Every girl/woman I know is like "OMG!!" Baby Yoda!!! … and wants to know how to watch the show. Disney's not stupid,.. FACT. On another note, there's already memes all over FB with Baby Yoda, just gotta wonder how long until "Baby Shark" gets turned into "Baby Yoda" by someone out there...:rofl:

If you've seen the 7 Samurai you can just skip episode 4.  Instead of 7 there's only 2 defending a village.  The 7 Samurai is a nearly 3 and half hour long movie.  This episode covers it all in about a half an hour.

He makes another 1 or 2 episode partner.  I kind of want these partner characters to stick around.  Either with the Mandalorian as his crew or a separate crew that he just keeps bumping into.

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

If you've seen the 7 Samurai you can just skip episode 4.  Instead of 7 there's only 2 defending a village.  The 7 Samurai is a nearly 3 and half hour long movie.  This episode covers it all in about a half an hour.

He makes another 1 or 2 episode partner.  I kind of want these partner characters to stick around.  Either with the Mandalorian as his crew or a separate crew that he just keeps bumping into.

Good for me that I watched the episode before reading this spoilerish comment.

13 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

If you've seen the 7 Samurai you can just skip episode 4.

I'd say skip it even if you haven't.  Nothing of any consequence happens, and it ends exactly as it began.

Plus, you wouldn't have to suffer through a story so stale (and a setting so dull) even Star Trek did it better.  <_<

So why would an experienced bounty hunter think that leaving such a high-valued "bounty" with a group of "farmers" with little to no combat experience be a good idea?

Did he really think no one else would come looking for the little "womprat"?  Don't those bounty trackers work by giving you an idea of present location of the bounty?

Maybe he just joined the guild a few weeks before we see him in action on the first episode and doesn't yet quite know how things work yet?

Anyway,  just 30 minutes of my time...I guess I can let that one slide.  Still nowhere as idiotic as the entire plot of TLJ! ;)

While I enjoyed the episode and the series as a whole....I am confused on how the whole tracker thing works. Do all of these people have trackers inplanted  in them? If so, then it doesn’t take much skill in “tracking” them down since they just have to follow a beacon. Also, knowing  there is a tracker, why not just remove it?

Chris

Edited by Dobber

11 hours ago, Shadow said:

Honestly felt this has been the weakest of all the episode so far. Still interesting but yeah.... Couldn't help but notice the red lighting inside the AT-ST cockpit. Nice touch for night combat.

Yep, the red lighting also gave the Walker a menacing "look" to it.

After all the hype, finally checked it out on a friend's subscription, and... boy, that is some artificial hype.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fine show. I wouldn't mind seeing more episodes, but I don't feel the need to go out of my way.

I wonder if the Star Wars universe is actually a hindrance. So far it's more... aesthetic than anything else. The lore seems a bit shallow, and I can't help but feel there's some trepidation on the part of the creators to create anything of substance for fear of stepping on some theoretical person's toes.

Anyway. Decent enough so far, not worth getting another subscription service over.

37 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I wonder if the Star Wars universe is actually a hindrance. So far it's more... aesthetic than anything else.

I think that's why it's been so well-received by the fandom.  The sequel trilogy's gotten bogged-down with legacy characters, the overarching mythos of the force, and "SJW" politics, whereas The Mandalorian -- like Rogue One before it -- is just ordinary folks with blasters (and the occasional droid or Imperial Walker thrown in).

Plus, like the original Star Wars, it's just borrowing the trappings of science fiction to retell much older stories.

15 hours ago, tekering said:

I think that's why it's been so well-received by the fandom.  The sequel trilogy's gotten bogged-down with legacy characters, the overarching mythos of the force, and "SJW" politics, whereas The Mandalorian -- like Rogue One before it -- is just ordinary folks with blasters (and the occasional droid or Imperial Walker thrown in).

Plus, like the original Star Wars, it's just borrowing the trappings of science fiction to retell much older stories.

I mean, sure I guess. I suppose my bigger concern is the second point, where they're afraid to go really big on establishing hard lore about Mandalore/Yodas/whatever out of fear of stepping on some theoretical other creator's toes. There's a vague chivalry/bushido thing going on, but it's not like, say, the Sith code or the like.

Eh. Anyway. Decent show so far.

On 11/30/2019 at 8:31 PM, Dobber said:

While I enjoyed the episode and the series as a whole....I am confused on how the whole tracker thing works. Do all of these people have trackers inplanted  in them? If so, then it doesn’t take much skill in “tracking” them down since they just have to follow a beacon. Also, knowing  there is a tracker, why not just remove it?

Chris

It's like a quest marker in a MMORPG... only Bounty Hunters can see it (?)

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Doesn't it just beep more intensely the closer you get? I imagine there MUST be a maximum range on it, too, though IIRC it beeped when the Mando was still at least several planets(/solar systems?) away, so...

Right, so why would he think that hiding the mogwai in the village (even if it is in the middle of nowhere) would do any good?

The first episode implied that bounty hunters needed a place to start for the FOBs to work.  That's where the skill part comes in.  The first episode cut to the Mandalorian landing on the right planet to trigger the FOB, but it may not have been the first planet he visited.  The Mandalorian's goal is to find a planet that is remote enough that it does not get a lot of interstellar traffic.

Taking out the raiders and their AT-ST probably made the bounty hunter grapevine, which caused the bounty hunter to visit the system in the first place.  Once there, the FOB activated and he was able to find the village.  There were references to the fact that they were on the planet for a few weeks before the bounty hunter showed up.

10 hours ago, Darth Mingus said:

Taking out the raiders and their AT-ST probably made the bounty hunter grapevine, which caused the bounty hunter to visit the system in the first place.  Once there, the FOB activated and he was able to find the village.  There were references to the fact that they were on the planet for a few weeks before the bounty hunter showed up.

Forget taking out the AT-ST.  The dude walks into a bar with his shinny Mandalorian armor with a baby Yoda.  That's not going to go unnoticed.

Another cool episode IMO. And finally...

A desert planet that IS Tatooine! Lol

So it seems the point to the series, so far, is just the Mandalorian trying to survive after his “betrayal” and I’m fine with that. Though, something was definitely hinted at at the end of the episode. This episode seemed very much like Star Wars to me especially the fades between scenes. It will need to evolve to something more than just surviving episode after episode, though, and it may be getting there soon.

Chris

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

It will need to evolve to something more than just surviving episode after episode, though, and it may be getting there soon.

This is episode 5 out of 8.  When we get there we're not going to spend that much time.  Formula of The Mandalorian is he arrives somewhere with baby Yoda.  Teams up with the guest star of the week.  They do a predictable side quest.  They part and he leaves with baby Yoda for the next location to repeat the process.