DWN013

create attachment for a PM?

Can't find where to upload an image for a PM... so i'mma post it here and then put it in a PM.  Behold my reapaint fodder VF-11B with Kurisama's parts:

DSC_1641.thumb.JPG.cd1b2d23568572d2c5e8a1d345946e02.JPG

Yeah, PM doesn't do it. I think you need to upload your image to any image host site to attach your image URL to any PM you're going to make. It's not the same when you comment on any thread you can upload an image attachments.

You can actually attach a pic to a draft as shown below and it will become available to be used in a PM.  You don't even need to post or finish that draft.  The photo you want to use will be available in Insert_Other_Media/Insert_Existing_Attachment in the PM window.

1.thumb.JPG.72417da3d10d184595ac45075c608665.JPG

I see. Thanks for that, @sumyumgoy

So it’s kind of like a two-step thing rather than having the option on doing it directly on PM. Because now you have to upload/insert first the image via ‘Click to choose files’ to any random thread like you’re replying without actually pressing the ‘Submit Reply’ so that the site will recognize that you uploaded an attachment. Before you can use it via PM as ‘Insert existing attachment.’

I’m actually curious in this method. So I want to test it if that’s ok. I’ll PM you the same image that you posted above by doing the process you mentioned. And I’ll delete that uploaded image from this thread insert method since it’s going to be in my ‘draft stage’ and see if it’s going to delete the actual image within my PM to you. Let me know what you’re going to find out on your end. ;)

Ok. So this is why it got me curious on this method. Because after I sent the test PM to you with an image attachment, that specific attachment will not get deleted in the Uploaded Images section in the reply box. I did try to click the trash icon to delete it and even refresh the page. The image is still showing up. And from what I know, that after I send this reply, the attachment is going to add in my post. Even if I don’t click the ‘+’ icon, it will automatically add the images uploaded in this reply as part of your previous ‘draft’. The only good thing is that the uploaded attachment only stays to that specific thread where you uploaded it. And it will just show to anywhere as part in your existing attachment.

Update: So right after I sent this reply, the draft attachment was also added in my reply. I checked the PM after and see if the image is still there. After seeing that it’s still there, I went back here and see what would happen if I edit the post and delete the image by clicking the trash icon. So somehow it deletes the image posted in this thread but still shows up in my PM. And it still part in your existing attachment library. It’s a good workaround but it’s too technical for everyone to remember it everytime they’re going to do it. It still would be nice if PM will also have the Click to choose files option.

Edited by no3Ljm

I agree, it would be nice if it was built into the PM system instead of having to work around it.

Which browser are you using by chance?  I am using Chrome and can't seem to replicate that problem on my end.  I am able to delete the attachment using the trash icon and it doesn't show up again after refreshing.

I do run into a similar problem like that when I'm trying to use the mobile version of the site on my phone.

I was using Safari on iPad when I did that experiment last night.