Macross Resin Variable/Transformable Tutorial/Guide

ChristopherB

Hello,

Do you own resin variable kits or want to in the future and would like to have a resource to access when you get time to build them?

I would like to propose a project if anyone is interested in helping.  The creation of a tutorial/guide with step-by-step pictures, or even better if it's a video showing the entire process of building a variable/transformable Macross resin kit.  To include checking/arranging the parts, cleaning/preparation, resin kit safety procedures, sanding/filling resin pin holes/mold seams, test assembly for clearances, primer coats, pinning/screws/polycaps, airbrushing, weathering, panel wash, detailing, decaling and painting techniques to minimize scratches, etc.

A lot of these things apply to fixed pose Macross kits and more so Imai/Arii/Bandai 1/100 & 1/72 variable/transformable plastic kits.  The main differences being that resin kits often don't include clear instructions, don't provide polycaps, resin preparation/safety, use of screws/pins and so forth.

Some Macross resin kits like the Studio HalfEye (S.H.E.) 1/100 line have pretty good instructions, well molded resin parts, and all the screws/pins/caps that are needed.  Whereas others like the I.H.P. are more challenging.  They only come with resin parts, no instructions, and the website linked to by the parts guide is no longer available.  So, if you're interested in the helping it's your choice which kit to use.  Just let me know what your preference is S.H.E., I.H.P., Retppu, etc.

For my part, I'll be happy to provide the resin kit from my collection and sponsor the cost for the build/guide.  If payment isn't preferred, please let me know if something in my For Sale/Trade thread interests you.  The built kit would be added to my collection once the tutorial is completed.  Donations are welcome only for the extra cost that the builder might ask to make the tutorial if you also want to learn more about the process.

Thank you in advance and please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.  If you know of anyone that might be interested in assisting, please contact them,

Christopher :hi:

Edited by ChristopherB
Grammar

Commission projects that are ongoing, Club M 1/72 YF-21 and YF-19.  They're being built by a longtime friend and MW member.  The wing and rear cockpit panels can be covered or left open to show the interior details.  Anyone else have pictures of their resin kit work-in-progress to share?

A philosophical question that's been on my mind for a while.  I would love to hear everyone's opinion:

Super rare resin kit:

1.) Build it, display it, share pictures with MW, and maybe pass it down to someone special for them to enjoy?

2.) Keep a box of jumbled resin parts inside a dusty box that someone will find one day and wonder what to do with it, or if you're lucky have the desire/skill to build it?

On one hand, if it's built, your family can see it, appreciate it what it means to you, and maybe one day feel lucky to have it passed down to them.  However, once it's built the resale value as a kit is gone, but would a collector pay even more for a built version of a rare kit?

If a family member is cleaning out your house and finds a mysterious box of white resin and Japanese instructions, will it even have a value in (40) years if there are no more Macross collectors buying?  Will they throw it away, put it on eBay not knowing the value, garage sale, etc?

Of course you won't care what happens to them when you're gone, but rather let's consider from the present.   :good:

Club M 1-72 YF-21 Project 2.jpg

Club M 1-72 YF-21 Project 5.jpg

Club M 1-72 YF-19 Work-In-Progress 1.jpg

Club M 1-72 YF-19 Work-In-Progress 2.jpg

Edited by ChristopherB
Grammar

I agree, the pictures are just of some works-in-progress I wanted to share, completely unrelated to my question.  ;)

If you need something more specific, let's say one of these kits mentioned by Carl Hoff (17) years ago:

L-Trans-R kits

NEED THESE
1:72 transformable YF-19
1:72 transformable YF-21

Personally I don't know of anyone that owns one, and have never seen one for sale.  Either way, just imagine the most rare Macross resin kit and see what you would do with it if you were the owner.  Thank you!  :hi:

So, I can't quite claim to even have a horse in the race here, since I don't collect or build resin kits... but in the case that I ever came into possession of one?

The first thing I would want to do?  Build a digital replica of the kit to preserve the design in some format.  I think once things like this reach a certain age, they pass from the realm of a collectible, and more into something that should be preserved for reference.

I know things of this nature get touchy, due to all the situations involving recasting.  But at the same time, I think there comes a point where a particular resin kit may be so rare that it's more beneficial for the modeling community as a whole to never touch the original kit, and either keep it preserved as a reference for what came before, or use it as the starting point for a newly designed kit.

I think for a lot of us, even if we did build the kit, and appreciate it on display for many years, that's no guarantee that anyone it is passed down to would be able to appreciate it the same way.  When that happens, the kit might end up any number of ways, everything from being sold off to a collector, to being passed on to a five-year-old to play with.

There kind of is no in-between... if you want to enjoy your kit, then you should build it, and if you want to preserve it, you should keep it in a sealed box that will protect it, and maybe sell it to a collector someday.  I'd say it's like buying two of a comic book or toy to keep one in mint condition, but when things get this rare, that's not always an option.

The only alternative where you can have your cake and eat it too is if you take the time to make yourself a copy of the design, through whatever methods you have available.  Whether that means hand-carving a new master, recasting the original, or digitally measuring, scanning, and re-engineering the kit to be 3D-printed, it's ultimately up to you whether you keep the design to yourself, or share it.  I think under very specific circumstances, there are times when recasting should be seen as a viable way to preserve a rare kit design so that it doesn't disappear entirely.

That being said... technology is crazy today, and models and toys are both getting better by the minute  With so many companies cranking out better and better products so quickly, I feel like those old rare kits are becoming less and less desirable to build, and lend themselves better to remaining as unbuilt collectibles.  They were good for their time, but many have been surpassed by models that are easier to build, more detailed, and much cheaper to acquire. 

Personally, I'd much rather have a toy than a transforming resin model, because I'm a fidgety maniac with all things mechanical, and I'd rather have something that will hold up to repeated transformations. :) 

On September 4, 2018 at 10:32 PM, Salamander said:

I wouldn't call the Club-M kits "super-rare". You can still find them for 2,000-5,000 yen a piece on Y! Auctions Japan and Mandarake...

I have a small collection of Macross resin kits and  Mokoto Kobayashi Dragons Heavens (some Chinese recasts), as well. 

And I love them!

I do  consider any resin kits to be somewhat rare in that they require a lot of love , usually, and patience. And also because they're not really main stream. 

I too prefer well designed, well built toys as they can handle repeated handling and showing off. 

But the modeler in me just loves the resin stuff!

• 2 months later...

I like the poetic ramblings here, so I will jump in.

I say, if you have a kit with a mind to build it, build it.  If you are worried, get a few less important kits and practice on those first. You might be surprised how happy you are with the results.  Just don't leave them on the shelf for 30 years, unless collecting's your thing.

My modeling skills leave much to be desired, but even the simple resin kits I have done gave me a serious adrenaline rush (I'm into old Kaiyodos, Tsukuda, and General Products, for Nadia, Nausicaa and Gainax kits).  You really have to tenderly massage these babies into place. Unlike plastic kits, you often have to reshape the parts to make them fit. But there is a lot of fun and satisfaction from the manual sanding and fitting process that you don't get with modern kits.

The only downside is that I hate the noxious resin dust, and I wear a gas mask at all times, which hurts my face after hours of sanding!!!!!

BTW, whoever did that 21 is one mean modelling master.

• 8 months later...

Update:  Good news, I found (2) experienced modellers interested in making variable resin kit tutorials!  I sent one (2) IHP 1/100 kits (YF-19 & YF-21) and the other (2) Experten 1/100 kits (VF-171 & VF-19).   :lol:

The Garage Kit Companies (some samples from each company, not my entire variable collection):

Experten 1/72 & 1/100 & Super Deformed (SD):  Resin is usually very nice, includes decals and the creator provides 3D exploded assembly instructions for all kits.  They are still in business.  Screws, poly caps and plastic rods used to assemble.  VF-19A & VF-17D/S built by the Experten.  They have 20+ different kits, almost all Macross valkyries covered of which I own most.

I.H.P. 1/72 & 1/100:  Very, very rare I'm lucky to have a partially built YF-19 and one new in box, plus (6) other kits.  No idea what their name stands for if anyone knows.  You can see the partially built YF-21 showing screws, poly caps, scratch build and rods.  Amazing transformation.

Retppu 1/100:  They only released one variable kit that I know of, but wow it's amazing!  Very nice resin, complete with poly caps, white metal parts and even landing gear.  I have two of these.  Pretty hard to find.

Studio Half Eye (S.H.E.) 1/100:  They released around (10) different valkyries.  I have around (20) of them and the separate armor sets.  They provide nice instructions, screws, clear canopy, etc.

Yellow Submarine 1/100:  One variable kit, pretty easy to find, and includes everything you need.  Very nice resin and assembly instructions, great for your first variable.

Two pictures show just how amazing a built Experten 1/100 YF-21 looks, and I'm fortunate to have one that's partially assembled!  There's also L Trans R and Project D"Stance that I know of.  If I missed any other garage kit companies that released Macross variable resin kits, please let me know.

Yellow Submarine 1-100 VF-1A-S Super - Strike Variable Valkyrie.jpg

Studio Half Eye 1-100 VF-5000B & Super Pack.jpg

Retppu 1-100 YF-19 Excalibur Variable Valkyrie (1).jpg

I.H.P. 1-100 Variable Kits (1).jpg

I.H.P. 1-100 Variable Kits (2).jpg

Experten 1-100 YF-21 Valkyrie (1).JPG

Experten 1-72 Variable Kits (1).jpg

Experten 1-100 Variable Kits (1).jpg

Experten 1-100 YF-21 & YF-19 Super Deformed Variable Valkyrie (1).jpg

Experten 1-100 YF-21 Super Deformed Variable Valkyrie (1).jpg

Experten 1-100 YF-21 Battroid (1).JPG

Edited by ChristopherB