Star Wars Resistance

Has this been posted? I search and found Clone Wars and Rebels topics, but no topic for the new series. Anyway, here's the teaser for those who haven't seen it yet. The racing angle reminds me of something else I've read about here... wish I could remember what it was...:p

The art is taking a different direction from previous SW animated releases. The shading kind of reminds me of that used in TRON: Uprising.

As an unrelated aside, remembering TRON: Uprising brought on a bit of melancholy since that story was never finished on screen. I hope this show has longer legs.

The character animations are quite flat compared to Clone wars. All the ship and droid action is ok cgi candy , I guess. It also comes across more light hearted and "younged" down than the Clone wars, less gritty right from the start. 

While I DO wish Disney the best in their SW endeavors, I don't have any real hope they are going to impress me with this one. 

Wow, uhmm... That's so Flat and Lifeless.  At least Clone Wars and Rebels were visually connected; Resistance looks like it's from an entirely different franchise, like it doesn't even belong to the same universe on a fundamental visual level.

On a snide and cynical side, it does "match" the "flat and lifeless" vibe of the new trilogy this'll be tying in to.

Really hope the kid ditches Poe, finds himself in the Outer Rims or Unknown Regions, pushed back in time about 10-20 years, and winds up on a little “trip” with Sabine Wren and Ahsoka the White.

;)

Skyland. I haven’t seen that before now, but the show looks like an even better match to SWR’s animation style. Thanks @Old_Nash. Not quite sure how I feel about the change but I’m willing to give it a chance. I wasn’t into the Clone Wars aesthetic at first either, but I warmed up to it later.

Anyway, since Clone Wars is getting another season and it has been reported that Dave Filoni isn’t the showrunner for Resistance like he was for Clone Wars and Rebels, I’m curious to see how that helps or hinders things.

With regard to the movie tie-in, yeah I understand how that’s a downer, but animated Clone Wars kind of saved the prequel movies for me. Crossing my fingers that good lightning strikes again. Besides, I’m not really upset about TFA and TLJ. They were ok.

Edited by technoblue

3 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Ugh, why did Disney pick this animation style? Because of looks or low cost, both? It worked for TRON: Uprising but not this or much else for that matter. Bringing up TRON: Uprising makes me miss that show more :(

Man, I never did get to finish that show due to Disney’s crappy shuffling of it’s time slot. I really need to track it down and watch it from the start again. It was so good.

Chris

15 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Ugh, why did Disney pick this animation style? Because of looks or low cost, both? It worked for TRON: Uprising but not this or much else for that matter. Bringing up TRON: Uprising makes me miss that show more :(

Tron was awesome, sucks it got canned.

• 1 month later...

I'm even more interested in this now. Thanks for posting it here @kajnrig. I was getting a Macross the Ride vibe from the first trailer, but this extended trailer goes even deeper into the spy/resistance angle and I can see how that will help to draw people in and make it appealing to older fans. Man, I hope this catches the same magic that Clone Wars and Rebels was able to capture, even with the different art direction I think it has potential.

Edited by technoblue

Have to admit, I'd love to see kits of the assorted ships they've got running around there.  They look like the classic EU "ugly" type, mis-matched kitbashes of existing ship components.  Also liking the designs a lot better than anything that's come out of the new trilogy. :p 

I'm cautiously optimistic, this looks like it has the potential to be pretty good at filling in the backstory to TFA.

4 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

hmm art style is very "flat"....not my preference but i'll give it a chance.  these tv series really more about character building and plot anyway.  don't expect to be blown away by visuals

I don’t understand what you mean.  It’s cell shaded, looks fine.

• 4 months later...

I've been following it.  So far, it's been pretty harmless and irreverent, mostly because it's a self-contained environment with a small number of characters;  and BB-8 is the only regular character to influence the Star Wars universe beyond the limited setting.  Unlike Rebels, which focused on The Force and eventually involved the Emperor himself, Resistance has been pretty generic sci-fi stuff.  It also demonstrates Disney's typical play-it-safe approach, so it's not likely to piss off the fandom... if it manages to make any impact at all.

• 5 months later...

It was already noted that the show had a much more limited scope when compared to other SW animated series, so yeah no surprise that Disney set a timer. 

The hyperbole is just opinion, though. The show was an okay sci-fi romp in the SW universe. Nothing to complain about really, but nothing that stands out either. I am happy that we're getting a final season. Other projects that are now under the Disney umbrella haven't even been given that much leeway in recent days.

Never mind about the show.  What about the toys?

Star-Wars-Resistance-2.jpg

Are we ever gonna get figures of principal characters like Neeku and Tam?

MV5BMTkyMTc3NjAwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTU1

Their absence from the toyline has not gone unnoticed.  :unsure:

Seriously, for a show as toyetic as this, there's a pathetic lack of merchandising. Disney and Hasbro have really dropped the ball.  

I mean, even this TLJ turd got a toy...

81ikec78fqL._SL1500_.jpg

...but these designs aren't good enough?

star-wars-resistance-torra-doza-blue-ace

latest?cb=20180925184213&path-prefix=de

resistance-db-green-ace-racer-main-image

latest?cb=20180915032839

star-wars-resistance-fireball-ship-datab

resistance-db-black-ace-racer-main-image

Talk about a wasted opportunity.  <_<

While the ship designs were interesting, and kind of cool.  I only really liked the ones that were purpose built ships.  I've never liked the UGLY concept.  Sure, swapping parts, engines, etc... on a car or boat works, but you can't really Hot Rod an aero-spacecraft like that.  The design requirements and G loads would make them rip apart. 

3 hours ago, tekering said:

Never mind about the show.  What about the toys?

Are we ever gonna get figures of principal characters like Neeku and Tam?

Their absence from the toyline has not gone unnoticed.  :unsure:

Seriously, for a show as toyetic as this, there's a pathetic lack of merchandising. Disney and Hasbro have really dropped the ball.  

I mean, even this TLJ turd got a toy...

...but these designs aren't good enough?

Hasbro will get to them just as soon as they release their figures of Pong Krell, Fives in ARC getup, Bounty Hunter Ventress, Mandos in Maul-style armor, Obi in Mando Armor, Dual-Wielding Palpy, late seasons Ezra Bridger, Thrawn, blind and bearded Kanan, clean cut Kanan, Dark Saber wielding Sabine, Governor Pryce, the Ghost, Clan Wren Mandos, Mando Transport ships, pre-R1 Saw Guerrera, the three-winged TIE, Kallus in Rebel gear, the speeder bikes the Rebels use, Old Hermit Maul, Tatooine Obi, the Imperial transport ship from THAT Rebels episode, the Lothal Wolves, Hondo’s Ughnaught sidekick, Ahsoka the White, Jacen Syndulla, and a few others I’m sure I’m forgetting. :D

Edited by Mog