The Gatchaman toy I’ve waited my whole life for?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 2:51 AM, JetJockey said:

I forgot all about this one. But with the Prime 1 statues, that's the focus now. The old version does seem better unless you just want a bigger version.

more pictures.  no price yet on the status.  i think it will probably be around $800 to $1K

http://news.toyark.com/2019/01/07/gatchaman-ken-the-eagle-statue-by-prime-1-studio-328375?fbclid=IwAR0ahO-4s6oD8765825BbshGHsQw_xLq2sA6-SY9AGPUk3BDXlvr6cL6IPY

25 minutes ago, macsam said:

That KEN figure really does look awesome. :wub:

Prime-1-Gatchaman-Ken-Statue-001.jpg.8c59c130ea4762dd87554e81858dbaf1.jpg

Prime-1-Gatchaman-Ken-Statue-021.thumb.jpg.9c4f47c426ed63ff8675e64c42b6338d.jpg

Prime-1-Gatchaman-Ken-Statue-037.jpg.05e7655cf19940fdc74f4627c25771c5.jpg

Prime-1-Gatchaman-Ken-Statue-040.jpg.76d0a51dda1b048988bfa6c11ec29fc2.jpg

Prime-1-Gatchaman-Ken-Statue-004.thumb.jpg.548d2909c9f2de68508f7f63ab103b59.jpg

Prime-1-Gatchaman-Ken-Statue-052.jpg.53ad8cb228049f6323af09e626b57a8e.jpg

I started a topic for the Prime 1 Studio figure when it was at a convention. I guess not that many Gatchaman fans here.

Priced at $799 for the normal release and $849 for the exclusive face. It will be expensive if and when they make all of them. I'll save the $50 as I'll never display the exclusive face.

I do consider myself a Gatchaman fan, just not $500+ a fan. Valks take precedence and, at this point, are dramatically cheaper, which says something about the pricing.  I'd love a Hi-Metal R version of the season 1 Phoenix.

On 1/14/2019 at 9:54 AM, Mazinger said:

I do consider myself a Gatchaman fan, just not $500+ a fan. Valks take precedence and, at this point, are dramatically cheaper, which says something about the pricing.  I'd love a Hi-Metal R version of the season 1 Phoenix.

On 1/14/2019 at 3:11 PM, Petrov27 said:

Same - the figure does look very good though. I would like one maybe half that size and mucho cheaper (along with the entire rest of the team)

I don't know if you guys get stuff from Sideshow Collectibles. But they do have a rewards points program.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/why-sideshow/sideshow-rewards/

Plus, during events like Comic Con and their October and Christmas events, they give out free points towards the rewards program. It used to be a lot with some people getting $50 if not more during one of those events alone. So by the time June 2020 comes around and if he isn't delayed, that $799 price could be lower or the rewards used towards the possible next team member.

These big statues are getting more and more expensive though. They are getting more detailed and prices in China are rising. But I remember getting some older statues from Sideshow Collectibles in the $300 range.

Edited by JetJockey

On 1/14/2019 at 7:54 AM, Mazinger said:

On 1/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, Petrov27 said:

Same - the figure does look very good though. I would like one maybe half that size and mucho cheaper (along with the entire rest of the team)

This is true for me too. I'm a fan of Gatchaman (I remember it was being called G-Force in the Philippines) back in the days. But like Mazinger said, I'm also not a $500+ fan. I wouldn't mind completing the team in Figuarts form though. ^_^

However, I'm not sure if I'm getting the Phoenix from EvoToys to complete the whole shebang. Just because... it's made by EvoToys. :rolleyes:

Edited by no3Ljm

• 3 weeks later...

I never watched the Gatchaman with that different Phoenix either. Never liked the design when I first saw it and still don't. It's the original or OVA Phoenix for me. The OVA Phoenix is what they should make next since I don't think any company has attempted one yet.

• 3 weeks later...

So it looks like the God Phoenix has been released, and mine was shipped just yesterday, so I'm keen to see how it compares to my old Unifive version! Fingers crossed its as good or better! 

https://hlj.com/metal-action-no-9-god-phoenix-evt57302

The God Phoenix has landed in Australia!

Thought I could pop a couple of pics up beside my old anime colored unifive, both have good and bad points,  but I do like the new evolution toys one, the paint reaaaally pops.  Please excuse the messy table, it's the lightsaber wiring table:)

Did anyone else grab one?

20190226_202609.jpg

20190226_202932.jpg

20190226_201955.jpg

20190226_202110.jpg

20190226_202008.jpg

10 hours ago, Sam said:

The God Phoenix has landed in Australia!

Thought I could pop a couple of pics up beside my old anime colored unifive, both have good and bad points,  but I do like the new evolution toys one, the paint reaaaally pops.  Please excuse the messy table, it's the lightsaber wiring table:)

Did anyone else grab one?

20190226_202609.jpg

20190226_202932.jpg

20190226_201955.jpg

20190226_202110.jpg

20190226_202008.jpg

Oh hell yeah! It looks great and thanks for comparing it with the Unifive. Mine is on the way!

No prob =-) Its got some nice extra gimmicks, such as bird missiles that drop from the bottom of g5, and the dome on top is clear now instead of grey plastic. They even made the bottom vents open/ close when you use the intakes open/close mechanism. They didn't do teh finer details as well as unifives though, such as the top bird missile isn't painted, and their isn't the same level of paint on the g1-4 as uni, but still looks amazing =-)  You'll love it ! 

2 hours ago, Sam said:

No prob =-) Its got some nice extra gimmicks, such as bird missiles that drop from the bottom of g5, and the dome on top is clear now instead of grey plastic. They even made the bottom vents open/ close when you use the intakes open/close mechanism. They didn't do teh finer details as well as unifives though, such as the top bird missile isn't painted, and their isn't the same level of paint on the g1-4 as uni, but still looks amazing =-)  You'll love it ! 

Sounds great! It’s unfortunate they didn’t paint the bird missile but who needs bird missiles when you can go firebird? :D

This is pretty much one of my most anticipated toys of my life. 

lol true true. The firey phoenix accessory looks really good, quite flexible material as well, and it does fit over ok, but i'm thinking of making a 3d print dummy phoenix to put it on so I can have both forms showing in the display =-)

the parts that are plastic dont feel dodgy at all, which is the impression from the vf2ss, ( not so much the legioss, its a lot better imo) but god phoenixs  the main body is metal, the main wings are as well ( with a nice embossed g5 logo I might add!) so its really just the extremities that appear plastic, so theres not enough of it to feel cheap =-)  the paint job brings it all together beautifully though, its the nicest blue!

The vent opening mechanism is a little stiff but nothing really wrong. The front nose cone that splits to reveal g2 doesn't stay together well at all, so I'll never be using that i reckon. 

The minor annoyances are that the g vehicles are a bit fiddly to fit in, Joes race cars wheels dont roll like the unifives one either. 

Overall I'm really glad I got it, its got me kinda wishing for the unifive original color as well though LOL. Love em. 

So it sounds like even with a base toy to copy, ET still couldn’t knock it out the park but it does still sound very good. If you go through with the 3D print to put inside the firebird, please share. I was thinking the firebird would be fine to display just by itself. 

I received the ET God Phoenix last Friday. I've opened it and had about 30 minutes to mess with it: enough for a first impression. It's my first and only version of God Phoenix, so I'll not be able to compare it to other versions like the ones made by Unifive or the Fewture. 

The G5 is very nice indeed. It's well-painted and the colors pop. The intakes and vents opening and closing work well, and I do like the opening and closing landing gear, even if they lack actual rolling wheels instead of molded ones. It really is a pity that the bird missiles on the bottom are painted, but the ones on top aren't. 

As said, G5 comes with two different nosecones: one plain one and one which folds open on four hinges. Mine seems to close alright even with G2 stored, but the joints are very visible and definitely detract from the streamlined look. 

It's G1 - G4 that have have the slight issues. I wasn't able to fit G4 into the wing pod, and while trying I actually broke one of the tracks. It was a clean break on a glued connection, so I'll be able to easily fix it, but it shouldn't have happened. The rail on which G4 hangs and the bracket which holds G3 are pretty flimsy soft plastic, and I feel they might just break with a little too much force applied. I also feel like they might have designed G2's wheels to turn, instead of being molded. G1 is pretty nice, with actual deployable landing gear (which I wasn't expecting), but I haven't yet been able to deploy one of the two rear landing gear, because it's stuck tight, and too small and thin for me to dare exerting too much force. 

The Red Impulse jet seems to be fine. The one I have looks nice, it has no issues, and the landing gear deploys fine. 

I haven't yet put on the firebird accessory, but I can tell it looks great.

All in all, I'd say my pre-order money was well spent, although it's probably not quite worth the current secondary market prices. 

On 3/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, Slave IV said:

So it sounds like even with a base toy to copy, ET still couldn’t knock it out the park but it does still sound very good. If you go through with the 3D print to put inside the firebird, please share. I was thinking the firebird would be fine to display just by itself. 

I know right, I thought it would be perfect or near on, but even with its flaws its still awesome. And yeh no prob re 3d design, it probably wont be amazing or anything though lol =-)

The Phoenix measures just over 20cm long very end to very tip if that helps? Not sure how long the  real (hehe real, if ONLY) one is meant to be !=-)

On 3/4/2019 at 7:57 AM, Vifam7 said:

Would greatly appreciate if you could take a guess at the scale size.  Looks like somewhere around 1:200 scale but hard to tell from photos.

6 hours ago, Sam said:

The Phoenix measures just over 20cm long very end to very tip if that helps? Not sure how long the  real (hehe real, if ONLY) one is meant to be !=-)

I can’t find anything on the supposed size the God Phoenix is supposed to be but this listing for a 21.7 cm model kit says it is 1/320 so ET’s maybe around 1/350.https://hlj.com/1-320-scale-gatchaman-god-phoenix-ima82745

7 hours ago, Sam said:

I know right, I thought it would be perfect or near on, but even with its flaws its still awesome. And yeh no prob re 3d design, it probably wont be amazing or anything though lol =-)

ET Gonna ET I guess, lol. Thanks and look forward to seeing more of this. 

I can't find a source for the God Phoenix's 'real life' measurements which makes it pretty hard to put a scale to this model. Considering the length of the G2, which seems to be about the size of a Formula 1 racing car,  I'd say the scale is indeed in the range between 1/350 and 1/320 (making the G5 around the length of a large passenger jet). It's definitely not 1/200. That's more the scale of the Fewture large model.  

• 3 months later...

Finally opened this

1949549612_Gatchaman_GodPhoenix.jpg.6209ef95211329c2a48841523c7523d6.jpg190322924_Gatchaman_GodPhoenix_2.jpg.aff740cdad26add5a3b22887f6e8ce85.jpg

Had to evaluate it since I saw the Gatchaman 2 version just went up for preorder. Overall, I'm satisfied as it does everything I need and want out of a God Phoenix toy. It seems like a decent update to the Unifive. I can however see that anything slightly more complicated would have been a complete disaster for Evolution Toy's abilities. It's ridiculous that they went through a complicated design for the stands and the stand parts fit are so tight, I could barley put them together but then the shaped parts to attach the toys to don't actually attach at all, the planes just loosely lay on top. WTF?!  

But, since the stand is my biggest complaint, that's not too bad compared to how bad it could have been. These are definitely overpriced but still worth it to me as a huge Gatchaman fan. Needless to say, God Phoenix 2 preordered and I am glad to finally be able to get two of my all my favorite ships from one of my all time favorite anime completed!

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2019 at 8:23 AM, Vifam7 said:

How well does the G-1 and Red Impulse compare n size against Bandai's 1/250 scale Fighter Collection Macross gashapons?

Sorry, I meant to give you a comparison pic a while ago but just got around to it.

Gatchaman_Macross_Gashapon.thumb.jpg.9d6efc677dbd928792552107f70bb845.jpg

They are close but I'd say the Valk is slightly bigger.

• 8 months later...

Oh Hell Yeah!

284CEB4E-4B04-423B-A3B2-FF623DFB2287.jpeg.a382964a27fe5cc00b54bccb1329dada.jpeg

This has been long awaited since having the original Poppy!

And it does not disappoint!

285650653_Gatchaman-GodPhoenixII-DSC08135.jpg.e589e225a584549b2161de7c48c1a40f.jpg2938403_Gatchaman-GodPhoenixII-DSC08136.jpg.6250e5c4940d823d450cf0b872c326c9.jpg539491601_Gatchaman-GodPhoenixII-DSC08137.jpg.4bb9669deb7a48494625a27191ac0ded.jpg1842060830_Gatchaman-GodPhoenixII-DSC08138.jpg.6e06177f5eef9221c341363a0d516f86.jpg1907692454_Gatchaman-GodPhoenixII-DSC08139.jpg.b7c9d5e03c977cc6eac3dc911e96a869.jpg325139404_Gatchaman-GodPhoenixII-DSC08140.jpg.c873d47164d5cb8b00b26d6cf2bd7f9f.jpg

Credit goes where due to Evolution Toy for this. I know they don't get much praise but my only two products from them being the Gatchaman ships, I'm very satisfied! Mostly diecast and this one seems to have better fit and finish than the last one. Definitely recommended!

• 1 year later...