The Gatchaman toy I’ve waited my whole life for?

They keep releasing the original but no one wants to make the OVA version. I still have my old version from I think Unifive. Going by the Alpha Fighter, I hope Evolution Toy makes a better God Phoenix.

The really expensive God Phoenix from Art Storm I believe is supposed to come out this month. I look for reviews on occasion and notice that it keeps getting delayed though.

I just saw this on AmiAmi.  I was about to click pre-order when I saw:

Evolution Toy

Now, I don't loathe the VF-2SS by ET like others here.  However, I was disappointed in it compared to it's price.  Reviews of their Alpha toys are iffy as well.  So, do I roll the dice on this one?

Gonna have to think on this.

If I were you, I'd choose the company who has more reputation on making good stuff -- Art Storm.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-029689

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-033883

But sad to say, it doesn't come with the Firebird effect. Though I have to give my hats off to Evo for doing that. ;)

22 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

If I were you, I'd choose the company who has more reputation on making good stuff -- Art Storm.

But sad to say, it doesn't come with the Firebird effect. Though I have to give my hats off to Evo for doing that. ;)

I have that one.  It's very nice.  It sits next to my Yamato and SDF-1 representative of my holy trinity of formative anime.

But the wings don't articulate.  It doesn't have the other team vehicles.  So, it just feels like it's missing something.  I was thinking of chasing down a Unifive later this year, but they can be pricey.

2 hours ago, GabrielV said:

I have that one.  It's very nice.  It sits next to my Yamato and SDF-1 representative of my holy trinity of formative anime.

But the wings don't articulate.  It doesn't have the other team vehicles.  So, it just feels like it's missing something.  I was thinking of chasing down a Unifive later this year, but they can be pricey.

I agree I'd want articulated wings. Nice Kodai Susumu avatar.

They tooled the toy with a hideous seam running the length of the forward fuselage on both sides, with NO attempt whatsoever to camouflage it as part of the panel-lining. Really? They couldn't even TRY to put the panel line closer to the top or bottom corner, or maybe make the gray vent parts separate, plastic pieces to partially cover the gap somehow? SLOPPY DESIGN! The surface details also don't hold a candle to the Fewture version which is still available for roughly the same price.... And a little less if you're patient. Fire-chicken gimmick: I guess it's cool, but I think I'd rather just make a resin casting of the shell and display it as a separate piece, or have one 3D printed. 

Dunno, man. With all the competition out there, I think the point is to try to make a product that's BETTER than what your competitor made. Some firms, it seems, don't even phone-in the effort. End of rant.

20 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I know about the Fewture God Phoenix but it amounts to an expensive glorified paperweight since it does nothing. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on it several times but couldn’t go through with it. What I really wanted back in the day when I could have grabbed it for $100 was the Uni-Five but since I missed the opportunity, I’m not paying the aftermarket prices so I’ve been waiting for something similar and better to come along. 

13 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

random aside, a prop maker on facebook that I fallow has been working on their own God Phoenix. I think it looks pretty cool.

35236149_1730888993664010_5841452184541069312_n.jpg.a50ebd859e522f66d10cde4c79e55cdd.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/VectorSigmaCreations/

That looks pretty cool!

On 7/6/2018 at 10:55 AM, JetJockey said:

They keep releasing the original but no one wants to make the OVA version. I still have my old version from I think Unifive. Going by the Alpha Fighter, I hope Evolution Toy makes a better God Phoenix.

The really expensive God Phoenix from Art Storm I believe is supposed to come out this month. I look for reviews on occasion and notice that it keeps getting delayed though.

The OVA design reminds me of Escaflowne a bit. Pretty cool but not grabbing me the way the Original and second version do. 

so iconic....like a burning memory from early childhood this design evokes so much memory.  probably the first japanimation i watched (before i knew it was even japanese).  love this deisgn.  hope evolution toys doesn't screw it up.  lol.  whats cooler than ninjas?  science ninjas...in space with cool ships.

2 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

so iconic....like a burning memory from early childhood this design evokes so much memory.  probably the first japanimation i watched (before i knew it was even japanese).  love this deisgn.  hope evolution toys doesn't screw it up.  lol.  whats cooler than ninjas?  science ninjas...in space with cool ships.

My thoughts as well. I was surprised that I didn’t find a dedicated Gatchaman thread here but that was probably my poor search skills. Let’s not forget they not only had cool ships, they were transforming ships and vehicles. The main reason Macross took over as my favorite anime series is because they took transforming toys to another level, beyond anything I’ve ever seen and they are keeping it up to this day.

I loved "Battle of the Planets" as a kid, and even then knew there was something different about it compared to the other "cartoons" I would watch (and, er, also that Jupiter doesn't have an atmosphere that you can race horses in but never mind... :)) The reveal that Zoltar might actually be a woman [1] blew my tiny mind at the time. It was the start of a long road that led eventually to several wonderful adventures in Japan, but thats another story...

I think what I love about Gatchaman is Galactor, especially the first incarnation from the original series - they're the Evil Anime Organisations Evil Anime Organisation of choice. I was also impressed, watching the original Japanese incarnation with the character of Jun - yes, that skirt - but shes also usually the more considered, intelligent one compared to Ken and Joes go-to solution of "MOAR MISSILES!".

[1] Was a long time later before I found out the "truth"...!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

18 minutes ago, Petrov27 said:

Same here - along with maybe Speed Racer this was one of the 1st anime I saw as a kid and was totally amazed by it. Wish there was a good modern-quality series of figures out for the whole team...

I would pre-order the entire team in a heartbeat if Bandai were to release them in the SH Figuarts line.

Not so sure on this Evolution release of the God Phoenix. It looks a bit off.  The seamline along the side also looks pretty bad.

I have the Fewture/Art Storm releases of all of the vehicles and they all have wonderful sculpts....  only to be let down by sloppy ass paint work. orz

19 hours ago, Slave IV said:

The OVA design reminds me of Escaflowne a bit. Pretty cool but not grabbing me the way the Original and second version do. 

I've never seen an episode of the second Gatchaman series. I think I like the OVA version so much because I go through empty spells with anime and I saw a bootleg of the OVA in the 90s and thought that's Battle of the Planets / Gatchaman. It was cool seeing the new updated version after all those years and it probably got me back into watching anime again. It was either that or Ghost in the Shell that did it.

12 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

Same here. I knew the animation was different. And it was before Robotech. I'm sure like Robotech, I jumped into Battle of the Planets not at the beginning of the show. And never saw all of it. I vaguely remember drawing the Phoenix a lot. I didn't know it was called the God Phoenix until the OVA. As a kid I just thought the idea of a plane turning into a burning Phoenix was one of the coolest things ever.

6 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

I loved "Battle of the Planets" as a kid, and even then knew there was something different about it compared to the other "cartoons" I would watch (and, er, also that Jupiter doesn't have an atmosphere that you can race horses in but never mind... :)) The reveal that Zoltar might actually be a woman [1] blew my tiny mind at the time. It was the start of a long road that led eventually to several wonderful adventures in Japan, but thats another story...

I think what I love about Gatchaman is Galactor, especially the first incarnation from the original series - they're the Evil Anime Organisations Evil Anime Organisation of choice. I was also impressed, watching the original Japanese incarnation with the character of Jun - yes, that skirt - but shes also usually the more considered, intelligent one compared to Ken and Joes go-to solution of "MOAR MISSILES!".

[1] Was a long time later before I found out the "truth"...!

Since I didn't watch all of the episodes, I knew something was strange with Zoltar. He was a guy that seemed to wear lipstick. Guys didn't wear ear rings yet at that point let alone lipstick. It was a while before those overseas music groups with the guys that dressed like girls and wore lipstick. I always found this scene funny.

5 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Same here - along with maybe Speed Racer this was one of the 1st anime I saw as a kid and was totally amazed by it. Wish there was a good modern-quality series of figures out for the whole team...

Me too. I wish Kotobukiya or another Japanese company would make the whole group. Even Jun doesn't have a good figure yet which is really surprising.

I remember interest in Battle of the Planets some years ago with comics. But I think the stories weren't that good. I know I have a few and stopped because it was so bad. The Alex Ross covers were good though. I think I have the artbook with his work from the series or I want to get it. I know I have a set of cards and these lithographs. One from Alex Ross and a recent one from Artgerm.

5b4411fa8053e_BattleofthePlanetsAlexRoss.jpg.7ee47dcd4a5746d619dbc09405615c73.jpg

5b44120c45639_JunJusticeMagazineArtgerm.jpg.6c70c7c6412f0d4db37d62c34e6b6559.jpg

Edited by JetJockey

Nice! I figured there had to be more Gatchaman love on this site considering what it is. 

The OVA was great but the God Phoenix just didn’t seem as bad ass to me in it. I love the 2nd version that actually looks like a Phoenix. But yeah, all Gatchaman is my favorite anime series of all time next to Macross and the OVA came at a good time. It is criminal how few toys there are for Gatchaman. 

I went ahead and ordered it. I love the Legioss design and I’ll be pissed if ET makes a Tread and the combo ends up being the best Weber for a while but I can’t bring myself to buy that. This, on the other hand, I just can’t miss. 

As for the criticism, yeah all valid but all the details on the EX version seem made up anyways so I can pretend the lines on the ET are just made up details too. At this this one does some toylike things while the EX does nothing. The size is decent too at right in between the EX and Unifive. Anyways, will see how it goes. 

On 7/7/2018 at 2:55 AM, GabrielV said:

I just saw this on AmiAmi.  I was about to click pre-order when I saw:

Evolution Toy

Now, I don't loathe the VF-2SS by ET like others here.  However, I was disappointed in it compared to it's price.  Reviews of their Alpha toys are iffy as well.  So, do I roll the dice on this one?

Gonna have to think on this.

It's a fixed pose toy with miniimal to no articulation and  just a few replaceable parts. How badly can they screw it up?

Oh wait.............its Evolution Toys !  LOL

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! I figured there had to be more Gatchaman love on this site considering what it is. 

The OVA was great but the God Phoenix just didn’t seem as bad ass to me in it. I love the 2nd version that actually looks like a Phoenix. But yeah, all Gatchaman is my favorite anime series of all time next to Macross and the OVA came at a good time. It is criminal how few toys there are for Gatchaman. 

I went ahead and ordered it. I love the Legioss design and I’ll be pissed if ET makes a Tread and the combo ends up being the best Weber for a while but I can’t bring myself to buy that. This, on the other hand, I just can’t miss. 

As for the criticism, yeah all valid but all the details on the EX version seem made up anyways so I can pretend the lines on the ET are just made up details too. At this this one does some toylike things while the EX does nothing. The size is decent too at right in between the EX and Unifive. Anyways, will see how it goes. 

Speaking of toys, you think there would be a few versions of Jun's yo-yo released too.

17 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Sentinel made Ken and Joe figures a few years ago that looked quite promising. Unfortunately they've been discontinued.

FIGURE-011426_05.jpg 

FIGURE-011723_03.jpg

1 hour ago, mark-1s said:

Sentinel made Ken and Joe figures a few years ago that looked quite promising. Unfortunately they've been discontinued.

FIGURE-011426_05.jpg 

FIGURE-011723_03.jpg

Yep, I have both of those. Best Gatchaman figures ever made and the did variants and reissues of both but none of the rest of the team. That style of figure would have worked well for Ryu but not so sure about Jinpei and Jun. I think the crappy old Diamond Select figures scale close enough together though. 

i remember those sentinel figures.  i really kinda wanted them but coudln't get past those hip joints.  the cuts and sculpting also make them look less human and more...robot/android.  cool but not exactly what i wanted.  i wish SHF, mafex, revoltech, or figma would do the whole set of 5 at least and also some galactor characters. 

also lol every shot of jun here has visible undies.  i bet those artists felt things they didn't understand watching the show as a kid and fully understood before drawing those works. haha

6 hours ago, mark-1s said:

FIGURE-011426_05.jpg 

FIGURE-011723_03.jpg

These figures was made to CGI anime Infini-T Force.

Infini-T-Force.jpg

Joe appear in the movie Infini-T Force Movie: Gatchaman - Saraba Tomo yo.

313d7cb5a3a44fe33551844eebca71c215105745

1 hour ago, Old_Nash said:

These figures was made to CGI anime Infini-T Force.

Infini-T-Force.jpg

Joe appear in the movie Infini-T Force Movie: Gatchaman - Saraba Tomo yo.

313d7cb5a3a44fe33551844eebca71c215105745

The first two were not made for Infini-T Force since they came out long before. They were "Gatchaman" figures. They did an Infini-T version repaint of Ken when Infini-T came out:

4fca3f426b36ef04c973047ecf89dd8a.jpg

I wish the original release had the same cape color scheme with the red inside.

14 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

i remember those sentinel figures.  i really kinda wanted them but coudln't get past those hip joints.  the cuts and sculpting also make them look less human and more...robot/android.  cool but not exactly what i wanted.  i wish SHF, mafex, revoltech, or figma would do the whole set of 5 at least and also some galactor characters. 

also lol every shot of jun here has visible undies.  i bet those artists felt things they didn't understand watching the show as a kid and fully understood before drawing those works. haha

Hot Toys would be too expensive but I'm hoping for Kotobukiya to make them. If they can make GI Joe then they can make Gatchaman.

Here is another piece of art without the pantie shot.

5b45a52d90c6e_alexrossbotp.jpg.fd190dc7d71d741b072056451b3a8d6c.jpg

2 minutes ago, Petrov27 said:

Yeah I totally dig that artwork there

Dang so wish they would do a 2199 style reboot with associated new merch like figs etc.

Better yet, a reboot that, like the original series, takes place in the early 70's: re-use the original character designs, but update the stories and animation with a modern touch.

I love all the artwork Alex Ross did for the comic and DVD sets. I have most of the prints including a signed version of this one that was on my wall for years:

Battle of the Planets Alex Ross.jpg

I do wish the Firebird cover for the upcoming toy was shaped more like it's supposed to look.

On 7/11/2018 at 4:44 PM, Petrov27 said:

Yeah I totally dig that artwork there

Dang so wish they would do a 2199 style reboot with associated new merch like figs etc.

I couldn't believe the look of that last Gatchaman series. I still haven't attempted to watch it.

3 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I couldn't believe the look of that last Gatchaman series. I still haven't attempted to watch it.

Crowds? It wasn't a terrible show, but it had exactly nothing to do with Gatchaman. I don't really know what was going on with that title.

• 1 month later...

Someone on the statue forums teased that Prime 1 Studio might have Gatchaman statues in the works. We'll see soon. I hope they are better than their Robotech releases and more like their other Japanese anime and comic lines.