"Macross In English" Super SpaceFortress Macross Dub Tape found

Darkspire17

Hey guys, bought an interesting item the other night, i was browsing the net looking for photos of the old SDF dub HG put out in 84, and found an auction for that very dub

the owner got it from a private house sale (guessing an estate sale) along with a box of martial arts tapes, so im guessing the owner bought it from a convention, the tape has been checked,

and indeed it is the harmony gold dub.

Ive seen one claim that the release was labled "in english" on youtube, and that is what my tape is labled as, im guessing this is from a very early convention.

the case is written in japanese, and uses DYRL "summer 84" Artwork, aswell as artwork lifted from DYRL of Exadol and bretai.

item photos are straight from the auction, if any one has any idea where this thing is from, please notify me, ive never seen one like tihs before, so i bought it as quick as possible.

sorry for my grammar.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

what i mean is, id not consider somthing probably meant to be played once, and then not sold, a bootleg, tho i realy dont mind if (and it probably is) one, its still apart of macross's history, and tbh the artwork is a lot better than the look of the HG release, the colors and the line art resembles the usual look for japanese scripts (witch i own one of, tho not relared to macross, minus a mospeada script) its that simplistic look i love.

i know some people get defensive if someone calls out they own a bootleg but, i actually dont mind owning them, if its the only way to get it unless you have a fortune, its just easier, i bought a bootleg of RTM before i eventually got a legitmate copy of it.

i just realise i completely contridicted myself, didnt even notice, anyway.

Edited by Darkspire17
editing

1 hour ago, Darkspire17 said:

what i mean is, id not consider somthing probably meant to be played once, and then not sold, a bootleg, tho i realy dont mind if (and it probably is) one, its still apart of macross's history, and tbh the artwork is a lot better than the look of the HG release, the colors and the line art resembles the usual look for japanese scripts (witch i own one of, tho not relared to macross, minus a mospeada script) its that simplistic look i love.

i know some people get defensive if someone calls out they own a bootleg but, i actually dont mind owning them, if its the only way to get it unless you have a fortune, its just easier, i bought a bootleg of RTM before i eventually got a legitmate copy of it.

i just realise i completely contridicted myself, didnt even notice, anyway.

Totally agree...sometimes less is better....

As for bootlegs....I have no problem them....for years official Macross video releases never included English subtitles...so the bootleg videos with English subtitles were welcomed!  Now that they are starting to release them with English subs....I can't rationalize paying the high prices when a BD copy is just as good....and way le$$!

Currently waiting for a BD bootleg release for the Macross Delta movie to hit ebay...I'm surprisd no one has sold one yet. ^_^

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Totally agree...sometimes less is better....

As for bootlegs....I have no problem them....for years official Macross video releases never included English subtitles...so the bootleg videos with English subtitles were welcomed!  Now that they are starting to release them with English subs....I can't rationalize paying the high prices when a BD copy is just as good....and way le$$!

Currently waiting for a BD bootleg release for the Macross Delta movie to hit ebay...I'm surprisd no one has sold one yet. ^_^

The only macross BD i was able to afford was DYRL, and my god its spectaular to see it in high definition, aswell as seeing the theatrical ver, id LOVE to get the megazone 23 archive box, but that thing is like 600 aud, blurays are just out of my price range, its why ive been collecting the early 2000's mospeada and macross sets.

2 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Since there's no manufacturer or licensor information, it's safe to assume that it's a fan copy (ie: bootleg). Before officially licensed anime was the norm, these were pretty common and sold fairly well. Here's an example of some more.

https://img00.deviantart.net/7b6c/i/2011/192/9/d/vkll_fansub_vhs_by_mewmew34-d3n2804.jpg

yeah, then its def a bootleg, but atleast its an interesting piece, an english dub, produced for american television, yet the case is entirly in japanese, i wonder where it was sold

9 minutes ago, Darkspire17 said:

The only macross BD i was able to afford was DYRL, and my god its spectaular to see it in high definition, aswell as seeing the theatrical ver, id LOVE to get the megazone 23 archive box, but that thing is like 600 aud, blurays are just out of my price range, its why ive been collecting the early 2000's mospeada and macross sets.

I actually bought the official BD for DYRL...the edited version....I also have the bootleg BD without the edits.....no difference in quality as far as I'm concerned

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I actually bought the official BD for DYRL...the edited version....I also have the bootleg BD without the edits.....no difference in quality as far as I'm concerned

so you got the My boyfreind is a pilot hybrid release right? cus the newest BD is uncut, restoring all violence

15 hours ago, Darkspire17 said:

yeah, then its def a bootleg, but atleast its an interesting piece, an english dub, produced for american television, yet the case is entirly in japanese, i wonder where it was sold

It was most likely sold at conventions and through fansub catalogs in the 1980's and early 90's. Even though it's a bootleg, it's undoubtedly a piece of Macross fan history. It harkens back to a time before ebay and torrents, where finding authentic Macross videos was rare and expensive for American fans. Whoever initially bought that VHS tape probably felt like they won the lottery back then.

• 3 months later...
On 10/27/2018 at 4:23 AM, TheLoneWolf said:

It was most likely sold at conventions and through fansub catalogs in the 1980's and early 90's. Even though it's a bootleg, it's undoubtedly a piece of Macross fan history. It harkens back to a time before ebay and torrents, where finding authentic Macross videos was rare and expensive for American fans. Whoever initially bought that VHS tape probably felt like they won the lottery back then.

funny thing you can litteraly buy the original tape from the RT store, seems they uncovered some excess stock, they are selling RT on tape aswell, noi dea why