Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dur

Help! Undoing enamel thinner on plastic embrittlement?

Recommended Posts

Sooooo I was stripping down one of my Arcadia VF-0A's for repainting using mr. thinner instead of my usual rubbing alcohol (since it works so much faster... sigh...) when I noticed that the gerwalk joint spontaneously started exploding.    Turns out you're not supposed to use that on straight plastic and this is a well documented effect for modelers.

 

So I stopped, I repaired and sanded the fissures I saw with CA, and now I'm wondering if this toy is now compromised.  Is there anyway to "undo" the embrittlement?  Should I just glue this together in fighter mode?  The rest of the fig seems fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, as I said, I sanded and repainted the component, so it looks like a painted brick... I could take pictures if something explodes again, and if it doesn't, I guess I don't have to worry about it.  It looked like mp03 starscream after trying to transform it, if that helps... (cracked abs plastic around a hinge)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your plastic is already compromised, you're pretty boned. You're not getting that material strength back.

You could glue the affected pieces back together and resin cast them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

If your plastic is already compromised, you're pretty boned. You're not getting that material strength back.

You could glue the affected pieces back together and resin cast them?

Well, crap.  I guess I've got nothing to lose by trying to anneal the plastic in the oven then!  If it goes really south, I'll leave it as a static fighter mode model- I guess that's why I got three of these things anyways :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try asking one of our resident 3D modelers to produce a printable file. The OA would then still be transformable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't stand not knowing what would happen so I went ahead and transformed to gerwalk and back 2 or 3 times.  It seems to be holding up (though I developed another crack right next to the leg-to-fuselage connector on the back of the leg).  I have nearly FILLED the intake pieces with CA (going around the gerwalk joint of course)- I think that might be why it's ok right now as it's like a brick with a candy shell instead of a hollow part.

Thanks for the replies: I guess I'm thankful that I got lucky this time!  I also tried the hip extension gimmick and it still works (I know that's kind of a taunt with a VF-0A, but count me lucky).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the future, use Pine Sol to strip paint off your models. TEST it first on something expendable just in case. I've safely used it before. - MT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...