Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

I really hope they don't try to drag John DeLancie back into the role of Q. Aside from the obvious (I don't see Q as trying to "keep age" with Picard), it would just be more shenanigans on Q's part, only this time to a elderly captain who probably wants nothing to do with Q's antics.

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I really hope they don't try to drag John DeLancie back into the role of Q. Aside from the obvious (I don't see Q as trying to "keep age" with Picard), it would just be more shenanigans on Q's part, only this time to a elderly captain who probably wants nothing to do with Q's antics.

In fairness, it was always to a captain who wanted nothing to do with Q's antics. Even when he showed up in DS9 and Voyager, it was exasperated sighs all around. 

Except DS9. Sisko just punched him. 

And when it came to Q-related one-liners, Worf had the best one anyway. 

Q: “What must I do to convince you people?!”

WORF: “Die.”

Edited by Sildani

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

Except DS9. Sisko just punched him. 

Forever cementing his reign as the most badass Starfleet captain.

Picard quoted Shakespeare at Q.  Janeway complained at him.  Sisko?  Knocked Q on his ass and never had a word of trouble from him afterwards.  

Kind of a defining moment for Sisko too: "I'm. Not. Picard."

50 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I’m still hoping for Tarantino’s 10th  and final film to be Star Trek. Give us some Science Pulp Fiction.

My earnest hope is that a Tarantino Star Trek film never comes to pass.  Star Trek tried being dark and edgy under Jar-Jar Abrams and Alex Kurtzman's Bad Reboot crew and it didn't f*cking work.  We need Star Trek written for people who actually like Star Trek, not for the edgelord crowd and people who want HBO to remake Game of Thrones's last season.

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

I’m still hoping for Tarantino’s 10th  and final film to be Star Trek. Give us some Science Pulp Fiction.

No... we really don't want to see a couple of dim-witted Starfleet hitmen cadets being shown how to clean blood out of the back of a shuttlecraft, after one of them accidentally shoots another cadet in the head with a phaser.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

My earnest hope is that a Tarantino Star Trek film never comes to pass.  Star Trek tried being dark and edgy under Jar-Jar Abrams and Alex Kurtzman's Bad Reboot crew and it didn't f*cking work.  We need Star Trek written for people who actually like Star Trek, not for the edgelord crowd and people who want HBO to remake Game of Thrones's last season.

See, this is why I thought Star Trek Beyond was so good.

From all accounts Simon Pegg is a genuine Star Trek fan and I credit his co-writing as a reason why Beyond was so refreshing, especially coming off of Into Darkness.

2 hours ago, jenius said:

After a comment by Seto I was happy to find The Orville on Hulu and it definitely scratched my Star Trek itch in a way I did not expect. I think going lighter worked better for the genre than going darker.

Need to do the same, I don't think I've heard one bad word about The Orville. 

3 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

No... we really don't want to see a couple of dim-witted Starfleet hitmen cadets being shown how to clean blood out of the back of a shuttlecraft, after one of them accidentally shoots another cadet in the head with a phaser.

:lol: agreed

-b.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

Glad I missed the one where Sisko punched Q (or forgot it).  They made the character pretty pathetic over the years but I didn't know that had let it get that bad.

Yeah, the writers often didn't know what to do with Q, or fundamentally didn't "get" him. Just "it is time for a Q episode, so someone tell me what a Q is."

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Glad I missed the one where Sisko punched Q (or forgot it).  They made the character pretty pathetic over the years but I didn't know that had let it get that bad.

It was season one DS9... the show hadn't really found it feet yet.  I think it was kind of an attempt to demonstrate that it wasn't going to be just TNG with a new cast.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Yeah, the writers often didn't know what to do with Q, or fundamentally didn't "get" him. Just "it is time for a Q episode, so someone tell me what a Q is."

It wasn't even really a Q episode, it was a Quark/Vash episode... Q was just sort of there.

If Tarantino's got one more film in him, I'd prefer to see him do Kill Bill Volume 3, more than Star Trek.

But if the man wants to try his hand at Sci Fi before bowing out, it's his choice to make.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It was season one DS9... the show hadn't really found it feet yet.  I think it was kind of an attempt to demonstrate that it wasn't going to be just TNG with a new cast.

That's exactly what Wikipedia, bastion of truthiness, claims happened. Producers were all "put Q in it so people know it is a real Star Trek show", writer was "I have no feel for these characters and how they'd react to Q beyond simple annoyance. Let's just use the episode to show how they aren't reskins of Picard's crew."

1 minute ago, JB0 said:

That's exactly what Wikipedia, bastion of truthiness, claims happened. Producers were all "put Q in it so people know it is a real Star Trek show", writer was "I have no feel for these characters and how they'd react to Q beyond simple annoyance. Let's just use the episode to show how they aren't reskins of Picard's crew."

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine itself was essentially its creators rebelling against Gene Roddenberry and his creatively stifling hard rule that the Federation was so Utopian that even individual Starfleet officers couldn't have conflicts with each other unless one or both were the victim of a Grand Theft Me or had gone insane for some reason.

Right from the outset they set out to make it clear that this was not the soft-touch Star Trek of Roddenberry's era, revealing that Ben Sisko hated Picard's guts because he was a veteran of Wolf 359.  It was done with a lot more grace than the attempt to imitate it in the Star Trek: Discovery series via Burnham descending into paranoid hysterics, and will probably also turn out to be done with a lot more grace than Picard going off the reservation in Picard.

With the talk of this new series as essentially post-Borg, implying that future!Janeway's stunt cripped if not effectively defeated the Borg collective, it feels like they're desperately reaching for the one real enduring animosity that Picard had... his hatred for the Borg.

22 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

implying that future!Janeway's stunt cripped if not effectively defeated the Borg collective

For the third time. Best of Both Worlds was devastatingly crippling, until they got better. First Contact was catastrophically final, until Janeway accidentally resurrected them. And then Janeway killed them by going back in time and getting assimilated so she can... do the same thing Ent-D did in Best of Both Worlds and upload a virus, only with a martyr complex ensuring it is a suicide mission. Forgive me if I doubt that this time they're really and truly dead.

I believe Dukat and the Pah-Wraiths were trapped into their own hell, with their only way out (that book) getting burned up in the process.

The Sisko was rescued by the prophets right before getting trapped though.

Of course, a future writer/hack could retcon it to have Dukat escape somehow. :bad:

27 minutes ago, JB0 said:

For the third time. Best of Both Worlds was devastatingly crippling, until they got better.

Nothing like that is EVER said in that episode... it was ONE ship they defeated, not the entire collective.  They were pretty damned clear about there being LOTS more Borg out there.

(Hell, the only reason the Borg didn't defeat the Federation is they were too lazy to send more than one ship to do it.)

First Contact was catastrophically final, until Janeway accidentally resurrected them.

That's... also not correct.  First Contact literally had a moment where Picard freaks out because the Borg Queen he thought died at Wolf 359 was on the Enterprise, and she tells him flat out that she's basically death-proof because she's an embodiment of the will of the Collective not a person.  Killing her body won't kill her.

And then Janeway killed them by going back in time and getting assimilated so she can... do the same thing Ent-D did in Best of Both Worlds and upload a virus, only with a martyr complex ensuring it is a suicide mission.

The crew of the Enterprise-D didn't upload a virus, Data tapped into the Borg collective's low security communications via Locutus's implants and ordered all of the Borg aboard it to simultaneously go into regeneration mode.  Data's instruction accidentally caused the cube to self-destruct when its power systems overloaded.

They thought about uploading a de facto virus (an impossible topological equation) into the collective in "I, Borg" but they never did it.

Unlike the relaunch novelverse, where Future Janeway's intervention just convinced the Borg the Federation were enough of a real threat to justify sending hundreds of cubes to deal with it, Star Trek: Picard seems to be leaning towards Future Janeway having up and actually disabled or destroyed the Borg Collective thanks to the Borg Queen having assimilated that pathogen Janeway used.

Forgive me if I doubt that this time they're really and truly dead.

From what we've heard, individual Borg are still alive but whether the Collective exists... that's another matter.

Hugh, the drone from "I, Borg", is apparently going to be appearing.

42 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

They should bring Sisko back to life 

Sisko's in the wormhole with the Prophets... he's not dead.

(In the DS9 relaunch he doesn't even manage to stay gone nine months.)

Hugh's daughter has been "bandied about" and I do think it's one of the more likely options.  I still lean towards Data's* or Borg Queen's daughter a bit more. 

Also---we could have Q, meet Hugh...

*like, Lal 2.0, made in secret or something. 

3 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Hugh's daughter has been "bandied about" and I do think it's one of the more likely options.  I still lean towards Data's* or Borg Queen's daughter a bit more. 

That it was Lal was my suspicion, initially... esp. since she has been brought back to life in other Star Trek media in the past.

Must be something about the hairdo.

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

The ending of the Lal episode wrecked me.  I mean, to this day, I still can think of it without, um... wait... there's something in my eye.

"I feel."
"What do you feel, Lal?"
"I love you, Father."
"I wish I could feel it with you."
"I will feel it for both of us. Thank you for my life. Flirting. Laughter. Painting. Family. Female. Human."

WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

On 7/27/2019 at 12:22 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

I was kind of looking forward to a Tarantino Star Trek until I believe he said it would be or at least be similar to Pulp Fiction in space. I don't really know what that means though. Surely it can't mean a story with a crazy twist and people in robbery settings. But I don't know. I listened to a Tarantino chat a few years back and you could tell he likes the original Star Trek. The guy likes movies and TV shows in general though. And it comes in his movies. He hasn't made a bad one yet to me.

Also, this recent story about Tarantino, if true once again shows why JJ Abrams should never have been allowed to direct Star Trek.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/tarantinos-star-trek-to-ignore-abrams-timeline/

If Abrams or the people working on Star Trek were really fans of the original series, we wouldn't have this silly alternate timeline stuff. What would have happened at the end of the Star Trek reboot is original Spock and Alternate Kirk would have corrected the timeline. And then we would get the new actors playing the younger original series characters in stories we never saw like perhaps between the original TV show and first movie period. 

But the people behind the reboot wanted to sell it as a new vision. Plus have a new look with current technology.

Problem with that is that they're literally legally not allowed to continue Trek that way.  Star Trek is quickly mutating into a rival for Robotech in the arena of copyright fustercluckery.

If you watch some of the discussions on the subject, the entire "Prime" universe looks like it was never intended to actually be based on Trek canon, that is, all of the original series.  It's some fast and loose playing with words and meanings to try and get fans to adopt the new standard, and why Discovery looks nothing like TOS.

Unless all of Trek gets brought back together under some sort of CBS/Paramount re-merger, no single entity will have the necessary licenses to produce Trek that exists in what most fans know as the original canon timeline.

Ya Tarantino has openly said he hates what JJ did to the ST continuum. He said he would start over if he ever picked it up.  Apparently JJ told him he could do whatever he wanted ..He also said he would continue to use Pine and Quinto , as he feels they “f**king nailed it..”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jul/25/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-final-frontier

I seriously doubt he would do “Pulp Trek” without any originality, and he certainly wouldn’t copy pulp fiction. But he would absolutely make it rated R. And, as his final movie, he’d probably put all his mojo into it..

Edited by Bolt