like , well, Timon, singing anyway. Sounds like all the original songs are going to be in there, too. Looking forward to it. I'm not a big Disney fan, as they're hit & miss for me, but I saw the original Lion King in the theatre, and it was a powerful experience. I hope there are some folks in the audience who watch this movie without having seen the original so that it's a fresh experience, as I think it'll have an impact like the original had on many of us watching it for the first time years ago.

I'm so painfully torn on this.  Torn between the throes of overwhelming nostalgia, and the "... that's not right" feeling of hearing different voices.

I'm certain the remastered/reorchestrated music will be amazing, but I just want to be done with the reboot/remaster/reshoot/refilm/regurgitate trend overwhelming everything.  I'm tired of it, and I hate that it reinforces the feeling that creativity is dead by banking on all the stuff that used to be good, without any attempt to extract what made it good in the first place, and apply it to something new. :huh:

I know this'll be fun to watch, but at the same time, I feel dirty for the idea of enjoying it just for the nostalgia, without it really having any merits beyond that.

Once we own this file digitally, we can mute the audio and play the original animation tracks. Let's just hope it will sync properly.

Or... we can probably wait for someone who's going to edit it and post it on YouTube for free. ^_^

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm certain the remastered/reorchestrated music will be amazing, but I just want to be done with the reboot/remaster/reshoot/refilm/regurgitate trend overwhelming everything.  I'm tired of it, and I hate that it reinforces the feeling that creativity is dead by banking on all the stuff that used to be good, without any attempt to extract what made it good in the first place, and apply it to something new. :huh:

That will take 2, maybe 3 or 4 massive bombs of remakes to happen.  Dumbo was a flop so the count is at one so far.

This is the one thing that sideshow Bob realizes a while back when he took the helm of Disney.   Creativity in Hollywood is dead, but he needed content, so he went on a buying spree that resulted in Disney owning Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars.  We will see what he buys next.

give it a few years and they will do a Frozen live action.  

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...