I've never been a fan of the Quanta design but that's just 'cause it looks horribly un-balanced; I'll probably get one of these and a Quanta in the hope of rigging up a mostly symmetrical Quanta with both shoulder attachments.

If it works it seems like it should look like an actual upgrade of the 00 Raiser.

Edited by Jaustin89

1 hour ago, Jaustin89 said:

I've never been a fan of the Quanta design but that's just 'cause it looks horribly un-balanced; I'll probably get one of these and a Quanta in the hope of rigging up a mostly symmetrical Quanta with both shoulder attachments.

If it works it seems like it should look like an actual upgrade of the 00 Raiser.

Not gonna work. The shoulder armaments are attached to the backpack. There's not enough space for 2 backpacks even. 

3 hours ago, Jaustin89 said:

Yea I thought about that too sometime ago with buying a second mb qant, modifying it heavily and its a no go. 

1 hour ago, crackpot said:

Not gonna work. The shoulder armaments are attached to the backpack. There's not enough space for 2 backpacks even. 

Exactly. To modify one backpack to fit two shields would require some major cutting, restructuring and support for the 2nd shield/armament. 

EDIT:

I'll just hope and wait for bandai to eventually release the extra armament version... lol

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

4 minutes ago, F360 said:

yeah.. ...true, they been doing it more often now,........ 

Bluefin stated on their ig/twitter that they will have a 'big' announcement to make this year 2020 (it was on a response on one of the mb snow white wing posts). Which made everyone believe/assume it was regarding pbandai stuff.

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Exia sees what the Quanta is doing and is like "Gonna get me some of that."

I dunno, it just seems redundant. It's the Quanta with some Exia kibble here and there. This when the Quanta was already itself an iteration on the Exia.

Technically its Exia with a Quanta kibble and not the other way around. It makes sense in universe.

5 hours ago, F360 said:

yeah.. ...true, they been doing it more often now,........ 

5 hours ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

Bluefin stated on their ig/twitter that they will have a 'big' announcement to make this year 2020 (it was on a response on one of the mb snow white wing posts). Which made everyone believe/assume it was regarding pbandai stuff.

Especially the funnels and snow white, only japan and america has officially opened pro-order so I would assume bluefin wold have R4

SOLD OUT for now.. 2nd batch incoming next month

"METAL BUILD GUNDAM EXIA REPAIR IV" has been accepted for shipment in July due to its popularity, and we will resume receiving orders again in the next month. Please wait for the following information for details.

11 hours ago, Jaustin89 said:

Just a heads up that my MB 00Qant is still available in the F/S thread. ;) 

1 hour ago, F360 said:

SOLD OUT for now.. 2nd batch incoming next month

"METAL BUILD GUNDAM EXIA REPAIR IV" has been accepted for shipment in July due to its popularity, and we will resume receiving orders again in the next month. Please wait for the following information for details.

A good friend already ordered me one. The R4 is a good closure on my MB Setsuna’s suits. (I know. It’s Graham’s.) Until the 00Qant ELS. Will see ofcourse. Hehehe. :D 

Edited by no3Ljm

Anyone with a 00 Quant willing to take some close up pictures of the armature for the shoulder attachment and how it connects to the backpack so I can get an idea of the level of modding I'm signing up for before I start spending money on this plan?

I'm a mechanical designer so no matter how it attaches reworking it isn't impossible; especially since from all the pictures I'm seeing on product pages seem to indicate the repair 4's backpack/armature is largely a mirror of the Quant's which should eliminate the factor of prducing a mirrored armature. At worst I'd just need to dissect and splice the backpacks together.

At the same time there's a reason I go for Metal Builds rather than model kits so if I'd need to really tear things apart and do a lot of finish work to get it looking decent I'm not sure the end result would be worth the effort and money (especially since my OCD won't let me cut up my only copy of something and I'm automatically in for two copies of each figure).

Edited by Jaustin89

@Jaustin89 I would but mine is already buried... lol. I did look at it extensively (I have access to a 3d printer, cad software, etc.). Iirc it would take an entire rework of the blue plastic housing that the metal arm is connected to and i think it was reinforced by quarter semi metal ring that the base of the metal arm was casted/molded into. It might've been nailed/rivited in as well... lol.

So to combine the two would require cutting the blue painted plastic backpack bracket, finding enough room to accommodate the 2nd metal arm. If both metal arms have a semi-circular shape to contour to the qant's backpack (the qant has that gn particle container through its chest and sticks out the back).

Or just better off redesigning one from scratch and have it 3d printed.

Unless you plan to use the qant's left shoulder for the exia r4. Then this would/might be the opposite.

1 hour ago, Jaustin89 said:

Anyone with a 00 Quant willing to take some close up pictures of the armature for the shoulder attachment and how it connects to the backpack so I can get an idea of the level of modding I'm signing up for before I start spending money on this plan?

From Hacchaka. Hope it helps.

76CC37A8-DA92-4DE8-9294-FB77A7B8BB8C.jpeg

C703E6FA-3147-4902-B6C7-F4A7733D2D0B.jpeg

9E3AC7B3-DCBA-45AA-B131-6F04AB0640F5.jpeg

Some video reviews:

Edited by no3Ljm

Thanks, it does look like it's going to need a new backpack design to accommodate the armatures. It also seems they're not mirrors; the design sketches on P-Bandai's page show the Exia R4's arm attaching at a ~45° angle vs. the horizontal attachment in the Quant which could make it tricky to accommodate both without looking weird.

I ordered an R4 and the cheapest Quant I could find (~¥16000/$150 shipped); I'll evaluate whether I want to pick up spares and start cutting or resell them once I have both in hand.

Wow 150 for the qant is a great price! Yea i think the main reason why i didnt do the mod was even if I picked up a 2nd qant and reverse/flip the arm for the shield (and used both left shoulders for symmetry), the metal semi-circular base under the backpack was asymmetrical. 

Now if i had one of those fancy metal 3d printers then I would've probably attempted it... XD

Edit: I guess when I get home I'll see if i can dig it up.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

2 hours ago, Jaustin89 said:

Thanks, it does look like it's going to need a new backpack design to accommodate the armatures. It also seems they're not mirrors; the design sketches on P-Bandai's page show the Exia R4's arm attaching at a ~45° angle vs. the horizontal attachment in the Quant which could make it tricky to accommodate both without looking weird.

I ordered an R4 and the cheapest Quant I could find (~¥16000/$150 shipped); I'll evaluate whether I want to pick up spares and start cutting or resell them once I have both in hand.

First, I'd like to formally state that I think this is a terrible idea. That said if you're dead set on doing this you'd be much better off just using two quantas. The armature has the articulation to switch sides, you just need to figure out how to mount the second arm. And with two quantas you'll have the extra shoulder/arm pieces. (Plus the markings will actually match).

Edited by anime52k8

There was a MB Quanta Full Saber, right? What are the chances the Full Saber can be detached from its arm and the Exia's shield installed in its place? Or perhaps replace the backpack of either the Quanta/Exia with the one from the Full Saber. Seems it would be a simpler albeit expensive solution to the problem.

I mean personally I love the Quanta's asymmetry, but I can see why people wouldn't.

EDIT: Welp, guess I was wrong about that. Maybe there was a third-party Full Saber? Iunno.

Edited by kajnrig

Wow! Those backpack quant pictures are great. It looks like Bandai already put in the legwork of making both sides symmetrical by adding a second arm installation point.  Maybe all that needs to be done to test this is to unscrew the cover and see if you can attach the same arm but on the other side of the back pack. 

36 minutes ago, Sandman said:

What is this from? Not digging the yellow.

RX-78-01 Prototype Gundam

Think of it like test dummy B))

One Year War

When Denim and Gene were taking a look at a Guntank being used as a mock target, Ash encountered a new enemy in his Zaku. When the enemy fired its Vulcans, they decided to engage it. All three Zakus kept on firing their hyper rifles at it but after the clouds of smoke cleared, they saw that their shots hit the Prototype's Gundam shield [1]. The Prototype Gundam was destroyed after it shot through a Zaku II's fusion reactor at close range with the beam rifle, triggering an explosion [2].

795001521_11gundam_the_origin_mechanics(1).thumb.jpg.af06178a622500997283e37b4f0c6289.jpg303190100_1344636518673(1).thumb.jpg.fd4ab429fb4e30072fc01ee031fd8585.jpg

RX-78-01[N] Gundam Local Type

History

After Dr. Tem Ray's RX-78 plan gained the backing of the Earth Federation Forces, a separate team was appointed for environmental performance and durability testing of the RX-78 on Earth [2]. It was constructed mainly with surplus parts for the RX-78-01 Prototype Gundam. Originally it had an all-gold color-scheme like the RX-78-01 and a space use backpack equipped with a shoulder cannon. Later, it would be refitted into a new mobile suit, gaining a new color scheme and being equipped with underwater equipment for offshore testing [3] There was also another unit with a black color scheme [4][3][5].

Gundam_Local_Type_01.jpg.fb399414a665de59425cac685f411399.jpg

Gundam_Local_Type_02.jpg.3450294b13d29927fecbd13d9d8691d5.jpg

Gundam_Local_Type_03.jpg.0147c8bc551175243fac7067c71b49fa.jpg

1 hour ago, Grey728 said:

Wow! Those backpack quant pictures are great. It looks like Bandai already put in the legwork of making both sides symmetrical by adding a second arm installation point.  Maybe all that needs to be done to test this is to unscrew the cover and see if you can attach the same arm but on the other side of the back pack. 

Thanks, but unfortunately the metal arm is not symmetrical enough to just buy a 2nd qant and reverse the positioning. There's a small metal tab that sits further back (on the bottom) and I'm sure the small detail/pattern isn't repeated on the back side of the metal piece.

3 hours ago, PsYcHoDyNaMiX said:

@Jaustin89

Sorry for the late reply,  but I hope these help:

Thanks, this is actually looking a fair bit easier than I was anticipating. I'd assumed the backpack was closed and sealed and I'd be destroying it to even get a look at the structure; but with that construction it looks like I should be able to fully disassemble it without damaging anything (provided nothing is glued in).

Assuming what people are saying about the range of motion on the arm is accurate (and that seems to be the case based on the joints in those pictures) this could end up being as simple as pulling the arm out of a second Quant, grinding down that protrusion on the bottom, cutting an opening on the other side of the shell and installing the arm.

Absolute worst case seems to be that I have to 3D print a new shell and a mirror of the metal bracket and re-pin the arm to the new bracket. It should be ~$30-50 through shapeways to print that in steel; expensive but fairly negligible against the cost of 2 more Quant's if I go through with this.