Anime-related: Advice for using Yahoo Japan Auctions?

RavenHawk

I hope this is ok to post here. If not, I apologize in advance.

It's anime-related, since I'm looking at an anime item on Yahoo Japan Auctions (where I know a number of folks here shop).

I've never bought anything there, but a fellow member here was just nice enough to send me a link to something I've been looking for for some time.

Anyone here have experience using that site and suggestions they can offer? I've never used it before. It looks like I need a proxy to purchase, receive, and then ship the item to me in the US.

It looks like there are a number of proxies out there, with FromJapan and JapaMart looking pretty good. ZenMarket looks like it might be too good to be legit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

As you are already aware, Yahoo Japan offers a lot of item for a cheaper price (or overpriced) but unfortunately, in order to avail it, you need a middle man or proxy.

One of the choice you included is FromJapan which is what I have been using. I actually prefer it over Buyee since it allows me to change the declared value of the items before it get shipped.  A big plus to avoid additional taxes.

For using FromJapan, I suggest using their protection plan. I have no experience using it so I dont know how reliable. Years ago when there was no such system, I got duped for a PO and have to rely on Paypal to reimburse it, it caused my previous account to be banned.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the advice, and the links to threads which have gone into a lot of detail.

Now it seems like the decision is whether to bid and hope for the best, or just do the buy it now...

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the advice, and the links to threads which have gone into a lot of detail.

Now it seems like the decision is whether to bid and hope for the best, or just do the buy it now...

Actually, the next decision is to educate yourself on the fair market value for the item you are trying to purchase....

If the item has been listed for over 24hrs and it still has a "buy-it-now", it means the BIN price is most likely above the current market value.

Here is some info for helping you figure out the going prices for most items on YJA.....

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/42369-the-new-and-improved-whats-it-worth-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1365860

Edited by jvmacross

5 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Actually, the next decision is to educate yourself on the fair market value for the item you are trying to purchase....

If the item has been listed for over 24hrs and it still has a "buy-it-now", it means the BIN price is most likely above the current market value.

Here is some info for helping you figure out the going prices for most items on YJA.....

It seems like the closed search link just reroutes me to the regular auction site. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice, btw.

37 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

It seems like the closed search link just reroutes me to the regular auction site. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the advice, btw.

Not sure what happened on your end. But try to open this link: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=&p=1%2F60+VF-1&x=0&y=0

And then on the search bar above where the '1/60 VF-1' is listed, try to type something and hit search. It will give you list of finished bidding items.

Edited by no3Ljm

16 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Not sure what happened on your end. But try to open this link: https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/closedsearch/closedsearch?auccat=&tab_ex=commerce&ei=utf-8&aq=-1&oq=&sc_i=&exflg=&p=1%2F60+VF-1&x=0&y=0

And then on the search bar above where the '1/60 VF-1' is listed, try to type something and hit search. It will give you list of finished bidding items.

This link worked. Thank you!

Also take into account the domestic shipping fees. Some postings will not specifically indicate the domestic shipping rate but will just leave the carrier / shipping method they'll use (so you need to familiarize yourself on how to check the rates from those carriers). Additionally, since you mentioned anime item, although not that prevalent like in eBay, there are also counterfeit or at least non-official items (e.g. painted GK copy of an official figure) being posted on YAJ. Usually if you see that the item is originating overseas (in most cases, coming from China), then high chance that it's counterfeit/non-official

Edited by pafy6285