Dark Crystal age of resistance on Netflix

Bolt

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

The story is done in such a way that I'm able to connect with the puppet heroes emotionally.

If younger audiences can manage to do the same (as opposed to say, @peter's revulsion), the show may survive another season...

This tidbit is part of The Crystal Calls documentary, which is also on Netflix.

The Crystal Calls?  That's the title of the penultimate episode... and the documentary uses the same title?  :huh:

Edited by tekering

28 minutes ago, tekering said:

If younger audiences can manage to do the same (as opposed to say, @peter's revulsion), the show may survive another season...

Yeah. I have hope, and my experience with younger family members maps closer to what @Tking22 shared above. Still, we'll find out once Netflix has time to crunch numbers.

The Crystal Calls?  That's the title of the penultimate episode... and the documentary uses the same title?  :huh:

The full title is a mouthful.

The Crystal Calls: Making of the Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

If you don't want to wait to the very end, you should be able to call the bonus documentary up by searching Netflix for The Crystal Calls.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2019 at 10:56 AM, Keith said:

I just hope they kick back into production for the second season.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, TangledThorns said:

Hope there is a second season!!

I don't see how that's possible, given the ending of the series.  Any fan of The Dark Crystal knows that the Garthim exterminated all the Gelfling, so depicting their creation by skekTek pretty much wraps up the backstory to the film.  

Would you expect another ten episodes would be made, just to dramatize the Gelfling purge?  The Dark Crystal: Age of Extinction?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, tekering said:

I don't see how that's possible, given the ending of the series.  Any fan of The Dark Crystal knows that the Garthim exterminated all the Gelfling, so depicting their creation by skekTek pretty much wraps up the backstory to the film.  

There's plenty, plenty, plenty of time between where the series ends, and the original film begins. What about Deet's story and her darkening infection? What about the Garthim War? How do the Skeks get the Crystal "working" again like normal so to speak, by the time the film starts? What happens to Rian? How do the entirety of the Gelfing people fall after uniting? I feel there's more then enough story for at least several more seasons. 

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Would you expect another ten episodes would be made, just to dramatize the Gelfling purge?  The Dark Crystal: Age of Extinction?  :unsure:

Yes. Or, work within that timeline on something new and interesting, like the first season. Flip expectations, make a story for the season people think is shallow, and they know, then surprise them like this first season, which was more then just a lead up to the creation of the Garthim. Knowing how it all ends was already a criticism lobbed at the first season, if it didn't apply there, I don't see how it would apply to further seasons. Also, the big mcguffin, the crystal shard, just popped up at the end, there's zero chance that doesn't have another little adventure before landing where it should be for the start of the film. 

Either way, Henson studios already revealed they have content and ideas for a second season, and are ready for it, it all depends on Netflix and how well the first season's viewership was. 

Question about the Garthim.  Are they supposed to have two furry bipedal legs in addition to the crab/spider legs or was that just the limitation of special effects at the time?

latest?cb=20080810205500

vs no leg:

085d286a60d657d92d8f223703f0bdaf.jpg

10 hours ago, peter said:

Question about the Garthim.  Are they supposed to have two furry bipedal legs in addition to the crab/spider legs or was that just the limitation of special effects at the time?

<snip>

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say it's a limitation of the original movie's effects work.

The new series doesn't need to disguise as much because CGI is being utilized as a tool to enhance the practical and mechanical effects. For instance, the larger puppets need two or three people to operate, which creates a lot of extra fluff when shooting film. The documentary shows how some of this gets cleaned up in post-processing.

Finished season one. Wow. Epic..

They could definitely go another season . Or leave us guessing the rest until there's no more Gelflings and they're only left to draining podlings for essence in the original film.

Loved this iteration, it was awesome.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, that was disappointing. I was hoping to see at least one more season or a feature-length piece connecting this chapter to the original Henson film. I guess we'll never know the reason it was cancelled, or see any actual viewer numbers. There's a lot of he-said/she-said which lends to odd conspiracy theories which I just don't buy anymore.

I do know that those in my direct circle loved the show. Oh well. :unknw:

Welcome to the new Netflix:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix-raises-price-of-standard-premium-plans-11604000757

I need to rethink my use model for these streaming sites. The return on my monthly investment is dwindling.

Netflix cancellations are becoming a trend, just to give more perspective to this:

https://www.businessinsider.com/best-canceled-netflix-shows-one-day-at-a-time-daredevil-2019-6#26-ozark-canceled-after-4-seasons-1

It's still unfortunate that Dark Crystal is one of those rare, unique shows that got only one season. I do hope that the Henson Company can some day find another way to finish the story they were working on.

I heard this was canceled a while back and hate to say that I’m almost getting used to how Netflix treats shows with a fandom. Every time I get into something it seems they are quick to cancel and it’s very disappointing no matter what the reason is. 

7 hours ago, Thom said:

I Not Okay, with I Am Not Okay With This being cancelled! What the great and terrible feck!

That was the only show I was really interested in, but why are they cancelling so many such acclaimed shows?

It's a shame to see Dark Crystal cancelled, all that work & effort to bring it to life again. That said I am thankful that Netflix gave it a chance & truly enjoyed it, who knows maybe they'll try again in the future. 

As for "I Am Not Okay With This" being cancelled, I call BS to that decision. They left us on a massive cliffhanger with ZERO questions answered... Not cool Netflix.  

51 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

It's a shame to see Dark Crystal cancelled, all that work & effort to bring it to life again. That said I am thankful that Netflix gave it a chance & truly enjoyed it, who knows maybe they'll try again in the future. 

As for "I Am Not Okay With This" being cancelled, I call BS to that decision. They left us on a massive cliffhanger with ZERO questions answered... Not cool Netflix.  

They need someone in charge who'll compare lists of shows to be cancelled with lists of shows with cliff hangar endings - and DON'T CANCEL THOSE SHOWS!!