RIP - Carlos Ezquerra (2000AD comic artist)

F-ZeroOne

This may not mean much in the US, but Carlos Ezquerra, one of the most well known artists to have worked for the UK SF anthology comic "2000AD", has died:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/books-comics/60846/judge-dredd-co-creator-carlos-ezquerra-dies

Ezquerra is probably most famous for his work on "Judge Dredd" (having helped co-create the character with John Wagner) but his highly distinctive, tyre-tread outline style was also seen in "Strontium Dog" and a great many other works in collaboration with other well known comic book creators. Theres a lot to choose from, but my pick for his definitive work would be "The Apocalypse War", which can be found in "Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Volume 5".

I grew up reading 2000AD from the age of 8 and now at nearly age 49 I'm still  subscribing and reading it, along with the Judge Dredd Megazine.

I love Ezquerra's work on Strontium Dog, Judge Dredd and the Stainless Steel Rat adaptations, as well as more recently Cursed Earth Coburn.

The man was a huge talent and had a enormous impact on the British comics scene since the 70s. He will be sorely missed.

• 3 months later...
  • azrael locked this topic