Display Base Project for Hi-metal & Hi-metal R (3D-Print)

kyekye

Started working on custom Display Base for Hi-Metal-R series. This will be 3D printed and possibly made into mold.

45807775832_bb3e2cdaac_o.jpg

30917844997_4574928ba4_o.jpg

45807775762_4a5d0472de_o.jpg

45807775702_426b03113d_o.jpg

Probably some parts are too thin to hold weight, but will see after first print test

I know there is a Bandai official one displayed at one of the toy shows. I want something more detailed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 10:09 AM, Knight26 said:

Very nice work

On 11/13/2018 at 6:54 PM, sh9000 said:

Cool.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:29 PM, Bolt said:

Looks awesome! 

Good job mate!

Thanks for the comments

5 hours ago, arbit said:

Cool. How will it hold the valk?

That was TBD after test print. As it stands now (after test print), the clamp parts are too weak to hold Valkyries (unless it's made out of diecast metal or I display in space..)

So I'm thinking the Valkyrie will be placed on the base platform and have clamps hung over on top.

Kinda like this

baseidea2.bmp

6 hours ago, sh9000 said:

If you are planning on selling one, I’d be interested.

Thanks for the idea. Not sure where I'm going with this yet.

I made into too many parts for the first test, but that's why it's a test. Will see which parts I can merge and make stronger.

This is first test print (sanded/cleaned a bit)

45125423725_1f8a769964_z.jpg

This is how base will be assembled (with screws after painting)

45125423545_59164c7109_z.jpg

This is how clamp parts are assembled. This area needs some major reinforcement.

45125423365_db395cf6b9_z.jpg

Woah, looking nice ! Wasn't it overkill to separate the yellow and black parts ? I would prefer to mask the yellow and spray the black over than assembling that much individual parts in black (and having to sand more bent resin parts)

You probably have figured something our already, but for the arm attachment I would have made "hanging adapters" (in a strong plastic 80% infill FDM or glass beads nylon SLS) for each model you want to hang, that would be quickly attached / released with a 1.5mm x 20mm pin to the center of the "finger palm".

17 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Woah, looking nice ! Wasn't it overkill to separate the yellow and black parts ? I would prefer to mask the yellow and spray the black over than assembling that much individual parts in black (and having to sand more bent resin parts)

You probably have figured something our already, but for the arm attachment I would have made "hanging adapters" (in a strong plastic 80% infill FDM or glass beads nylon SLS) for each model you want to hang, that would be quickly attached / released with a 1.5mm x 20mm pin to the center of the "finger palm".

Haha Overkill? LOL Maybe.

I'm still a newbie (4 month into 3D printing). You gotta try it to check the possibilities, right? In this case, I'm imitating Bandai's 'iro-pla' method.

The Hanger clamp and Launcher arm parts will not work with weight if I keep the articulation as is.

So either I keep some articulation and make it just decorative element on base - or kill all articulation and make parts bigger and thicker + add adaptor point for Hi-Metal connector parts.

Bandai already displayed latter in prototype in last couple of toy shows. So I'll probably go with former style

9 minutes ago, arbit said:

If those HMR Supers can be opened, you could put magnets on the inside, and then magnetize the claws. 

A 3d printed lock for the backpack would also be in order so it doesn't flip open. Maybe something like yamato's connector under the backpack.

Oh, These Valkyries are light, but not light enough to be held with magnet.

I'm thinking about making 2 different versions now.

One with correct scale + articulated (poseable) - just decoration base

Another one with oversized Clamps that has attachment for the connector - something I can actually connect it and display

Stay tuned now. Need some design tweaks.

11 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Have you tried the Neodynum magnets N52? That’s almost incredible how strong they can be.

For instance the small discs diam 5mm x height 3mm can hold 730g, that means that 4 magnets would hold easily a 2L bottle of coke!

Agreed. Four magnets in the claws should hold it. I would test 4x 2mm & 3mm diameter magnets and see which will work.

But you will  have to redraw the design of the claws with holes to take the magnets.

23 hours ago, jenius said:

A 3d printed lock for the backpack would also be in order so it doesn't flip open. Maybe something like yamato's connector under the backpack.

I didn't think of that. That might be a problem.

15 hours ago, kyekye said:

Oh, These Valkyries are light, but not light enough to be held with magnet.

I'm thinking about making 2 different versions now.

One with correct scale + articulated (poseable) - just decoration base

Another one with oversized Clamps that has attachment for the connector - something I can actually connect it and display

Stay tuned now. Need some design tweaks.

If you want feedback, show us the designs before printing to save money.

20 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Have you tried the Neodynum magnets N52? That’s almost incredible how strong they can be.

For instance the small discs diam 5mm x height 3mm can hold 730g, that means that 4 magnets would hold easily a 2L bottle of coke!

I've been using Neodynum magnets since 2008, so I know what it can hold.  The claws aren't big enough for them in this scale.

8 hours ago, arbit said:

Agreed. Four magnets in the claws should hold it. I would test 4x 2mm & 3mm diameter magnets and see which will work.

But you will  have to redraw the design of the claws with holes to take the magnets.

Maybe I can use magnets if I make oversized clamps, but again the parts material and size need to be tested multiple times.

8 hours ago, arbit said:

If you want feedback, show us the designs before printing to save money.

Thanks for the help.

I'm using my home printer, so it's just me fiddling with different tries. Not worrying too much about the cost.  Just having fun :D

7 hours ago, kyekye said:

Maybe I can use magnets if I make oversized clamps, but again the parts material and size need to be tested multiple times.

Yes, you will need to redesign the arm for strength and balance.

I have 4x magnets holding up my 1/72 to the Launch Arm (I can't remember if they were 3 or 4mm diameter). The valk weighs 100g. And the magnets were at least twice or three times as strong as required to hold it securely.

Have you considered making a clip tha would reach down from the center of the claw to the backpack. This would be able to take on the load for the entire arm and might require less work and give you better streamlines attributes over installing magnets on the claws.

Originally that was part of the plan. the center circle was made for either attachment part connector or possible magnet,

Like I mentioned, I realized it came out smaller than I thought (although it's in correct scale)

LaunchArmBase_09B.JPG

7 hours ago, kyekye said:

1/72 would be a plastic model?

Pictures would be inspiring :)

Here is a link to my Launch Arm build for your reference.

I did a quick test on my HM-R. I am holding it with only 2x 5mmx2mm magnets.

I think that with 4x magnets mounted in the claws you will have a strong hold, even with smaller magnets to fit your claw.

(A couple points on my test: All the weight is on the Super covers, so they need to be closed with epoxy. There is also stress at the connection points between the Supers and the valk, which needs to be reinforced. You also need a way to keep the backpack closed, in my images the backpack isn't opening because the magnets are positioned only at the rear. )

820415464_2018-12-0313_31_10.thumb.jpg.8ac37fb3523b9b01d01d185f156ed706.jpg1919908940_2018-12-0313_30_25.thumb.jpg.095be2077bf5f8ac9e9daa19f765b39f.jpg741694020_2018-12-0313_29_39.thumb.jpg.561f540f37bb0c575fc64fd2b41de955.jpg1512077389_2018-12-0313_29_18.thumb.jpg.8cf77f122ff1fc863fddf6e3045627db.jpg1188403280_2018-12-0313_28_27.thumb.jpg.03393216dd3262cfc094e1259356fca8.jpg

Edited by arbit

On 11/30/2018 at 11:30 PM, jenius said:

7 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Have you considered making a clip tha would reach down from the center of the claw to the backpack. This would be able to take on the load for the entire arm and might require less work and give you better streamlines attributes over installing magnets on the claws.

6 hours ago, wmkjr said:

I'd try figuring out a clip for the valk so it's not all on that backpack hinge that's holding it first then work back to the launch arm.

All good ideas too.

16 hours ago, arbit said:

OMG, I just realized you're Kye. I'm a huge fan of your work :hail:

Surprised_caRt.png.8ebcb9821dc7782f05aa2efac614b6a9.png 

LOL!  Thanks for saying.

I'm working on over-sizing parts so that I can use magnets. Also I got a crazy idea, but not sure if it's gonna work. need some thinking...

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some time to re-work on parts design.

Also found VF-1A Super Valkyrie in the box. Now I was able to actually measure the parts for accuracy.

Now scaled up clamp parts - enough to put the magnets in. Hopefully 5 will hold it.

32624085628_b722e9e9da_c.jpg