All Things Disney Parks - Rides, Merch, News, and everything else

jvmacross

I’ve had a lot of friends go so far and one of them was the first to go before the opening and it’s actually really inspired her since she came back and after the video was released talk about it.

There's no point in going to this until after 2020 when it's fully open.

It's only half open and there's a 4-hour limit right now so why bother?

Disney opened this early so they could get some cash on the books for Star wars before fiscal year ends.

5 minutes ago, Duymon said:

There's no point in going to this until after 2020 when it's fully open.

It's only half open and there's a 4-hour limit right now so why bother?

Disney opened this early so they could get some cash on the books for Star wars before fiscal year ends.

From the reports that I have read, it seems the 4-hr limit kept crowds to a manageble limit and kept the wait to ride the falcon ride to an hour or less...remarkable when you consider there are still 3 hour waits at the Avatar Flight ride at Animal Kingdom....it'll be a free-for-all once they open Galaxy's Edge up to just regular fast-pass access...and when you can only get to pick one fast-pass to ride one of the two rides.....and wait 3+ hours for the one you decide not to fast-pass.....first world problems.....:rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Guess you have to be there....:pardon:

Soonest for me would be end of December or Spring Break 2020 at WDW...hopefully both rides would be open by then

Yeah, think I'll stick to my own computer sims.  That looked.. well, I can't help but imagine that as a cross between Star Tours, and the Dumbo Ride.. they give you a lever to go up and down.. wheeeeeeee. :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yeah, think I'll stick to my own computer sims.  That looked.. well, I can't help but imagine that as a cross between Star Tours, and the Dumbo Ride.. they give you a lever to go up and down.. wheeeeeeee. :lol: 

If the Rise of the Resistance ride will be anything like the HK Disney Pirates of the Caribbean ride....it will probably be the better of the two

7 hours ago, jvmacross said:

From the reports that I have read, it seems the 4-hr limit kept crowds to a manageble limit and kept the wait to ride the falcon ride to an hour or less...remarkable when you consider there are still 3 hour waits at the Avatar Flight ride at Animal Kingdom....it'll be a free-for-all once they open Galaxy's Edge up to just regular fast-pass access...and when you can only get to pick one fast-pass to ride one of the two rides.....and wait 3+ hours for the one you decide not to fast-pass.....first world problems.....:rolleyes:

I watched a video from a guy who said the wait was 2 hours.  What you can do is get in line near the end of your 4 hour window and they will not kick you out of the line.  I'm not getting in a 2 hour line for anything...

Rise of the Resistance is supposed to be the premier attraction for Star Wars Land with the Millennium Falcon being a B ticket perhaps (yup, I remember those ticket books).

• 2 months later...

Hmm I don't know that 2,000 people sucked into 1 ride would make the rest of the park feel empty. 

The park has a capacity of upwards of 70,000, thought most normally runs about 50K and less than that would be considered off peak.

Maybe people just don't feel like paying ~ $200 a head for NuStarWars?

It's a combination of factors, most likely.  Between the excessive prices and expected overcrowding, anyone with two brain cells would probably look at this, and wait at least until the second ride opens before even considering it, if at all.  People who have season passes will know to avoid openings of new areas, and people with small kids know a crowded area will be miserable.  The fact that so much of the fanbase is soured on the franchise right now is just gasoline on the trashfire.

The Star Wars area isn't really an attraction, so much as a glorified interactive gift shop and bar.  I can get better and cheaper merchandise and booze pretty much anywhere.  :p 

Edited by Chronocidal

Basically $1000 dedprez for two adults and two kids. Just to walk in..ok..

we know why they built this new attraction based on the new SW,  so as to completely profit off their own content and not have to kick down a shiver to George. While it all looks impressive enough from way over here , i doubt that entry fee is going to make it look worth it once your sitting at the bar contemplating the ,undoubtedly, over priced cocktail menu.. 

Oh ya, and don't  forget to buy a plastic lightsaber..!

3 hours ago, jenius said:

Didn't they kick George $4bill? :)

Yeah, I don't think he's hurting for money unless there's some catch in the sale contract.  Not sure what the youtuber was getting at.

I wonder if part of it is that it is so First Order/Resistance heavy (with a bit of Clone Wars/Rebels thrown in).  If it was more prequel/original based, it might be more attractive to 'the core crowd'.  It's kind of like they ignored most of the movies, and made a whole land based on Ep 7... (it's been in planning long enough that Ep 8 can't have had TOO much of an effect on it)  

3 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I wonder if part of it is that it is so First Order/Resistance heavy (with a bit of Clone Wars/Rebels thrown in).  If it was more prequel/original based, it might be more attractive to 'the core crowd'.  It's kind of like they ignored most of the movies, and made a whole land based on Ep 7... (it's been in planning long enough that Ep 8 can't have had TOO much of an effect on it)  

I expect that's a fair assessment.  I know some folks will like the atmosphere, but the video brings up a really good point.  Who is the intended audience?  I remember Star Tours being a blast, and always having a fairly long line for it (except in some rare circumstances).  The Falcon ride is a neat idea, but without playing off of the nostalgia for the first six films, they kinda shot themselves in the foot.

3 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

Great, now Star Wars fans are ruining Disneyland. :rolleyes:

Lol. You kidding?

21 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I expect that's a fair assessment.  I know some folks will like the atmosphere, but the video brings up a really good point.  Who is the intended audience?  I remember Star Tours being a blast, and always having a fairly long line for it (except in some rare circumstances).  The Falcon ride is a neat idea, but without playing off of the nostalgia for the first six films, they kinda shot themselves in the foot.

It's for the parents who need a drink after doing Disney land for 4 hours with their kids ..duh:p 

• 1 month later...

Just got back from DW.  Stopped in Star Wars Land and the theming is impressive.  Even with tourists walking around it really feels like you are in the Star Wars universe (perhaps in the middle of a tour group but still).  I did not try to ride the Falcon ride (went on Slinky Dog instead - highly recommended).  I would not recommend going JUST to go to GE since even when the main ride is ready that is still only two rides in the entire land but it is worth a walk through.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, Dynaman said:

Just got back from DW.  Stopped in Star Wars Land and the theming is impressive.  Even with tourists walking around it really feels like you are in the Star Wars universe (perhaps in the middle of a tour group but still).  I did not try to ride the Falcon ride (went on Slinky Dog instead - highly recommended).  I would not recommend going JUST to go to GE since even when the main ride is ready that is still only two rides in the entire land but it is worth a walk through.

Nice...what are the wait times looking like now?

I concur on Slinky Dog Dash....best non-VR ride at WDW.

Edited by jvmacross

Right this minute (8:30pm Florida time) Smugglers run has a 50 minute wait time and Slinky Dog has a 70 minute wait time.  Wait time for the Cantina is not listed on my app - when I was there it did not look like it would be too long.  For DW top tier rides that is reasonable.

• 1 month later...

With everyone in line for RotR the Millenium Falcon ride line will die down, hurray!  Well now that I think about it...

The land itself is incredible, very immersive.  Only two rides in the entire thing and everything else costing extra is a rip - even Toy Story land has THREE rides (grated, two of them were already there but Slinky Dog Dash is a great coaster for wimps like me)

Think this is one of two reasons why GE is sorta been dead. People wanna do the ROTR experience, and they also wanna be trying out the resort hotel that'll be coming next. Once these are done that's when I think we can see attendance going up to get that "Star Wars" feel.

I know I've mostly been slacking off on getting the money cause I wanna get the fun factor as much as possible. I wanna spend more than a couple hours there for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like they just tacked on a physical ride at the beginning to the VR experience you get from the Star Tours ride....

I'm sure it is better "in person"...

I was hoping this would have been more like the Shangai Disneyland POTC ride...which just seems way more immersive....

There just isn't enough interesting locales and events in the Sequel trilogy to have deserved a ride like this.....hopefully Disney will eventually come up with something in the same scale of the Shanghai POTC ride, but use the environments from the OT Star Wars.....I think that is what still makes Star Tours work....call it nostalgia, but it's definitely better source material....heck even the PT stuff they added to Star Tours is better than anything they could add from the ST....

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on the content of the ride, because the reviews of it have been very good... when it works.  Apparently it broke down during the press reveal event, and within one hour of opening to the general public.

Once it works correctly, it might be amazing, but right now, the continual backup of cancelled reservations due to the ride going down means you can't even get in line for it.  You have to reserve a spot online, and hope you don't get bumped down from someone else who was cancelled.

The virtual queue was not setup for reliability reasons, it was so all those people could keep shopping while waiting (and a darn good idea too).  I hope they start rolling this out for their other rides too.  It is good for the people to not stand in a line for an hour and good for Disney since those people will be spending money while waiting for their slot.  Anyone with a cell phone could sign up with that and those two without they could rent them a device to handle it.

EDIT - I was at DW Thursday and Friday but went to Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom instead.  I didn't even need to use my fastpasses in the morning.  Even the big ticket rides had 15 minute or less lines till about noon.  I went on the Haunted Mansion and Pirates twice in a row.  

Edited by Dynaman