57 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Best Godzilla film yet. There I said it :)

Mothra needs her own movie too!

I’d love to see a Monarch prequel series focusing on the twins grandmothers and Mothra.

In the historical footage at the start of the various movies, we see monarch operating as far back as the late 1940s, but even by then it was very American in orientation. I think there could be a neat story with the West found out about monsters from the East before WWII and how it would have to focus on them in my mind.

As for why the negativity for this film.  It can be summed up in one scene.  Ever since Austin Powers (?) had the evil guy showing his evil plans via power point the idea of actually doing something like that on screen is laughable - and this film did the equivalent.

Sure the human bits in most Godzilla films are filler but they were not, usually, laughable.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and my son walked out of the theater humming the action music. Lol. 

Man, they must’ve mentioned Skull Island like 5 times..and all the while were wondering, where is Kong while all this is going down?

Well, I saw the movie yesterday evening with my Kid and his posse of fellow High schoolers. It was better than I thought. Yes, the humans were not as good but I totally enjoyed the mindless blink and they are dead moments. The one-sided air battle vs Rodan, where all the pilots die one by one ID4 style was a nice touch... 8 out of 10 Halflings. Lots of things to chew over for the next film (assuming there is still interest or time left on the contract)?

Edited by TehPW

1 hour ago, TehPW said:

Well, I saw the movie yesterday evening with my Kid and his posse of fellow High schoolers. It was better than I thought. Yes, the humans were not as good but I totally enjoyed the mindless blink and they are dead moments. The one-sided air battle vs Rodan, where all the pilots die one by one ID4 style was a nice touch... 8 out of 10 Halflings. Lots of things to chew over for the next film (assuming there is still interest or time left on the contract)?

The next movie has already finished filming with Godzilla vs Kong coming next year.

• 1 month later...

Finally got a chance to see this and I thought it was very satisfying! Much more than the last go around anyway. 

I know that it was not objectively a great film but I enjoyed it more than some (more highly rated) MCU films; looking at you spider-man. Haha

Definitely a must see for Godzilla fans. Made me feel like I was 6 years old watching monster matinee, hooting and hollering at every punch, kick, and blast :)

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Got my 4K copy, such a fun film, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Well, it couldn't hold a candle to Gareth Edwards' work on the first film, but there were genuine moments of awe and wonder -- despite the perpetual storms and perpetual darkness -- but it would've been so much more fun if the CGI hadn't been obscured with particle effects and smothered in color grading.

The Blu-ray supplementals show off the incredible design work that went into the visuals...

946732196_incredibledesign.jpeg.7c518f35a543732fa260b2bca34dcb83.jpeg

...before they were rendered invisible in the finished film.  :vava:

845367496_incrediblyobscured.jpeg.d3b0973e63b0f4407f1a0726097f07a6.jpeg1432380731_underwatercity.jpeg.35b3b70b0dd4e748536932bed69f456c.jpeg

780229999_invisiblecity.jpeg.ea5e32140127d58ec963bede6d0b2a10.jpeg1670631848_devastatinglybeautiful.jpeg.066ae1f982b306ac2107a1142a0c2001.jpeg

776663630_devastatinglyobscured.jpeg.79ebb1a076124f853a3036113a2110ba.jpeg

If I were this guy, I'd be royally pissed.

Chambliss.jpg.cf2f7f6f8539b23d9f2578b7f50b5d70.jpg

On 8/29/2019 at 8:26 AM, tekering said:

Well, it couldn't hold a candle to Gareth Edwards' work on the first film, but there were genuine moments of awe and wonder -- despite the perpetual storms and perpetual darkness -- but it would've been so much more fun if the CGI hadn't been obscured with particle effects and smothered in color grading.

The Blu-ray supplementals show off the incredible design work that went into the visuals...

...before they were rendered invisible in the finished film.  :vava:

If I were this guy, I'd be royally pissed.

His work still looked fantastic, the big G's lair was pretty badass. With HDR and everything going, the movie is a bit dark at times, I made a small adjustment to my TV settings for just this film, I bumped the backlight up just a tad, nothing degraded or washed out, and it made a lot of the darker scenes background detail pop a bit more. 

• 3 weeks later...

I very badly wanted to love King of the Monsters, but it puts me to sleep every single time.  "Mediocrity" is exactly how I'd describe it, which is a huge step down from Michael Dougherty's previous work (and Gareth Edwards' as well, of course).  :(

Mind you, if you look back at its most direct antecedent, 三大怪獣 地球最大の決戦 (Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster), it's a miracle that KotM turned out as well as it did...!

Suffice it to say, there are many, many worse Godzilla films, including the ones featuring Ghidorah.

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991) is still my favorite Godzilla film.

Was KotM formulaic? Sure... it followed the formula of maybe a dozen other Godzilla films. The Godzilla formula if you will.

I'll give the Edwards film credit for trying something different. And it did a better job of showing the scale of the monsters. But almost every time Godzilla did something in the movie The camera cut away, leaving the movie focused on a human story that wasn't all that great (after Bryan Cranston died).

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, tekering said:

X-Plus Gigantic Series Godzilla 2019 has stomped his way into my city diorama!  :D

Most expensive figure I've ever bought.  :vava:

Oh boy, that's a few bucks!!!

Awesome though.

Edited by sqidd

22 minutes ago, tekering said:

I make my own rubble, thanks.  ^_^

devastation4.thumb.jpg.93bf53908cdccd1ef2fe0932e0c92ad3.jpg

Constructive criticism is always welcome!  :hi:

You...made that?  Holy $hit, it looks like it goes on forever.  

How big is that set??

1 hour ago, tekering said:

I make my own rubble, thanks.  ^_^

Constructive criticism is always welcome!  :hi:

Only criticism I can offer is that I don't see the actors on set waiting for the next take.

Also, when's this movie coming out?  Toho needs to give you a raise to get it out faster.