Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

JMO...Trek is dead until they are off CBS all access and drop the SJW narrative.  Trek was always a progressive and forward-thinking show.  Then they got all in your face about it and decided to fleece the fans.  I'm personally done with ST and SW, but I hope ST can get it back on the rails of telling interesting, smart science fiction about conflict resolution. 

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

No surprise: I think Doomc*ck's results may be less of actual research and more wishfull thinking.

Well, either that or they used a different set of search terms to compile their data.

After a bit more fiddling last night, I'm inclined to suspect a little from Column A, and a little from Column B.  I did some experimenting with searches on series acronyms and with vs. without the colon in the title and found that it WAS actually possible to reproduce some of their results.  It's slightly more problematic to use Discovery's official acronym since that's shared with all manner of other DSCs, whereas TNG, DS9, and VOY largely have Star Trek as the dominant user of the abbreviation.  If you specify that the search term is an American television series, most of Star Trek: Discovery's apparent advantage disappears and its performance is very similar to the other Star Trek shows barring spikes around the premieres of each season of the series in worldwide search performance.  (MUCH less pronounced for season two though.)  I'm not sure how odd this necessarily is, since these shows are still on the air in reruns around the world.  If they weren't, it'd probably be a bad sign for Discovery.

Curiously, in the by-region breakdown, search interest in Star Trek: Discovery is mostly localized in Asia and Eastern Europe.  Of the 42 regions to be identified in the query in the time window I specified (Nov 1 2015 to today) that covers the lifespan of Star Trek: Discovery's development and production from the first public announcement onwards, there are only 2 western european countries in the top 10 (France and Spain) and the United States is #40 of 42, with only Hungary and Japan showing less non-zero interest.  If Doomcock had made the argument that Star Trek: Discovery is far and away the least searched among North American audiences he'd have had an entirely valid point.  The US is in the top 10 for searches made on every other Star Trek show save Enterprise... and even Enterprise has a 14 place lead over Discovery at 26.

I'm mildly curious if Star Trek: Discovery's damn-near-last-place performance in the US is due to the (richly deserved, IMO) antipathy that many fans in the west seem to have for it, or the show's exclusivity to the CBS All Access platform that so many fans felt was a bridge too far.

11 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Doomc*ck and Nerdrotic's YouTube uploads seem to be strangely gleeful about any possible bad news for Trek, and really other things they comment on.  Sort of like a "if it bleeds it leads" mentality.

YouTube pundits like Doomcock, Nerdrotic, and to a lesser extent MechaRandom42 are kind of like the Hunter S. Thompsons of the fandom critical commentary world.  They adopt a gonzo journalism-esque style heavily freighted with their own emotional reactions, occasionally make a good point, but are mostly just ranting and raving.  Most of the fun watching them is just in how wound-up they get... especially Doomcock, who seemingly understands and appreciates that people watch him for his hamminess far more than his content.

They all belong to that weird, seemingly amnestic bunch of pundits who love to rant and rave about how political correctness is supposedly destroying the entertainment industry... having apparently forgotten that the media of yesteryear was often FAR less subtle about the exact same Aesops.  (Many of us, I'm sure, remember how often cartoon characters in Saturday morning cartoon shows used to break the fourth wall to make a point about how Drugs Are Bad, Discrimination is Bad, etc..  GI Joe's memetically famous "Knowing is half the battle" hasn't been forgotten by most viewers and they were FAR from the only ones doing it, and Superman and Captain America were both doing it as far back as the 1940's and 1950's.)

While I acknowledge that a lot of what they present as fact has some basis in reality, it seems like they both go to lengths to extrapolate a conclusion to the events that you wouldn't want to bet money on.

They both seem very quick to jump on any murmur or internet speculation to produce content to monetize on, much like the Disney fan theory videos my kids are into.

That's clickbait journalism for ya... as much as they (esp. Nerdrotic) like to rant about the sins of the access media, they're basically just as bad.:rofl:

9 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

JMO...Trek is dead until they are off CBS all access and drop the SJW narrative.  Trek was always a progressive and forward-thinking show.  Then they got all in your face about it and decided to fleece the fans.  I'm personally done with ST and SW, but I hope ST can get it back on the rails of telling interesting, smart science fiction about conflict resolution. 

Star Trek always had the "SJW narrative".  TOS was one of the most progressive, envelope-pushing, unsubtle society-critiquing shows on television.  Gene Roddenberry's progressive politics just blended near-seamlessly into his vision of an optimistic, utopian future for humanity.  Put simply, Star Trek lived and breathed its message.  They could get on the pulpit without it feeling like a lecture because that was just how things were in the 23rd century.

Star Trek: Discovery's showrunners f*cked it up by turning the 23rd century of their series into a grimdark, hopeless, dystopian future.  Instead of blending in as a natural part of that bright future, a progressive message felt like a grating soapbox screed made all the more grating by the showrunners crowing about it.  A speech on the rights of man is not out of place coming from a decent, morally upright person like Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, or Archer... but it doesn't feel particularly congruous coming from an obvious psychopath like Lorca or someone whose character-establishing moment was multiple acts of violent bigotry like Burnham.

From what I've seen and heard of Discovery, both here and other places, it seems that the show runners wanted to do a Mirror universe series and CBS said no. Course they did it anyway and we got the crap we did.

I'm hoping Picard is better, not betting on it, but hoping. At least enough that it will be watchable so I can connect TV Trek to STO pretty seamlessly.

4 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Wait now I don’t remember there ever being a mirror-verse Picard, least not in the shows. Also wouldn’t it be coffee?

The non-canon comic books and the Star Trek Relaunch novelverse have both featured Mirror!Picards.

The Mirror!Picard of the Star Trek Relaunch novelverse is very much like Mirror!Spock from TOS, actually a decent person despite being surrounded by knife-wielding psychopaths.  IIRC, when the Terran rebellion and its allies manage to overthrow the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance and establishes the Mirror Universe's equivalent of the Federation, he ends up in command of the Enterprise and leads a diplomatic mission to the Dominion (who are a generally-benevolent bunch in the Mirror Universe).

1 hour ago, Mazinger said:

Wait now I don’t remember there ever being a mirror-verse Picard, least not in the shows. Also wouldn’t it be coffee?

I know I read a novel with a mirror Ent-D.  Honestly don't remember if there was ever a 'replicator beverage scene'.  Also--I think coffee is too different.  Mirror universe is "a darker, twisted reflection"---not like the complete opposite.  Just "very similar, but evil".  :) 

13 hours ago, tekering said:

1226341680_MonsterPicard.thumb.jpg.569527d1012b3893a1c4b52d5366621f.jpg

Perfect!

12 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Don't have to see him to know he's there.

I bet he drinks decaf, too.

19 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The Mirror!Picard of the Star Trek Relaunch novelverse is very much like Mirror!Spock from TOS, actually a decent person despite being surrounded by knife-wielding psychopaths.

It figures that even Picard's mirror would be a fastidiously moral bastion of integrity and decency.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm going to admit, I'm intrigued, if only because I feel like they're trying to mashup Trek with LOTR?  I figure that character was a Romulan, but I'm like, "Wait, was that Space Elrond?"  :p 

Like.. I don't want to get excited that it could be good, because it looks like a very gritty, almost Firefly-esque twist on the Trek universe.. but at the same time, I like Firefly, and while I doubt they're really going to adhere to anything in the established Trek canon, I'm interested to see what the premise is.

In any case, I already have Prime anyway, so no reason not to check it out.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Ok, I'm going to admit, I'm intrigued, if only because I feel like they're trying to mashup Trek with LOTR?  I figure that character was a Romulan, but I'm like, "Wait, was that Space Elrond?"  :p 

Wood elves, cave(dark) elves, mountain elves, etc are all well-established.  So why not space elves?  

3 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Wood elves, cave(dark) elves, mountain elves, etc are all well-established.  So why not space elves?  

Now there's an idea I can get behind.  All the standard Tolkien races make it to be space fairing civilization and then...  Hmm.

I am hoping for at least one flash-back scene for Adm Picard, with an older, worn Ent-E or something...

Or maybe, "current day" scene with a REALLY old, worn-out Ambassador class, patrolling the backwaters of the Federation, that Picard and crew will run into...

1 hour ago, F-ZeroOne said:

The line about "The past is written" I find a little ironic, considering the events of "First Contact"... :lol:

Or Star Trek, Into Darkness and Beyond. ;)

Neither here nor there, I like the new trailer. Still not enough to get me to signup for CBS All Access. Maybe if they had something else to justify paying for their service. Otherwise it's just a bunch of stuff that comes on network TV and two new Star Trek shows.

-b.

Man... I feel old when I see these Picard trailers.

Data looks a bit odd, maybe they should use some of that CG face-smoothing effects on him, but it is great to see Riker and Troi again.

Also that beautiful nod to the Galaxy class, I would really like to see the latest Starfleet vessel be a spiritual successor to it, maybe hire Andy Probert to specifically handle the design.

8 hours ago, TehPW said:

I'm just surprised that they shown a fully classic TNG vessel... no changes, no 25% different BS... how did they wiggle this?

Oh, that nonsense is behind us now.  #MeToo claimed Les Moonves -- the biggest obstacle to the CBS/Viacom merger -- so they're a single entity again (pending FTC approval).

Eagle-eyed fans will no doubt have spotted a TOS-era Romulan vessel in the trailer as well.  ^_^

1 hour ago, David Hingtgen said:

Hmmmmmmmmn.   Are shuttlebays 2 and 3 the same size?  Does like "the master CGI file" for the Galaxy-class have that error, and everyone uses it, causing that issue to become common? 

Maybe its a later refit.

2 hours ago, lechuck said:

Man... I feel old when I see these Picard trailers.

Data looks a bit odd, maybe they should use some of that CG face-smoothing effects on him, but it is great to see Riker and Troi again.

Also that beautiful nod to the Galaxy class, I would really like to see the latest Starfleet vessel be a spiritual successor to it, maybe hire Andy Probert to specifically handle the design.

It’s the hair. The wig they put on Brent Spiner looks off. They should have adjusted it. 

i hope the called up John Eaves and Mike Okuda to work on the Federation ships.