Building a VF-0 with reactive armoured

Andre Dutra

Hi guys, I bumped into this forum and liked the topics exclusively dedicated to Macross.

I’m building a VF-0 droid of Roy Focker with reactive armored set.

Already set light to the head and will place it on a base launching missiles from the chest and with two blasts at a base.

Current status at the pictures added

15BF6DBB-E30E-4E66-9A44-FDE55265B4C4.jpeg

7B50D599-E44C-43B6-98AD-8F85C04FB90E.jpeg

FC11A9BD-940D-4F75-B9BA-7F1880043B0A.jpeg

560278CD-B496-4FE5-8CBB-CC813F830146.jpeg

20 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Hello, welcome to the forums. Nice job so far. Is the "droid" simply referring to the inclusion of lights? Or are you motorizing it as well?

Hi and thanks for the welcome! The set is a Hasegawa battledroid from MACROSS ZERO. The led is a custom set that I made.

1 hour ago, Gatsu said:

hi Andrea. I have the same kit but i don t know when i m going to build it. Have you ever thounbk about modifing it so that you can show it without armour as well?

Hi Gatsu. It is an interesting idea. I haven’t thought about it.

Would be required a lot of cutting and at the moment I can’t see a practical way to do it, in special for the legs.

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Your VF-0S is looking amazing, looking forward to the finished product! B))

P.S. be careful with those hip joints for the legs, they can break very easily. Of my four (4) kits three snapped. 

Hi! Thanks for the advice!! I’ll connect the legs before fixing anything else to facilitate the handling.

3 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Your VF-0S is looking amazing, looking forward to the finished product! B))

P.S. be careful with those hip joints for the legs, they can break very easily. Of my four (4) kits three snapped. 

+1. You can mitigate the issue by lightly sanding down the socket the ball joint goes into (or shaving the ball joint slightly), which would make the joint a bit loose but at least you don't have to worry about the delicate plastic (much more delicate but better able to hold detail than Bandai's) breaking or warping.

Best of luck, looking forward to the final results.

10 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

+1. You can mitigate the issue by lightly sanding down the socket the ball joint goes into (or shaving the ball joint slightly), which would make the joint a bit loose but at least you don't have to worry about the delicate plastic (much more delicate but better able to hold detail than Bandai's) breaking or warping.

Best of luck, looking forward to the final results.

Thanks for the tip. If I would set just the model it would be a great idea, but I’ll place it at this base with two explosions effects and also simulate the missiles been launched by the chest. :)

221D6088-568E-489B-8919-1B2CEEA58F38.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hm... Is that what the actual missiles look like when launched? Or are they only partially molded? I can understand why you wouldn't bother scratchbuilding the missing sections if they are incomplete. That would be such a pain.

Also, I meant to ask earlier, but are you planning on diffusing and/or dimming the light in the head? It looks very bright coming out of the head, and drowns out any other details in the area.

Also also, I forgot if you were adding LEDs to the thrusters/exhaust. Yes/No?

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Hm... Is that what the actual missiles look like when launched? Or are they only partially molded? I can understand why you wouldn't bother scratchbuilding the missing sections if they are incomplete. That would be such a pain.

Also, I meant to ask earlier, but are you planning on diffusing and/or dimming the light in the head? It looks very bright coming out of the head, and drowns out any other details in the area.

Also also, I forgot if you were adding LEDs to the thrusters/exhaust. Yes/No?

Hi, I watched the “missile overkill” part in macross zero to check the missiles. They don’t have the regular missile section in the back. To scratch them would be very hard indeed.

Regarding the head light, the cell is adding more bright than the normal.

For the thrusters no light. Tried to add light to the green and red beacons in the back, but couldn’t find a way to pass the wires and leds.