1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

That's a cool toy. I'm hoping for some cool toys to show up at my local Target. I want a Godzilla toy that me and my kids can enjoy playing with. A plush Godzilla toy would be cool too. 

The coolest toy though: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-MonsterArts-Ghidorah-Godzilla/dp/B07M77JTC4/

Damn, almost tempted - but too many clams for me.

3 hours ago, Mazinger said:

The coolest toy though: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-MonsterArts-Ghidorah-Godzilla/dp/B07M77JTC4/

Damn, almost tempted - but too many clams for me.

Yeah, that looks amazing and it's absolutely massive but $180+tax is a lot of money.

It is really big though...

61QDIpSCmAL._SL1500_.jpg

12 minutes ago, badboy00z said:

Can anyone guess or estimate the death toll resulting from the battles of the Kaijus? 

Less than the Mad Queen's, but greater than Cersei's.

11 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The reviews are out and they seem mixed. Basically expect monster action and not much else which is pretty typical for almost every Godzilla film. 

I'll still see it.

Quite a few of them featuring way more conference scenes discussing how to beat Godzilla then monster action.  Only real exception I can think of off the top of my head is the one where Godzilla had a son and they went to the island for the monster face off, and well, that one stunk bad.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Quite a few of them featuring way more conference scenes discussing how to beat Godzilla then monster action.

That's a budgetary issue.  Conference scenes are way cheaper and easier to film than monster action sequences are.  :p

Reviewers for Godzilla 2014 - Not enough Godzilla, too much human nonsense!

Reviewers for Godzilla KOTM 2019 - Too much monster action, humans are boring and terribly written!

Kind of expected, pick your poison people. This is still EXACTLY the film I want and am expecting, I want two hours of expensive kaiju action, I can give two shits less about a coherent plot, human characters, or well written and motivated human characters. Just give me the Big G and his buddies smacking each other down for two hours and I'm good. The 4K Bluray will be glorious, I'm excited for Friday night.

I saw the film this morning and give it a C+.

Positives-Effects are amazing, and the monster battles are exellent. There are a lot of tributes and references to the classic Toho Godzilla films, especially the Heisei era.

Negative-I have to agree with the critics the human scenes are the weakest part of the film. It's not just boardroom discussions on how how to kill the monsters, that's fine by me as it's a staple of the series. It has more to do with some of these characters having truly grating personalities or just being down right unlikable. One character in particular is possibly the worst person I have ever seen and by the end I plain despised them with a passion.

You know that woman from the trailer? The one ranting about the enviroment and the planet's true heirs? The one claiming humans are an infection? Yeah... She's every bit the insane whack job b**** we all thought she'd be.

She lost one of her two kids during the events of the 2014 film in San Francisco. This leads her to break up with her husband(not Bryan Cranston character) and work for Monarch to develop a way of controlling the monsters so nobody else has to suffer her loss. 

Unfortunately her idea of preventing that loss of life is to betray Monarch and hand over the control device to a mercenary eco terrorist with her remaining kid in tow so they can free all the "titans" one by one that Monarch has been keeping in containment/hibernation so they can destroy cities and remake the earth.

Yes her idea to prevent people from losing their loved ones to monster attacks is to kill millions with monster attacks because humans cause war and suffering while the monster's "radiation" can restore life. Which is why she releases Ghidorah and all hell breaks lose because the control doesn't work on him aside from acting like a homing beacon and he can control the other monsters aside from Godzilla and Mothra.

Her ex-husband who returns to Monarch calls her out on this B.S.

The military calls her out on this B.S.

The remaining Monarch personnel call her out on this B.S.

Her own remaining daughter calls her out on this B.S.

The only time where she has a change of heart is when her kid steals the the control device to draw the monsters into an abandoned city to fight it out for the finally, and she realizes "oh s**** I'm going to get my other one killed, I need to play the hero now!"

Ugh.

The c**** didn't get anywhere near the painful death she deserved after all the death and suffering she caused.

Meanwhile Monarch, Serizawa, and not Brian Cranston spend most of the second half of the film trying to revive Godzilla after the military attempts to use an oxygen destoyer missile to kill him, Ghidorah, and Rodan while they are brawling off the coast of Mexico. It doesn't kill anything besides fish and leaving Godzilla heavily wounded.

They eventually track him with the aid of Mothra to his undersea layer in the ruins of an ancient civilization and attempt to use nuclear missiles onboard a sub to heal him. Unfortunately they can't get close due to massive doses of radiation from his layer so Serizawa sacrifices himself hauling the warheads to him in a minisub and detonating them. This "juices" Godzilla healing him and making him stronger, but has the downside of setting him up to meltdown ala "Burning Godzilla" for the final battle.

Tonight's the night, I'm sooooooo excited, can't wait. I'll definitely be seeing this multiple times in theaters, I want my damn MonsterArts figures too, yesterday I read Mothra and Rodan are going to be P Bandai, or TWE items, works for me, I just want them however I can get them.

2 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

Watxed it and kaiju action was great as was the monster music.   Was what I wanted.  Now we need the space chicken  with saw hands.   

That was just Gigan in Final Wars, traditionally he just has hooks on his hands, and a saw blade on his stomach :).

Saw it earlier with some work friends and it’s very meh. The theme music is actually really good at getting you pumped for the action, but I hated every single person in this film. There are a couple really good looking action scenes, but most of the cg looks like early 2000’s cg. The scenes with mothra  were my favorites. That bug was a real beauty and the energy attacks all looked impressive. Overall it’s extremely forgettable. The music and the few great looking scenes are all that save this mess from being hate able. I wouldn’t mind seeing an edited cut that left out all the human aspects from the movie, even if it’s only 30 minutes or less of film time.

1 minute ago, Big s said:

Overall it’s extremely forgettable. The music and the few great looking scenes are all that save this mess from being hate able. I wouldn’t mind seeing an edited cut that left out all the human aspects from the movie, even if it’s only 30 minutes or less of film time.

You've just described every Godzilla movie I've ever seen.  

Saw it last night and absolutely loved it! Phenomenal film, an excellent Blockbuster to start the summer! The fight scenes were incredible and the CG was top notch and amazing, the Big G and some of his closest friends have never looked better, a solid B from me.

Can't deny what reviews are saying, the humans are terrible and dumb, but I can't really say it's any worse then any other Godzilla film, for better or worse, the humans exist to push the monsters into a fight, of which once again are awesome! Highly recommended, I'll be seeing it again next weekend! I'm excited for the Blu-ray, this film will look great in 4K.

24 minutes ago, Dobber said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! I want to see it again. 

Agreed.  I think I liked it more than the first.

Spoiler

I specially liked the reveal of the twins. 

I'd say I heard whoops and clapping from at least four different people not counting myself at this part.

I definitely want another and hopefully we can see the sisters standing next to each other in a scene - maybe even singing the song together.

Apart from that things the I really like:

• Seeing Godzilla just hover in the water glowing. 
  • Seeing the little lights, or butterlies descend on Mosura as she hatched from her caccoon.
  • That Ghidora was acknowledged as not being from Earth.
  • That this movie could almost be considered a prequel to the animated trilogy continuity as it establishes that the emergence of the Titans triggers changes in the vegetation.

Edited by Mazinger

12 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Saw it last night and absolutely loved it!

Me too!  I just got back from seeing it tonight. 

The humans were the weakest part of the story... but honestly, that's about par for the Goji course.  I thought the humans, especially Kyle Chandler and Millie Bobbie Brown, were at least better than the ones in the 2014 (excluding Bryan Cranston).  The film plays with the Godzilla mythos in a way that's distinct from any of the Japanese films yet spiritually similar and did a fantastic job setting King Ghidorah up as Godzilla's nemesis.  I also think the film does a solid job laying out enough information for people who have never seen a Godzilla film to follow the story, but there are a lot of nods to the Toho films for the longtime Godzilla fans.

It's not a perfect movie.  There were some things I didn't care for, and honestly a lot of it is Hollywood doing the Hollywood thing.  But I'd say of the three American Godzilla films it's the closest yet to capturing the spirit of a Toho film.  Quite frankly, I think I liked it better than Endgame.

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

.......  Quite frankly, I think I liked it better than Endgame.

I have to agree. I find myself thinking about this movie ALOT more than I ever did with Endgame or any Marvel movie for that matter. Not saying GKotM is thought provoking or anything....I just REALLY enjoyed it. FOR ME....the Marvel movies are alot of hype...enjoyable....but ultimately 1 and done for viewing and never any desire for repeat viewings. 

Chris

Saw it with my wife yesterday, and we both enjoyed it. She would have liked even more monster mashups, and honestly, I have to agree. 

Spoiler

There were a number of other Titans (I don't know all their names) who were shown awakening, but of them only four were shown to do battle- Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah.  The battles between these guys were done really well, and I agree with other comments that the setup for King Ghidorah was well done.

The giant flying wing that serves as Monarch's base for most of the film was just lovely.:wub: The fact that it disgorges V-22 Ospreys from its belly like TIE fighters from a Star Destroyer was pure awesome.:wub::wub: I think that was my favorite scene. I'd love to see something like that in my lifetime.

I don't think I've ever seen a moth portrayed with such majesty in any medium before. They really made Mothra a  beautiful character, inside and out.

Loved the underwater pre-historical city scenes, and  the events that transpired there were poignant.

While I didn't dislike all the human characters, Dr. Rick Stanton, played by Bradley Whitford, was obnoxious in just about every scene he was in. Charles Dance, who has been playing bad guys for as long as I can remember, was a rather bland bad guy in this film. But he has a great British bad guy voice, and he still has presence just walking into a room and tossing off a line. Kyle Chandler did a good job as the main protagonist who rightly fears the Titans, and who wants to protect his daughter. Vera Farmiga plays probably the most interesting character, as far as motivations and actions go. She represents the human dilemma concerning the Titans and her choices have the greatest import on the plot and how it affects her family. 

The setup at the end of the credits sounds like fun.  If it comes down to a battle, after Boston, I don't think it's anywhere near a fair fight.;)

Can I just say that, along with everything else everyone has said, the soundtrack is frakkING PHENOMENAL. God(zilla), the music alone made shivers run down my spine.

This movie LOVES its source material in every single frame. Mothra was especially wonderful, in just every way possible. In less... caring hands, I could easily see her being completely dumbed down, or altered so drastically as to be unrecognizable. But just the slight tweaks they made to her design and character (so she's not necessarily as passive a character as she was in the Toho films while still being unequivocally a force for good), and the reverence with which all the human characters treat her, and the full-blown orchestra arrangement of her classic theme song playing with a complete lack of irony whatsoever... God I love this movie.

Good catch on the twins. I didn't notice that until my second watch, and it made me squeal like a pig in mud when I did.

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Saw it with my wife yesterday, and we both enjoyed it. She would have liked even more monster mashups, and honestly, I have to agree. 

Hide contents

There were a number of other Titans (I don't know all their names) who were shown awakening, but of them only four were shown to do battle- Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah.  The battles between these guys were done really well, and I agree with other comments that the setup for King Ghidorah was well done.

The giant flying wing that serves as Monarch's base for most of the film was just lovely.:wub: The fact that it disgorges V-22 Ospreys from its belly like TIE fighters from a Star Destroyer was pure awesome.:wub::wub: I think that was my favorite scene. I'd love to see something like that in my lifetime.

I don't think I've ever seen a moth portrayed with such majesty in any medium before. They really made Mothra a  beautiful character, inside and out.

Loved the underwater pre-historical city scenes, and  the events that transpired there were poignant.

While I didn't dislike all the human characters, Dr. Rick Stanton, played by Bradley Whitford, was obnoxious in just about every scene he was in. Charles Dance, who has been playing bad guys for as long as I can remember, was a rather bland bad guy in this film. But he has a great British bad guy voice, and he still has presence just walking into a room and tossing off a line. Kyle Chandler did a good job as the main protagonist who rightly fears the Titans, and who wants to protect his daughter. Vera Farmiga plays probably the most interesting character, as far as motivations and actions go. She represents the human dilemma concerning the Titans and her choices have the greatest import on the plot and how it affects her family. 

The setup at the end of the credits sounds like fun.  If it comes down to a battle, after Boston, I don't think it's anywhere near a fair fight.;)

I found Vera’s character a hypocrite and utterly despicable. She’s takes the high ground when condemning  billions of people to die....just as long as it’s OTHER humans that die. She had the nerve to panic for her daughter when how many millions of other people/families suffered that fate due to her actions. She flat out leaves the father of her child behind to die a horrible death in Antarctica...in front of her daughter, who she had brain washed into being a willing participant. Her only redeeming factor,apparentl, is that she is woman so she gets a pass since Charles Dance’s character has the same goal but is viewed as just a bad guy.....but we are supposed to feel for her? Lol.