Discord

Laundro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about my ignorance. I just googled 'Discord Server' since I don't have idea what is that. And it looks like it's catered more for the gaming field so I just want to ask what Discord can do or what the advantage to use it for MWF? 

Real-time chat across multiple text channels and voice channels, ease of sub-categories for discussion of specific subjects. So you could have an Arcadia channel, HMR channel, all-other-anime channel, Gundam channel, etc. It's in theory set up for use by gaming groups, clans, etc but it's taken over Skype's role as a general text and voice chat platform for social groups.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't see real-time chat working here.  MW members are global.  It could make a lot of people feel left out of the conversations.  Not to mention that a lot of the most active members seem to be in their 30s or 40s.  Their kids would need to teach them and provide tech support for something this modern.  :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 1:52 AM, DewPoint said:

I can't see real-time chat working here.  MW members are global.  It could make a lot of people feel left out of the conversations.  Not to mention that a lot of the most active members seem to be in their 30s or 40s.  Their kids would need to teach them and provide tech support for something this modern.  :rolleyes:

It's really very simple. About as hard as using this forum.

Edited by aurance

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, aurance said:

It's really very simple. About as hard as using this forum.

Battletech is pretty simple too (but they still made The Battletech Manual even after producing an updated Total Warfare). Some of us old ass gonads are complete ROCKS when it comes to modern things.... I look at my kid when he explains stuff to me and I go &^% it, I'll just read a book instead...

Isn't discord a live streamining chat app for gamers so they can talk together insult each other while playing online games?

Why do we need this for a text forum?

Sorry, maybe I'm turning into an old fogey at nearly 50, but I really don't see the point for something like Macrossworld Forums.

And yeah, get off my lawn, ya damn kids! LOL

On 12/13/2018 at 2:26 AM, Graham said:

Isn't discord a live streamining chat app for gamers so they can talk together insult each other while playing online games?

Why do we need this for a text forum?

No, and, Mommar gave a use case up there. It would be good to keep all the sales day insanity in a quick-moving discord chat and the threads here focused on the actual product information, for example, so we don't have to sift through 500 pages of vendor-caused angst.

It's a less formal, more conversational medium. 

I'm 41 btw, so... Whatever.

Edited by aurance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It's worth noting there already is a discord server for SDCon that I've seen a few people from here in. It has some generic chat channels as well as Macross focused stuff aside from the convention related things. It's not especially active, but it is just nice to have options in any case. Doesn't stop me coming here.. you won't get the long form discussions you get here in a Discord chat as the pace is a lot faster in the latter. Forums still have their use, one thing doesn't mean the other is obsolete.

In other words, it's possible to have both, but not everyone needs to use both.

• 9 months later...
On 10/15/2018 at 9:06 AM, no3Ljm said:

Sorry about my ignorance. I just googled 'Discord Server' since I don't have idea what is that. And it looks like it's catered more for the gaming field so I just want to ask what Discord can do or what the advantage to use it for MWF? 

I am glad that I am not the only one who did not know what it was. Thought maybe MW was having some internal strife, thus why I clicked on the thread, hoped Shawn or Graham were not having troubles......and yes, my kids would have to set it up for me and provide tech support......what happened to cursing someone out, face to face? LOL 

For you long timers (about 18-19 years ago)....we tried MW Live Chat on the old forums (2001-2003) LOL...I was a renegade back then!

I completely support any Macross efforts like this-we are a small community that should always be looking out for each other and sticking together.
Newer fans like newer technology and someone should try something like that. That is reminiscent of how Exo took Macross fans to Facebook and started his own thing there.

For me (real old school) I like the lazy reading and lazy scrolling and more importantly the never ending history of pictures and messages that get posted here. If I'm away for a week I can always catch up on new things on my own pace.

Old man Shawn  :)

livechat.jpg

15 hours ago, Shawn said:

For me (real old school) I like the lazy reading and lazy scrolling and more importantly the never ending history of pictures and messages that get posted here. If I'm away for a week I can always catch up on new things on my own pace.

Old man Shawn  :)

I know...kids these days and their Discord-Tik-Tokin-whipper snappers...