So I’m thinking the Yoda species has a period of rapid growth/development. In  Return of the Jedi Yoda tells Luke “when 900 years old, you age, look as good you will not” establishing that at 900 Yoda is elderly for his species. But I’m watching Empire at the moment and there is another key bit of dialog. When Yoda reveals his identity to Luke he says “for 800 years have I been training Jedi” so at around 100 Yoda was not only a Jedi but experienced enough to teach new Jedi. 

Yet, in the Mandalorian, the child is 50 and still a toddler. Perhaps he will hit a rapid growth period or something soon. As much as the audience loves Baby Yoda. Having the kid grow up rapidly will allow for more stories and use for him besides cuteness. Just the pondering of a Star Wars fan here. 

Chris

I think a lot of you are reading way too far into a show that was never intended to be what you seem to be looking for.  

The show is clearly intended to be simple and fun. Nothing more.

It seems like a lot of you just walked into Burger King and you're complaining that it's not Malone's Steakhouse.;) 

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

I think a lot of you are reading way too far into a show that was never intended to be what you seem to be looking for.  

It seems like a lot of you just walked into Burger King and you're complaining that it's not Malone's Steakhouse.;) 

Was that a BK in the US or Germany? :drinks:

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

Can i still get a Big Mac? :D

11 hours ago, sqidd said:

The same analogy can be applied to a host of recent sequels, reboots and spin-offs... and that's the real danger of appealing to nostalgia.

You're treading on "holy ground" for many.

11 hours ago, sqidd said:

That's usually the case with any show, of course, and yet some of them build up impossible expectations based on decades-old first impressions... leading to inevitable disappointment and fan backlash.  

Star Wars is likely the worst offender in this category... with Star Trek a close second.  :unsure:

9 hours ago, tekering said:

The same analogy can be applied to a host of recent sequels, reboots and spin-offs... and that's the real danger of appealing to nostalgia.

You're treading on "holy ground" for many.

That's usually the case with any show, of course, and yet some of them build up impossible expectations based on decades-old first impressions... leading to inevitable disappointment and fan backlash.  

Star Wars is likely the worst offender in this category... with Star Trek a close second.  :unsure:

I can't not agree with you.

I'm probably not looking at it as a "fan". I of course love Star Wars. It was a huge part of my childhood (born in 72'). I was never THAT into it though. Then the prequels fell a bit flat with me. Not horrible, not fantastic. Then the new batch of stuff........The first one was entertaining. Basically a copy of "A New Hope". Which is not the worst thing in the world. That last one,was a dumpster fire IMO. I may not even see the new one. Or at least not see it until it's free and I'm on my couch.

My Star Wars desires are high. But, my expectations are pretty low at this point. The Mandalorian doesn't have a very high bar to get over.;)

18 hours ago, Dobber said:

Whoa, not complaining....just contemplating. I thought we were al fans and just wanted to discuss it. Clearly it’s easier to just dismiss. Sorry. 

Chris

I'm sorry if I gave you that impression. Looks like a I did a bad job of being "glass half full".

I absolutely enjoy the Mandalorian for what it is. Simple, fun and well executed. It has a very 80's TV feel to it. Would I prefer a darker (but with some levity) more complex story-line? Maybe. I would enjoy that too. Would I want to replace it with that? Maybe not. There are more "serious" shows for when I want to be immersed in that. For example, right after I caught up on The Mandalorian I binged The Expanse season four all the way through (stayed up all night). Completely different animals. I enjoyed both a lot.

I absolutely enjoy the Mandalorian too. I just like to try and fit things into what was established. Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it for what it is, I just noticed the different lines and try to reconcile with what is known. :)

Chris

7 hours ago, Dobber said:

I absolutely enjoy the Mandalorian too. I just like to try and fit things into what was established. Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it for what it is, I just noticed the different lines and try to reconcile with what is known. :)

Chris

I don't try that hard. That sounds like a lot of work.:D

On 12/17/2019 at 1:28 AM, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

This show just got +2 respect points from me for giving Mr. Bill Burr a role.

You know he was STOKED being able to do that.

I thought it was funny that he really didn't have to act. He just did what Bill Burr would have done in that same situation. And it came off great. His humor is spot on for that role. Derived a little bit from anger with heavy sarcasm. Perfect.

If you can't tell, I'm a huge BB fan.:good:

2 hours ago, Knight26 said:

Who is Bill Burr?  I never heard of him before this.

He's mainly known for his stand up, but he was also in Breaking Bad and has done voice work for animated shows and video games. He's a terribly funny dude, I highly recommend the earlier stand up sets Netflix has on him-fun to watch with your better half!

That was awesome!

Spoiler

I wonder who killed Kuill (the Ugnaught):  was it the Scout Troopers, the Ming-Na Wen sniper, or IG-11? :ph34r:

Good to see that Imperial tactics of victory through overkill and winning the battle of attrition are still being utilized. :lol: A good handful of Death Troopers, a battalion of regular Stormies, two speeder bikes, and one TIE?  I bet that Moff was like, "I still need MORE reinforcements."

I got my Star Wars excitement for the week! ;) :p

On 12/18/2019 at 7:20 AM, Knight26 said:

Who is Bill Burr?  I never heard of him before this.

23 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I heard his stand up shows on Netflix are really good, gotta check them out this weekend.

He has a bunch of shows on Netflix. Start with his older stuff and work your way toward new.:good: