Star Trek: Picard (CBS All-Access)

UN Spacy

Nice shots of the TOS Enterprise though I'm not a fan of those finial things on the nacelles.

Are those modern embellishments?  I don't remember them from any previous movie or show.

Not sure they really add much.  I wonder what their supposed function would be.

38 minutes ago, tekering said:

Something like this...?

1497877299_NewEnterpriseprofile.jpg.1add3b65861ee10948278bbe3637dff0.jpg

1455861159_NewEnterprise.jpg.55ff050b700f86a979d43b204d9e08af.jpg

Edited by Mazinger
spelling, grammer

40 minutes ago, tekering said:

Something like this...?

1497877299_NewEnterpriseprofile.jpg.1add3b65861ee10948278bbe3637dff0.jpg

1996770925_NewEnterprisebridgewide.jpg.ef88e916f163a000860f5aa4e9608631.jpg

1455861159_NewEnterprise.jpg.55ff050b700f86a979d43b204d9e08af.jpg

1224428512_NewEnterprisebridge.jpg.ba958e44a4286accb8eae24722426898.jpg

Definitely! I know that one, but that is really the only TOS looking ship in the whole series, except for the wire frame of the Defiant. It's also not the hero ship, as they barely show it, and all their adventures are on the USS Disc-Uglybutt.

6 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Annnnddd then you go and post cool pics like that - I'd watch it. IMHO Star Trek Discovery would have been much better received with those designs and the story that it implies vs. what CBS has put out so far.

-b.

That would have been so much better! Am I imagining things, or was there actually going to be a TOS-ish style when the show was originally conceived?

7 hours ago, Graham said:

I love the TNG era, but I've personally always wanted to see a show set 100 to 200 years after TNG.

Always thought it would be interesting to see how technology and the Federation have developed.

That, I do recall, was a show concept that was not picked up.

It was supposed to take place during the decline of the Federation, with the christening of a new Enterprise to try and get Starfleet back to exploring. What I recall most is that the Klingons were to have evolved socially into a warrior-monk-type race of wanderers.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

I know that one, but that is really the only TOS looking ship in the whole series, except for the wire frame of the Defiant.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

Am I imagining things, or was there actually going to be a TOS-ish style when the show was originally conceived?

As originally conceived, Bryan Fuller had mandated that no ships would have round nacelles, so I think it actually turned out to be more TOS-style than he'd intended.

Frankly, I'd be happy to see them abandon Discovery altogether ("never spoken of again," as the finale states), and go ahead with the Enterprise crew using the existing sets and uniforms...

potential.jpeg.c8b2878d1a2e1e4689e23103b2f4c8b2.jpeg

...just as teased in the closing scenes of the series.

glorious.jpg.9e626069aaa9158ebe38488df0bbce9d.jpg

Alas, they'd already blown their budget and failed to generate a reasonable return on investment... so it's up to Patrick Stewart to save the franchise now!  :unsure:

1 hour ago, Mazinger said:

Nice shots of the TOS Enterprise though I'm not a fan of those finial things on the nacelles.

Are those modern embellishments?  I don't remember them from any previous movie or show.

You mean the fins on the back of the nacelle, or the ridge along the top?  The ridge wasn't present on the original Matt Jeffries design, but the fins were... though they were a lot less pronounced.  The ridge showed up on the refit design for the movies.

1 hour ago, Mazinger said:

Not sure they really add much.  I wonder what their supposed function would be.

The fins were marked up as intercooler systems for the warp nacelles on the original Roddenberry-blessed USS Enterprise schematics Franz Joseph Designs produced in 1973.  That thing that looks like a towel bar on the inboard side of the nacelle near the front is another one.  (The fins at the back used to be the same design.)

1 hour ago, Thom said:

That would have been so much better! Am I imagining things, or was there actually going to be a TOS-ish style when the show was originally conceived?

Nope, it was always set up to be styled after Bad Reboot's trilogy of flops.

1 hour ago, Thom said:

That, I do recall, was a show concept that was not picked up.

It was supposed to take place during the decline of the Federation, with the christening of a new Enterprise to try and get Starfleet back to exploring. What I recall most is that the Klingons were to have evolved socially into a warrior-monk-type race of wanderers.

Yeah, that was a concept for a Star Trek animated series where some nutter set off a bunch of omega particle bombs around the galaxy and basically destroyed subspace across a huge swath of the galaxy, splitting the Federation in two, causing the Vulcans and Romulans to reunify, forcing many Klingons to adopt a nomadic lifestyle, and generally turning the Star Trek setting into something more closely resembling Warhammer 40,000 (or the bad future timeline from TNG where the Enterprise-C disappeared at Narendra III leading to endless war with the Klingons).

The only time that series concept was referenced after the proposal was rejected was in the Department of Temporal Investigations novels in the relaunch novelverse.  The finale of that series revealed that that rejected Star Trek animated series proposal was a bad future created by the intervention of Future Guy (from Enterprise) that was retroactively unmade by agents from the Temporal Integrity Commission and Federation Temporal Agency when they undid his changes to the timeline while seeking to arrest him.

45 minutes ago, tekering said:

Alas, they'd already blown their budget and failed to generate a reasonable return on investment... so it's up to Patrick Stewart to save the franchise now!  :unsure:

They didn't just blow their budget... they blew right past their budget and kept going, leaving production significantly in the red on both seasons.

That's one reason, among many, that Netflix is supposedly so displeased with Kurtzman and Bad Reboot.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

and I am 2000% done.  

No thank you.  Yeah, the only thing they could think of to add some appeal to Picard was to - hey hey - bring back the Borg.

It was a bad idea when the Star Trek relaunch novelverse did it, and time has not sweetened the idea.

5 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Oh hell.  They might just have snared me.

Yeah I'm with you.  If someone made a TNG-based story with Picard, Data, and the Swedes, there's just no way I'm gonna fight it.

Now I wonder what happened to 7's crush Chakotay.

Ok, while that looks like it could be semi-interesting, and better than the section 31 mess that was proposed, I have to view that through a massive filter of "wtf did I just see?" 

Are they seriously giving us Star Trek: Firefly?

I'll probably check it out if it's free, but no way I'm shelling out money to watch whatever further damage they're doing to the existing TV canon.  

Also there is no way there should be anything left of the original Data, unless he has some magical ability to regenerate at the subatomic level.  He fired a phaser point blank into a reactor.  Also.. if that's the best they can do with his face, they should have gone pure CGI, because he looks like he needs a good few doses of Benadryl.

Edited by Chronocidal

31 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Yeah I'm with you.  If someone made a TNG-based story with Picard, Data, and the Swedes, there's just no way I'm gonna fight it.

Now I wonder what happened to 7's crush Chakotay.

That reminds me.  Who is playing data?  Even under all that makeup Brent Spiner's face is no longer looking that young.  CGI maybe...

Nope - really is him.  Must have done some dieting and LOTS of that pancake makeup.

Edited by Dynaman

Yup, finding myself cautiously optimistic. Also good to see, what appears to be Vulcan, again. Really want to see some Fed ships. I wonder if at some point they’ll show the Enterprise -F? If so will it be the online version or something new.

Chris

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So, B4 got blown up too?  How many spare bodies did Soong make for him anyway? :p 

As many as it takes for the writer to put Spiner back into the series.  I get it, get every cool/hot character in the last twenty years of Trek and shove em in.  Hope it works. 

More hyped for this than I ever was for STD!(:D) Already this feels TNG but with a bit of an amp-up in action.

I think we were seeing B4, though why he would have been disassembled is a good question. Since he was already beginning to integrate Data's memories at the end of Nemesis, he could have 'been' him for decades. (And he didn't look that bad. A little chunkier maybe...)

Would love to see this succeed, as it does look real good, and I don't care if they are bringing back the Borg either. Janeway face-planted them at the end of Voyager, so we are probably seeing a new generation of Borg turning up. Though, I was really hoping she was the admiral Picard was speaking to, but not.

Plus, if it does succeed, then there's a good possibility of seeing new ship models! What are the Federation flying around in two decades since Nemesis? What about the Klingons and Romulans. I would love to see a Valdore on the show, as I really want a plastic kit of that!

CBS almost has me wrapped up!

44 minutes ago, Mommar said:

So in the interim Seven of Nine developed more of a personality?

Stands to reason she would right?

Looks cool, I kinda wish it was just a Serenity style movie though... Curious how it will work as something with much more length.

9 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Oh hell.  They might just have snared me.

Yep. As much as I really wasn't interested, that trailer piqued my curiosity enough to shell out for 1 month of CBS All Access to check out an episode or two.

And I didn't think Star Trek: Firefly/Serenity, but if so, to be honest that's not necessarily a bad thing.

-b.

2 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I guess Seto and I are the only two who are not only not sold by this but exponentially turned off by it?

It's early still dude, I'm sure there are more folks that aren't interested. 

Regardless of opinions, it's kind of refreshing to see sentiment around these parts (the forums as a whole) as more positive then negative. :D

-b.

10 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

and I am 2000% done.  

No thank you.  Yeah, the only thing they could think of to add some appeal to Picard was to - hey hey - bring back the Borg.

It was a bad idea when the Star Trek relaunch novelverse did it, and time has not sweetened the idea.

I was ok and curious about the show until I saw the Borg and thought them again? But I'll still check out the first episode or so. But I think it might turn out that they should have ended TNG with the TV show. I might stick with the new show until they reveal the mystery of that girl. That new crew is not getting me excited at all.

What are these Star Trek relaunch novels?

58 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I guess Seto and I are the only two who are not only not sold by this but exponentially turned off by it?

I'm less upset than when the rumor was "Captain Picard helms Section 31, leader of a band of extra-legal rogues, cutthroats, and murderers". It no longer defiles one of Trek's most beloved characters and tarnishes him with the same edgy sociopathic brush they've swept across the rest of the franchise. This has taken it from pure revulsion to ... well, apathy. It isn't enough to make me want to watch it, but it is enough that I no longer feel an automatic instinctive hatred.

And that brings me to the most beautiful thing about this. No one is forcing me to watch it, and I don't actually have to care. This liberating revelation kept me out of theaters for The Last Jedi* and Ghost in the Shell(the most recent one), and it will likely serve me well here. If it is awful, then ... oh well. Not the first awful Star Trek tale(or even entire series). I can just ignore it and get on with life.

If it is fantastic, people who DID watch it will tell me, and then I'll seek it out.

*And I really must thank JJ Abrams for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. It was a disjointed and unsatisfying mess, and I spent a lot of time contemplating the idea of investing myself in ANOTHER bad trilogy of Star Wars films afterwards. The realization that I didn't actually HAVE to watch The Last Jedi, or any other sequels, prequels, remakes, sidestories, or events... that I wouldn't become some sort of social pariah for not being in the loop on pop culture... it was liberating. I wish I'd been mature enough to accept it after The Phantom Menace, or Transformers: A Micheal Bay Film.

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

I'm less upset than when the rumor was "Captain Picard helms Section 31, leader of a band of extra-legal rogues, cutthroats, and murderers". It no longer defiles one of Trek's most beloved characters and tarnishes him with the same edgy sociopathic brush they've swept across the rest of the franchise. This has taken it from pure revulsion to ... well, apathy. It isn't enough to make me want to watch it, but it is enough that I no longer feel an automatic instinctive hatred.

And that brings me to the most beautiful thing about this. No one is forcing me to watch it, and I don't actually have to care. This liberating revelation kept me out of theaters for The Last Jedi* and Ghost in the Shell(the most recent one), and it will likely serve me well here. If it is awful, then ... oh well. Not the first awful Star Trek tale(or even entire series). I can just ignore it and get on with life.

If it is fantastic, people who DID watch it will tell me, and then I'll seek it out..

Well said. When people go on and on about how much they hate something, I never understand why they watch it. Opinions are valid and allowed obviously, but when it’s said “then don’t /you don’t have to watch it is said it’s not to be dismissive just helpful really. Trek really has been struggling lately and that’s a shame as it it’s such a good and hopeful franchise, or should be anyway, so I want to be hopeful for this new series as well.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

5 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

It's early still dude, I'm sure there are more folks that aren't interested. 

Regardless of opinions, it's kind of refreshing to see sentiment around these parts (the forums as a whole) as more positive then negative. :D

-b.

Feel the fresh air! Lol

7 hours ago, Mommar said:

Give it time... folks are so keyed up to see the return of familiar characters like Jean-Luc Picard, Plenty of Two Seven of Nine, and Data that they've forgotten Star Trek: Picard is developed, produced, written, directed, filmed, and edited by the same Bad Reboot clown college responsible for the Star Trek: Discovery series they so thoroughly loathed.

This is what CBS and Bad Reboot were counting on to sell the series in its first season, or at least its first few episodes.  Trot out familiar characters from parts of Trek the fans don't hate and rely on that borrowed gloss from better shows to keep the Trekkies from noticing any signs of the franchise's Kurtzmanitis infection going septic.

Not a lot of original thought on display, IMO... this wouldn't even be the first time Bad Reboot's bad actors toyed with the notion of un-killing Data.  They did the same in the prequel comic they did to set up the Kelvin-verse, in which Data's copied mind takes over B4's body and he goes on to become captain of the Enterprise-E.  Kind of a slam dunk there for the fans, given that killing Data off back in Nemesis was so wildly unpopular that all three extant Star Trek continuities persisting after the film undid it right away.  I can't say I'm all that psyched for Seven of Nine either.  She had some good episodes in late Voyager, but she was meant mainly to arrest a ratings plummet by being more decorative than other women on the cast and became a bit of a black hole swallowing up plots later on, with a lot of them feeling REALLY forced like her relationship with wooden indian Chakotay.

7 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

While it lasts, I suppose... 

For my part, I'm going to keep my expectations as low as possible in the hopes that I'll be pleasantly surprised for once.

I'd really like to be wrong, and for Star Trek to be good again.

6 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I was ok and curious about the show until I saw the Borg and thought them again? But I'll still check out the first episode or so. But I think it might turn out that they should have ended TNG with the TV show. I might stick with the new show until they reveal the mystery of that girl. That new crew is not getting me excited at all.

What are these Star Trek relaunch novels?

The Star Trek relaunch novels are one of the three coordinated efforts to keep Star Trek going after Nemesis spun in... the other two being Star Trek Online and the J.J. Abrams reboot trilogy flop.

They're essentially an Expanded Universe line of novels that pick up after the ends of their respective shows ("relaunching" those storylines) and continue forward, managed by a single creative team as a coordinated shared universe development.  There are a few TOS side stories, but the relaunch novel-verse focuses on the relaunched stories of Star Trek: the Next GenerationStar Trek: Deep Space NineStar Trek Voyager, and Star Trek: Enterprise.

Spoiler

Star Trek: Enterprise's relaunch picks up...

Spoiler

... pretty much immediately after Trip's "death", which is revealed to have been a coverup for him being sent out as a deep cover infiltrator to sabotage the Romulan warp 7 program in the runup to the Earth-Romulan war.  The series continues in that direction, covering the Romulan War and its conclusion that resulted in the formation of the Neutral Zone, then with the rise of the Federation as it confronts the astropolitical ramifications of a power bloc like that suddenly appearing to unite the previously hostile powers that had dominated the region.  The Orion Syndicate feature pretty heavily in that as antagonists, working to undermine newly-imposed Federation law and order.

Star Trek: the Next Generation's relaunch picks up...

Spoiler

... right after Nemesis, getting into the political and strategic fallout from the assassination of the entire Romulan government by Shinzon.  The Romulan Empire has a civil war as factions in its military try to split off to form a new government called the Romulan Republic.  Dr. Soong is revealed to have been Alive All Along and transferred his own mind into an android body the way he did with his ex-wife, he brings Data back to life by rescuing his mind from B4's brain and dumping it in his own body, giving Data all his memories as well as the highest specs of any Soong android to date.  The series then escalates considerably into a final resolution to the Borg alongside the Voyager relaunch in which the Borg collective's origins are revealed (it's all humanity's fault), there is a major Borg invasion of the Federation intended to exterminate rather than assimilate it, and the collective is finally defeated once and for all with all Borg everywhere being liberated by the deletion of the Borg queen.  The Federation's losses embolden its enemies to form a rival alliance called the Typhon Pact, uniting the Romulans, Breen, Gorn, Tholians, Tzenkethi, and Kinshaya into a single (heavily dysfunctional) government.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's relauch picks up...

Spoiler

... pretty much right where the show left off, with new staff coming on board to take over for the personnel who had left the station.  Ro Laren becomes a regular as Odo's replacement, Kira takes over command of the station, etc.  It veers off into strange places at times, like revealing the parasites who tried to take over the Federation in TNG season one are just another scandal the Trill government swept under the rug, blowing the lid on the Trill symbiosis scandal, getting heavily into the idea that the Prophets guided other species including the Cardassians and a Bajoran atheist sect who believed the Prophets are just benevolent wormhole aliens.  Bajor eventually joins the Federation, immediately ends up in a huge scandal when a collaborator gets elected to the Federation presidency and turns out to be a total dick.  Sisko comes back after less than nine months.  Deep Space Nine is destroyed and replaced by a Federation-designed station, Sisko becomes captain of a Galaxy-class ship, and they real heavily into a story arc where Andoria secedes from the Federation because the Federation withheld data on advanced genetic engineering that could cure an ongoing fertility crisis on their homeworld.  Bashir goes rogue, manages to destroy Section 31 with the help of Control (whom you might remember as the bad guy from Star Trek: Discovery season two) who is not actually evil.  Cardassia becomes a democracy, etc. etc.

Star Trek: Voyager's relaunch picks up...

Spoiler

... with the Voyager crew dealing with the consequences of having missed most of the momentous events in the recent past like the Dominion War, the fallout of future Janeway's having dicked with the timeline, more Borg shenanigans from the get-go.  The Borg launch a new invasion that ends in a massacre worse than Wolf 359, Janeway is assimilated and becomes the new Borg Queen, then is killed.  There's another (final) Borg war after that that ends with the extinction of the Borg, then Starfleet promptly tells Voyager and its crew to f*ck off back to the Delta Quadrant (no really), though this time with a small support fleet where every ship has a quantum slipstream drive.  Janeway is brought back from the dead by Q Junior to stop an anti-Q from ending the universe early and has to deal with coming back from the dead, and from then on is about a 50-50 split between original adventures in the Delta Quadrant TNG-style and revisitng old plots from the TV like the Krenim (who are still dicks), and finding a sort of Delta Quadrant equivalent of the Federation that has some serious values dissonance.