It's totally the framerate. Instead of locking to key poses for a longer period of time and using an animation shortcut between them to impart a sense of movement, the studio chose to simply render fewer frames across an entire animation. It's way easier and more cost-effective (which is why you see it used a lot nowadays), but doesn't look nearly as convincing because more of those extraneous in-between poses stay on screen for longer.

For my part, after seeing the first... 2?... episodes, I don't know why they didn't just do this in live action with a really high CGI budget. It's not like they didn't already fully mo-cap the scenes and aren't slavishly recreating the look and feel (and acting caliber) of low-budget tokusatsu shows. They could also surely have saved some money by not modeling all of Tokyo down to the finest detail...

• 3 weeks later...

That's the child who inherited Ultraman genes from the father who was Ultraman so the kid has enhanced strength, flight, etc.

The suit was built specifically for him to further utilise those powers against alien threat.

Edited by eXis10z

I'm aware of Ultraman and the cultural phenomenon he is in Japan, but this show was my first experience consuming any Ultraman content.  And while, as others have noted, the CGI animation is awful, I really enjoyed the show overall.  I gather this is based on a manga that's still ongoing, so hopefully we get another season.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Fusion said:

So how are they able to make ultra suits?  I always thought ultraman was ultraman because he's part of that alien.

There's still aliens in it, and iirc the suits do use alien technology.

3 hours ago, Dynaman said:

And at least one of them is made and repaired by an Alien.  I can't remember if the others were actually made by the aliens or not.

Think that was the Ace suit. Ultraman and Seven suit are made on earth, utilising some alien tech iirc.

• 1 year later...
  • no3Ljm changed the title to Everything ULTRAMAN on Netflix
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...