Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

47 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Problem with that is that they're literally legally not allowed to continue Trek that way.  Star Trek is quickly mutating into a rival for Robotech in the arena of copyright fustercluckery.

It's not quite that bad.

If the rumored CBS-Viacom re-merger talks bear fruit, the Star Trek rights will once again be united under a single company and the legal obstacles that foisted the Star Trek reboot and ongoing presence of Bad Reboot on the franchise will go away.

47 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

If you watch some of the discussions on the subject, the entire "Prime" universe looks like it was never intended to actually be based on Trek canon, that is, all of the original series.  It's some fast and loose playing with words and meanings to try and get fans to adopt the new standard, and why Discovery looks nothing like TOS.

Not exactly its original intent... the term was coined back when Jar-Jar Abrams was first let loose on the defenseless Star Trek franchise and the fans understandably expressed some significant, borderline riotous, objections to the idea of rebooting Star Trek from the TOS era onward.  Paramount hastened to "clarify" (read: "cover its arse") by explaining that Star Trek (2009) was not a reboot and had no impact on the established Star Trek setting because it was set in an alternate universe created by events in the correct Star Trek timeline of the original shows.

Star Trek: Discovery's creative staff appropriated the term years later as a way to insist that Star Trek: Discovery wasn't in the late, unlamented Star Trek not-a-reboot timeline which had been established by Star Trek (2009).  It became Bad Reboot's way of shouting down fans who insisted that Star Trek: Discovery didn't look like Star Trek.  "Who cares if it looks totally unlike Star Trek, it's in the Prime universe!".  It wasn't a way to get fans to adopt the new standard so much as a way to try to get fans to excuse/overlook the new standard by claiming that it totally fit with everything else, honest!

35 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Ya Tarantino has openly said he hates what JJ did to the ST continuum. He said he would start over if he ever picked it up. He also said he would continue to use Pine and Quinto , as he feels they “f**king nailed it..”

"I hate what J.J. did to Star Trek, so I'll do the same thing with the same actors only 100x as pretentious and incorporating my foot fetish."

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I could absolutely see Tarantino making a Pulp Fiction-esque Ferengi heist movie though.  Probably involving ripping off a Betazed wedding venue.

I would totally watch a ferengi heist movie.

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I could absolutely see Tarantino making a Pulp Fiction-esque Ferengi heist movie though.  Probably involving ripping off a Betazed wedding venue.

Well, we've already had a Ferengi version of The Magnificent Seven... with Iggy Pop as the bad guy, no less.

49 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, we've already had a Ferengi version of The Magnificent Seven... with Iggy Pop as the bad guy, no less.

Whoa just watched some clips on youtube.  Mind blown.....

15 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Whoa just watched some clips on youtube.  Mind blown.....

You mean you've never seen it?  Man, you missed out.  Get thee to DS9, stat!

There's more heart and soul in that one episode about a secondary DS9 character than there is in the entirety of Discovery and all three Bad Reboot movies.

(Honestly, Keevan almost steals that episode, with the incredible amount of contempt he manages to sneak into his last words of "I hate Ferengi".)

Anyone read the recent Star Trek comics? I just remembered I received an email from IDW a while ago about the original series crew on their mission I believe between the TV show and the first movie. I kind of dismissed it as I've never really read Star Trek comics. I think I only have barely a handful. The X-Men & Star Trek crossover, a Ro Laren cover, perhaps a Deep Space Nine first issue, and I think that's it.

7 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Anyone read the recent Star Trek comics?

There are recent Star Trek comics?

Not being sarcastic here, I've heard nothing.  I know they did some for Bad Reboot's not-a-reboot timeline in a desperate attempt to milk a fandom that didn't exist which didn't sell very well... but that was ages ago.

7 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I just remembered I received an email from IDW a while ago about the original series crew on their mission I believe between the TV show and the first movie. I kind of dismissed it as I've never really read Star Trek comics. I think I only have barely a handful.

Wasn't that TAS, though?  There wasn't much to do afterwards, since Enterprise put in for a multi-year refit and Kirk got promoted to a desk job pushing papers for Admiral Nogura.

A lot of the old Star Trek comics were pretty bad.  I remember some TOS movie era ones that were kind of unusual, a lot of revisiting old TOS plots, but they had a first Klingon officer in Starfleet (a Klingon pacifist defector named Konom) before TNG came along and introduced Worf in that capacity.  The ones I remember really well were that short-lived Starfleet Academy series, which was short-lived for good reason.  When it wasn't succumbing to the worst sins of the comics industry, it was harping on Roddenberry's utopian ideal in ways that even Roddenberry himself would've considered in screamingly poor taste.

8 hours ago, JetJockey said:

Anyone read the recent Star Trek comics? I just remembered I received an email from IDW a while ago about the original series crew on their mission I believe between the TV show and the first movie. I kind of dismissed it as I've never really read Star Trek comics. I think I only have barely a handful. The X-Men & Star Trek crossover, a Ro Laren cover, perhaps a Deep Space Nine first issue, and I think that's it.

You mean Star Trek: Year Five?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-trek-year-five-comic-book-explores-original-missions-end-1177504

On 7/30/2019 at 9:57 AM, SMS007 said:

That's it. I have a few Artist Editions from IDW and they started sending new product emails to me. Perhaps I'll give it a try in my next comic order.

I checked the preview pages for the first three issues of Year Five, and I like what I see there, it definitely has me interested, especially the start of issue three, though there could be a plot hole there.

Well, it looks like Star Trek: Picard might be headed into some more trouble.

CBS has announced at a separate event after the Las Vegas Star Trek convention that Star Trek: Picard is going to follow the narrative style and format of Star Trek: Discovery over that of the Star Trek: the Next Generation series.  They've also revealed that they learned nothing from the commercial failure of the Bad Reboot Star Trek film trilogy or Star Trek: Nemesis.  CBS has revealed that most of Star Trek: Picard's backstory is not going to be in the actual show.  Instead, all that plot-essential backstory is going to be dumped into a 3 issue limited comic and a prequel novel... the same cockup they made with Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek: Into Darkness, where everything explaining how we ended up here and why was offloaded onto a limited comic series nobody read, leaving the plot surprisingly free of context.  Brent Spiner has confirmed his appearance in the series as Data is a glorified cameo that he described as being more a plot point than a character, Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis have confirmed their appearances are a bit part in one episode, and Jeri Ryan has indicated Seven of Nine's involvement is going to be quite limited too.

Unhelpfully, it sounds like they're going to be tying into the Star Trek: Countdown comic nobody read that set up the Bad Reboot trilogy as well... with the Romulan Empire studying the Borg for their technology, which was what led to the Narada going from a mining ship to a visual clusterf*ck.

There's been a token change of showrunner but it seems that Star Trek still has untreated and near-terminal Kurtzmanitis... 

Sigh!  Looks like Star Trek: Picard will be, just as STD is, a hard unceremonious pass.  I'll give a damn about Star Trek again once the fools in charge of the property prove themselves capable of giving a damn about it as well... what a shame.

I guess I still have Axanar to look forward to... if the folks behind it ever deliver.

3 hours ago, mechaninac said:

I guess I still have Axanar to look forward to... if the folks behind it ever deliver.

Considering how hard they got nuked, I doubt it. Axanar is dead, and the only good things that came out of was Prelude, and a cool ship model.

On 7/21/2019 at 11:31 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

The series revisits a number of plot points from Enterprise's run, like the political and social consequences of the virus that created the TOS Klingons (and why the TOS Klingons are the dominant party on the Empire's borders),

I'd like yo hear more about this.

I'm having this really dumb flashback to one of the Shatner novels... but I just remembered the entire thing was based on a Borg/Romulan alliance.  I have to wonder if that was the entire inspiration for the Narada.  It would explain a lot about that entire plot. :p 

17 hours ago, Sildani said:

Oh! Commissar Kaiba now?

lol, didn't realize that showed up while I was pondering replacement avatars.

More Kaiba Kravshera now...

15 hours ago, mechaninac said:

Sigh!  Looks like Star Trek: Picard will be, just as STD is, a hard unceremonious pass.  I'll give a damn about Star Trek again once the fools in charge of the property prove themselves capable of giving a damn about it as well... what a shame.

Yeah, I got suckered by Star Trek: Discovery season two's promises that it'd changed and enticements of a familiar and famous Starfleet captain... and it turned out to be swill just as bad as the first season, if not slightly worse since Mary Sue Burnham's plot-devouring self-obsession became a matter of universal law.

Star Trek won't be worth anyone's time or money until Kurtzman's cronies and Bad Reboot are gone from it forevermore.  CBS never learned to not cling to a mistake just because you spent a long time making it.

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I mean, to be real here, I was never going to sign up for CBS's streaming service to begin with, so it's no loss to me.  I'll watch it someday when it's free, maybe, if there's nothing better on. :p 

So you'll never watch it?  The off button on the TV is better than Discovery.

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

I'd like yo hear more about this.

... I'm starting to feel like FedNet.  "Would you like to know more?"

Spoiler

The socio-political fallout of Star Trek: Enterprise's season 4 episode "Affliction" starts to make itself known pretty early on in the Star Trek: Enterprise relaunch.

The second book, Kobayashi Maru, is about exactly what you think it is... the origin of the famous Kobayashi Maru incident that would become the famous No Win Scenario test for Starfleet Academy cadets.  Archer takes Enterprise to Qo'nos to investigate why Klingon ships launched an unprovoked attack on Draylax that Enterprise and Columbia were fending off when a second Klingon taskforce arrived and destroyed the attackers.  Klingons being Klingons, he had to duel Admiral Krell in order to get his answers, after which he learned that the Klingons affected by the augment virus were essentially considered to have a dishonorable deformity that rendered them second-class citizens in the entire Klingon Empire.  Naturally, a lot of Klingons were rather unhappy with being demoted to second class citizens in their own homeland because they caught a disease spread by the reckless experimentation of the military, so the Empire was a little PO'd that the Enterprise crew saved the affected citizens from dying from the disease and refused to help them against the Romulans.

That discontent finally boils over after the Earth-Romulan War's conclusion with the 2160 peace treaty that established the Neutral Zone and the subsequent formation of the United Federation of Planets in 2161, and ties into the automated repair station storyline from Enterprise's first season.

The newly-established Federation Starfleet encounters another of the repair stations, and Captain Reed's USS Pioneer attempts to liberate the people it was holding captive only to come under fire from drone ships under the station's control.  This leads to a story arc for Reed and co. involving finding the creators of the stations (dubbed "the Ware" by the civilizations that have become dependent on those robotic factories).  After Dr. Antaak's son assassinates the chancellor of the Klingon High Council with a virus, the whole tangled mess of bigoted tensions in the Klingon Empire starts to blow up with some candidates for the title of Chancellor advocating a genocide against the Augment virus's victims.  Klingon privateers hired to help defend the Ware from Starfleet turned the drone ships they had been given as assistance/compensation against the Empire in a brief but furious civil war led by Kor in retaliation for the Empire massacring colonies that had been victims of Antaak's virus.  The whole bloody mess was finally brought to an end when the Arbiter of Succession declares that whoever ends the Ware-supported rebellion will be Chancellor and Section 31 hands the details of how to deactivate the Ware to one of the more Federation-friendly factions, allowing the Klingons to quash Kor's revolt and then perpetrate a genocide against the Ware-dependent civilization which had given the ships to Kor's rebels.  The new moderate Klingon chancellor strikes a compromise with Kor's rebels, essentially allowing them to reclaim their titles as long as they stay out of the Empire's hair... leading to the augment virus victims ending up living on the frontiers of Klingon space and thus being the Klingons that Starfleet predominantly met during the late 22nd and 23rd centuries.

(It wasn't until the late 23rd century that Dr. Antaak's grandson finally found a cure for the Augment virus-related mutations, and the deformities were cured by a retrovirus that removed the augment DNA from the Klingon genome, effectively ending the status of the afflicted as second class citizens.)

3 hours ago, JB0 said:

I keep reading this and just thinking "Picard got an STD?"

Yeah, that's Riker's job.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... I'm starting to feel like FedNet.  "Would you like to know more?"

Thanks. I love your summaries. It quenches my curiosity without having to read all those novels (which i'll never read). You should throw them up on a blog.

20 hours ago, Sandman said:

Thanks. I love your summaries. It quenches my curiosity without having to read all those novels (which i'll never read). You should throw them up on a blog.

I've been getting them as ebooks... the occasional long test cycle at work means I can shoot through one in an afternoon and not die of boredom watching a 480V battery pack charge at 10 amps. :help:

I'm probably not going to spring for the Star Trek: Picard tie-ins though, I don't want to encourage CBS's bad behavior... especially as the news from the set gets worse and worse.  Jeri Ryan having breakdowns and crying fits?  Something is emphatically NOT RIGHT.

45 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Jeri Ryan having breakdowns and crying fits?

I thought she was just anxious and excited as any actor would be about updated changes to their beloved major character after 20 years.

7 minutes ago, Mommar said:

What!?!

It's been reported by a number of different news venues... apparently she had considerable difficulty getting to grips with the new Seven of Nine, and admitted to "freaking out" and "bursting into tears".

On 8/7/2019 at 5:50 PM, Chronocidal said:

I mean, to be real here, I was never going to sign up for CBS's streaming service to begin with, so it's no loss to me.  I'll watch it someday when it's free, maybe, if there's nothing better on. :p 

Me too.   

Waiting for technology to catch up so that fans will be able to take the audio from ST the Animated Series, and drop it into their home-made photo-real CGI episodes.

12 minutes ago, peter said:

Me too.   

Waiting for technology to catch up so that fans will be able to take the audio from ST the Animated Series, and drop it into their home-made photo-real CGI episodes.

Animated Series animation quality is good.  I mean it's the Filmation quality everyone complains about the new She-Ra missing.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I'm probably not going to spring for the Star Trek: Picard tie-ins though, I don't want to encourage CBS's bad behavior... especially as the news from the set gets worse and worse.  Jeri Ryan having breakdowns and crying fits?  Something is emphatically NOT RIGHT.

Okay...what evil maniac at CBS Studios made poor Jeri watch Star Trek Beyond? O.o

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

What? I haven't seen this being picked up by the usual youtube channels. And they would jump on this kind of news.