Yain't never had a friend like me

Uh, uh, yeahyeahyeah

I'm envisioning a Wild Wild West / MIB style remix that'll play over the end credits, at least. I bet the songs in the movie will be kept fairly close to the original.

That being said, I do think Smith could do something fun with the role. It's been a while since I've seen him play something wacky, but he does have a level of manic energy that he can tap into for the Genie's eccentricity. I wonder if Gilbert Godfried will reprise the role of Iago.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Miss me with this mess lol

Looks 110% cringe worthy and I can’t stop laughing at this quote from the fresh genie of bel air: “I think it’ll stand out as unique [...] There hasn’t been a lot of that hip-hop flavor in Disney history.”

...word :rofl:

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha! Now I blame you for making me to think that. :lol:

CGI was too good!:rolleyes: :lol: 

55 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Miss me with this mess lol

Looks 110% cringe worthy and I can’t stop laughing at this quote from the fresh genie of bel air: “I think it’ll stand out as unique [...] There hasn’t been a lot of that hip-hop flavor in Disney history.”

...word :rofl:

fresh genie of bel-air!!:rofl: :rofl:

And Aladdin is carlton..:rolleyes::lol:

I sit down to watch the trailer and as it plays out I find myself thinking that it actually looks somewhat decent and mildly evocative of the source material: the atmosphere seems good; the color pallet, with the understandable exception of night shots, is mostly vibrant; the SFX/CG is kind of bland and feels somewhat dated, but is serviceable; the costuming is spot-on; beautiful and cute Jasmine even if the actress doesn't quite capture what one would expect a live version of the character to look like; the actor playing Aladdin is an even greater deviation from the established Disney look of the street rat;... then I see Jafar and then he speaks and, granted that it is a VERY short clip, he has little of the looks and none of the timbre in his voice to convey the Machiavellian Vizir's gravitas and lust for power, but fine, it's something that can be overlooked.

Then the Genie's reveal... :blink: ... :huh: ...  WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!...  HA HA HA HA HA!...  NO, just a resounding disbelieving NO!..  There's good bad, there's plain bad, there's bad bad, there's really bad, and then there is 'Will Smith's painfully cringe-tastic bloated smurf with a thyroid condition' 'ridiculous to the point of being impossible to ignore, excuse, or dismiss' BAD.  What were they thinking?  Will Smith, was the paycheck so juicy that you'd sign on to this monstrosity and completely sell out your dignity? :nea:

16 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

Then the Genie's reveal... :blink: ... :huh: ...  WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!!!...  HA HA HA HA HA!...  NO, just a resounding disbelieving NO!..  There's good bad, there's plain bad, there's bad bad, there's really bad, and then there is 'Will Smith's painfully cringe-tastic bloated smurf with a thyroid condition' 'ridiculous to the point of being impossible to ignore, excuse, or dismiss' BAD.  What were they thinking?  Will Smith, was the paycheck so juicy that you'd sign on to this monstrosity and completely sell out your dignity? :nea:

C'mon now. Let's be forgiving here. It's fun. And they're doing it for the kids. Or better yet, they're doing it for some charity. :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

Thank you!  Seriously WTF hahaha

I almost can’t believe this is real. It looks like a trash fire mixed with a larger smellier trash fire. 

This movie was destined to live or die by the portrayal of Genie.  The rest could have probably just been dialed in.

Will Smith will either own it in those first few minutes after being released from the lamp (2nd big musical production?) and make us temporarily forget about Robin Williams (only for at least the remainder of the 90 minutes or so run of this film) or it will simply crash and burn.

This has got to be the toughest gig Will Smith's ever had.  I hope he pulls it off because the rest of the visuals look fantastic.

I am also interested in what they did with Iago....Gilbert Gottfried also owned that character.

Now where's the Song of the South Live-action remake? :search:

• 4 weeks later...

D1deDGvVAAEJ4Lb?format=jpg&name=900x900

Is he not going to be blue now, cause in that poster he is natural brown.

I will admit, it is looking better. Jafar's voice I still have to get used to. So far the one from the animated movie was far better. Though, damn this girl can sing! She was carrying that duet!

Edited by Thom

Jafar doesn't sound or look nearly as old as he should. That whole "The Princess will marry me" ploy probably won't play this time around.

I didn't have a problem with Blue Smith, but I did suspect they would have him shifting skin tone throughout the movie, so I'm not surprised to see more of the regular skin tone here.

As for the singing, aren't they recycling the animated movie song? I don't think that's the live-action actors...

And I thought Prince of Persia was fine. Nothing to write home about, and that whitewashing scandal was icky, but it was about as good a video game movie as a video game movie could have been...

As for the singing, aren't they recycling the animated movie song? I don't think that's the live-action actors...

Not sure about the duet, but the "Friend Like Me" sequence seems all Will Smith....

I am feeling a bit better about the movie on this new trailer...hope this works out for Disney

Is he not going to be blue now, cause in that poster he is natural brown.

I will admit, it is looking better. Jafar's voice I still have to get used to. So far the one from the animated movie was far better. Though, damn this girl can sing! She was carrying that duet!

Watch the new trailer, his "true" form, or genie form, is indeed blue, but he has a human disguise form that is essentially just Will Smith kind of cosplaying as genie.