Hard points on Yamato 1/60 VF-17 wings?

Shizuka the Cat

7 minutes ago, Sildani said:

Pics please?

image.png.30f9047b60eecdf5de0c9dceb5a3da12.png

In the picture above, the 2 wing slots are denoted with red circles.

image.png.b2de60daf1a66203ecd937e10a1189fd.png

In the picture above, the slot in the wing is denoted by a red circle. Note that the slot is more forward than the Fast Pack peg. As such, as far as I can tell, the Fast Pack is not able to line up the peg into the wing slot.

1 hour ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

image.png.30f9047b60eecdf5de0c9dceb5a3da12.png

In the picture above, the 2 wing slots are denoted with red circles.

image.png.b2de60daf1a66203ecd937e10a1189fd.png

In the picture above, the slot in the wing is denoted by a red circle. Note that the slot is more forward than the Fast Pack peg. As such, as far as I can tell, the Fast Pack is not able to line up the peg into the wing slot.

That’s the fast pack slot, it’s just a pain to line up.

You know, since the wings don't swing in either Fighter or GERWALK modes, those slots could indeed be used as hard points for ordnance -- single stores per wing, but still -- when the VF isn't mounting its Fast Packs; All that would be required is to design a dedicated pylon (a L & R versions may be needed) to mount the plethora of existing missiles from the VF-1 and YF-19, or even alternate versions to carry DX ordnance.  Hmmm!...

46 minutes ago, mechaninac said:

You know, since the wings don't swing in either Fighter or GERWALK modes, those slots could indeed be used as hard points for ordnance -- single stores per wing, but still -- when the VF isn't mounting its Fast Packs; All that would be required is to design a dedicated pylon (a L & R versions may be needed) to mount the plethora of existing missiles from the VF-1 and YF-19, or even alternate versions to carry DX ordnance.  Hmmm!...

That sounds.... wonderful!

I want to stick some reaction warheads on mine and turn it into a stealth bomber

Okay, I figured out how to slot the Fast Packs into the wing slots.

Unlike normal fighter mode where the legs are fully tucked in, with the Fast Packs on you have to slightly pull the legs back away from the cockpit, which makes the fighter slightly longer from nose to tail. This allows the pegs on the Fast Packs to line up with the slots on the wings.

Thanks for the help guys!

7 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

That's because you don't have to.

I don't know about you ArchieNov, but in my case, I did have to.

image.png.68ee17ae74822418d52ea56b56350154.png

In the picture above, the right side of the image shows the leg fully pushed in. The left side of the image shows the leg pulled out 1 tick.

In order for me to get the Fast Packs to line up with the wing slots, I had to do the aforementioned leg pull out. 

It is slight, but was necessary for me... using a sample size of 2 VF-17S toys that I own.

image.png.9d456ab2d1f98b777a93390cb692f488.png

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

I didn't have to do that.  It took some massaging to get the packs lined up but the legs stayed where they were supposed to.  There's some play in the peg that inserts into the leg and you have to fudge that about a bit.  It's honestly not a great design. 

4 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I didn't have to do that.  It took some massaging to get the packs lined up but the legs stayed where they were supposed to.  There's some play in the peg that inserts into the leg and you have to fudge that about a bit.  It's honestly not a great design. 

My Fast Packs attach to the legs quite firmly. As such, I found that there was not any good way of getting the Fast Pack pegs to go into the wing slots without doing the slight leg pull-out, unless I was willing to risk potentially putting stress on the Fast Pack hinge. My method was the safest and easiest way I could get it to work. And I found it actually works quite well.

Not sure what’s causing the need to extend the knee joints for you to align the fast pack hardpoints. If everything is transformed correctly in fighter, there shouldn’t be any potential stress points.

One flaw with the 17 design though is the weight of the legs tend to overcome the strength of the connecting tabs, so they can come undone during handling. This can end up in the legs being slightly out of place from where they need to be.

I can take a pic of my VF-17 for you if you want to check for differences.

I  personally don't have these super parts but You shouldn't have to extend the legs 1 click in order to mount them. Extending the legs in  fighter mode means dislodging the tabs on the backpack/arms that tab into the legs, the design of this VF is not meant to do this with or without the superparts. 

57 minutes ago, Pulltoeject said:

I  personally don't have these super parts but You shouldn't have to extend the legs 1 click in order to mount them. Extending the legs in  fighter mode means dislodging the tabs on the backpack/arms that tab into the legs, the design of this VF is not meant to do this with or without the superparts. 

Actually, I am not seeing any problem with the VF-17 holding together well in fighter mode with the legs extended out a single tick to accommodate the Fast Packs.

In some respects, it is not that different from the Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 toy needing to have the legs bent a bit to accommodate the super/strike parts in fighter mode, or how the YF-19 slightly needs the legs extended to attaching its Fast Packs.