Saw Far From Home this weekend and thought it was just okay.  I enjoyed the slice of life aspects of the film though a fair amount of the humor fell flat.  The action was a bit hard to follow as well but I had the same issue with Homecoming.

Overall, not executed as well as the first film but I am still excited to see where they go with the next one.

It was a real good movie. Not a blockbuster IMO, but a fun flick. The humor was nice and had the audience laughing. Pacing was a little slow at first, but it sure picked up as it went along

Spoiler

Though having Mysterio and the others be Stark rejects was an interesting take, I was hoping Mysterio (Beck) really was from another Earth. Having them as Stark Has-Beens wasn't as interesting as it could have been. In a way, it felt like a retread of IM3.

Also, having Peter framed for Mysterio's death and his identity revealed felt more like the balloon being popped. It was a fun ending until then. Kind of like Thor Ragnarok, where it was such a fun movie, but nearly everyone dies at the end, putting a damper on it.

But that being said, I enjoyed it. Won't see it again in the theater, but I'll buy the blu-ray.

Did anyone else notice the framing in this movie? Lots of shot-reverse shot, and the editing of the ADR (additional dialogue recording) into those shots wasn't always great, and lots of cutting back and forth between character expressions, and sometimes you could tell the shots are out of sync.

The shot of Peter getting walloped by the Water Elemental on the bridge looked pretty amateurish and lacked impact. You could tell he was just being pulled by a rope.

Probably not things one would notice on a single or even multiple viewings, but I couldn't NOT notice it when I saw the movie three times in three days.

31 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Probably not things one would notice on a single or even multiple viewings, but I couldn't NOT notice it when I saw the movie three times in three days.

Sideshow Bob loves you.  Such attention to details merit some kind of a nod... :good:

Ok, I couldn't find a nod, but there you go.  Just as good.  Now, the question is did you watch Avengers Endgame five times in five days, if not, why not?  You need to find ways of breaking your own record.  :rofl:

3 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Sideshow Bob loves you.  Such attention to details merit some kind of a nod... :good:

Ok, I couldn't find a nod, but there you go.  Just as good.  Now, the question is did you watch Avengers Endgame five times in five days, if not, why not?  You need to find ways of breaking your own record.  :rofl:

I didn't particularly want to see it again after the first show, but like I said in a previous post, different friends happened to want to see it different days. :lol:

I actually went and caught Endgame again last weekend during a matinee, for the extra bits at the end. They were kind of meh, especially since one extra bit was just the intro to Far From Home. Still, it's Endgame, so... it'll always be fun to see it on the big screen. (I think this makes it my... 4th? 3rd? viewing of that, too.)

Edited by kajnrig

Caught it a few days ago, and i feel.....

Spoiler

Slow start.... and perhaps because i'm an old fart now, I didn't care about the teen romance between Parker and MJ, nor Betty and Ned. I felt it could have been left out entirely and the story would have not have been altered substantially. Spider-man could have been the one picking up the projector instead and figuring out the plot independently. 

I don't like the idea of Peter Parker trying to shirk responsibility. Just out of character. Whatever happened to him living out the words "with great power comes great responsibility"? Also, to me it was just incredibly rude to reject calls from someone, especially when that someone would only ever call you for something really urgent. Would you like someone like that on your team who cannot be trusted to answer the call when it comes?

Normally i'd feel bad for Peter in the movies, but this time, I don't. he deserved everything. He worsened the mess (the mess can be argued to have originated from Stark) because Peter shirked responsibility, and in such a irresponsible manner too.

Also, Stark, though Even Dead I'm The Hero (EDITH), this hero sure created loads of villians in the MCU even-when-dead (or especially when dead). How many more disgruntled employees or steam-rolled contractors, are waiting in the wings waiting to become the next supervillian? Seems like his legacy is pretty mixed.

On the bright side, the back story of Mysterio in the movie makes perfect sense and the scene where he lures Peter into an illusion works perfectly for me. Having JK Simmons reprise his role was perfect, though I felt like i've been splashed with cold water after feeling warm and cozy... definitely makes me feel bad. Though I will say that it reflects the reality of information manipulation happening in the real world, especially relevant in today's context.

Perfectly serviceable movie, just that the part where Peter was actively shirking responsibility was particularly jarring for me.

I guess Peter's a fan of hanging out in bars unmasked?

That's twice Peter has distracted teens on a bus while maintaining his secret I.D. Who the hell cares about mountain goats when everyone's addicted to their phones?

7 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I didn't particularly want to see it again after the first show, but like I said in a previous post, different friends happened to want to see it different days. :lol:

I actually went and caught Endgame again last weekend during a matinee, for the extra bits at the end. They were kind of meh, especially since one extra bit was just the intro to Far From Home. Still, it's Endgame, so... it'll always be fun to see it on the big screen. (I think this makes it my... 4th? 3rd? viewing of that, too.)

Sideshow Bob appreciates the effort.   Three showings on Endgame, possibly a fourth.  Not bad.  Sideshow Bob encourages you to do better with the next Marvel outing.  No, we're not going to tell you what it is yet, it's a super secret surprise.  :bump:

Hint: "it's probably something in the DC verse.  After all, if we can succeed with Marvel, why can't we rehabilitate DC too, WB, Sideshow Bob is looking at you."  :p

• 1 month later...

https://www.cbr.com/sony-kills-spider-man-deal-with-marvel/?utm_content=buffer3c48b&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&fbclid=IwAR1bc0eHuGNlCbtgu-Pa2n8XDSAkXMc9XABlCqyJ-tEu41NhZwUJQz5LJ1I

NONSENSE XD

32185478_1015253345308571_87270747059425

*Spider: I don't want to go, Mr. Stark! I Want to stay!

I don't want to goooooooo

Venom: Hey, look who go back to Sonyverse! Cmon Here Spidey XD

Edited by Old_Nash

Sucks big time.

Sony can kick rocks for this one, and even if Marvel and Sony manage to squeak out a deal as a fan I can't stand becoming vested in a character just for that time to be wasted.

13 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

-b.

4 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Sucks big time.

Sony can kick rocks for this one, and even if Marvel and Sony manage to squeak out a deal as a fan I can't stand becoming vested in a character just for that time to be wasted.

-b.

Doesn’t read like just Sony here.  Disney was the one changing the deal.  Profits were never shared between the studios before.  Though honestly the only reason why this second Spider-Man did so well is because it was Tony Starks epilogue of sorts.  The first Spider-Man wasn’t terribly successful.

Disney needs to tread carefully here.  Endgame closed a huge chunk of the over-arching story, and it can become a good stopping/leaving point for people.

Dropping Spidey, putting the Netflix Marvel heroes on hiatus, throwing more stuff to watch on Disney+, and we may be reaching a burnout point.

Regardless of “blame,” it’s not a good look for Disney.

You can be the benevolent monopoly, but once we start seeing cracks or you peel back the curtain to reveal the “business side of things,” you might be setting yourself up for a royal fall.

Edited by Mog

1 minute ago, Mommar said:

Doesn’t read like just Sony here.  Disney was the one changing the deal.  Profits were never shared between the studios before.  Though honestly the only reason why this second Spider-Man did so well is because it was Tony Starks epilogue of sorts.  The first Spider-Man wasn’t terribly successful.

Per the article Disney wanted to split financing and profits with Sony, which seems fair to me, and Sony's response was no. The profits are about the same between Homecoming and Far From Home, with of course post-Endgame bump for FFH.

IMO it makes perfect sense for Marvel to want to share the costs/profits and it still turns into a win for Sony. 

But whatever, money rules above all and here's another great example of how the want for more (on BOTH sides) just f's everything up.

-b.

I will say that Spiderman is not my most favored, so it's not hitting as hard as say, Captain Marvel. But still, after having such success with the Marvel movies, it's kind of sad that there first real cox-up is from the board room... Greedy bastages.

So logistically speaking, how will this work? Will future Spidey movies even be able to mention characters or events from previous MCU movies? Will future Sony movies go off of MCU continuity? Did the snap happen in these movies? Can Peter mention Tony or Iron Man? This all sounds pretty stupid, and I have virtually zero faith in Sony and live action Spidey content. I'll be sticking to Spiderverse sequels myself, I'll be done with live action Spidey from here on. 

I’m going to say Disney’s offer should have been a bit more tempered. At the same time, Sony not budging doesn’t seem far fetched. Under the current agreement, Marvel gets %5 of first dollar gross and all revenue from merchandise. Marvel then wants to change it to a 50/50 split; cover half of the costs, but get 50% revenue back. That’s quite a jump for 1 character. 

Really have to imagine that with all the money at stake that Sony and Disney can't work it out.

And while I don't necessarily agree with the talk of MCU fatigue a la Westerns, I can see audiences getting tired of sitting thru another "new" iteration of Spider-Man that's different, but the same, but different from the last 3 iterations (Toby, Andrew, Marvel Tom and then Sony Tom). 

-b.

I was looking around reading various different takes on this mess and then it occurred to me, after reading Mog's thoughts. How could this (Doomcock's thoughts on the SEC looking for a meal) come into play on the nixed Sony/Disney Spider deal?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-whistleblower-told-sec-the-company-inflated-revenue-for-years-2019-08-19

For those that don't feel like watching the video or reading the Market Watch article, an fired ex-employee states that employees over-inflated revenue from their parks in a variety of ways including counting gift cards sold at less than face value and then again once those gift cards were used.

Nothing in the article mentions or touches on Marvel, Star Wars or Disney movies at all.

-b.

I don't get this whole Disney/Sony feud.

If I was Disney, I would just walk up to Sony and ask them straight-up "What will it cost to buy Spiderman back from you outright? No profit-sharing, no cross-licensing, just return the movie rights to Marvel. We will pay any number you write down. We're Disney, we can afford it."

The alternative, it seems to me, is Disney swinging in to buy Sony Pictures in a few years, JUST to get the spider-rights.