ShinerTheBock

Brick n Mortar stores in US? Texas? Austin?

Just wondering if anyone has a favorite US-based brick and mortar store they frequent that carries cool import Macross toys and such?  I'm in Austin, TX and definitely don't know of any.  Lots of places carry those Bandai Gundam kits, but nothing Macross.  I almost got excited when I saw a Toynami Robotech 1/100 "micronian" valk (sorry, veritech) at Think Geek, but quickly lost my enthusiasm when I inspected it closely - NO comparison to the Bandai HMRs.  Anyway, even though I'm in Austin I'd love to hear about any cool places in the US you might recommend.  Bonus points if it's in Texas.  :)

Anyway, I ask because there was a great comic book store in the Dallas/Fort Worth area back in the 80s that some of you might remember called "Fantastic Worlds", if I'm not mistaken, that tended to carry some chunky monkeys, among other things.  My mom bought me a VF-1S Strike Valk from there for Christmas one year, and I'll tell you to this day it's one of the best Christmas gifts I've ever received.  Such a great memory.  That place disappeared a long time ago so I've always hoped I could find another great local store that carried great imports.  Would love to hear any similar stories any of you folks might have.

You're unlikely to find many Macross items at physical stores in the US given the ongoing trademark/copyright dispute between HG/Tatsunoko/Big West. Robotech-branded items, probably, but stores definitely won't have a big/steady supply of Macross merch.

It's a sucky situation all around.

Move to California. A bunch of the folks here are from there, and they do in-person trades/sales/etc. all the time. That's kind of like a brick and mortar store. :D

Ah yes, the trademark dispute, I forgot about that in terms of merchandising/imports.  Well hey, next time I'm in California I'll hit you guys up and see if there are any meet-ups planned!

Dallas vintage toys will sometimes have macross in stock, they just don't put those items on their website, check out their Facebook page on Saturday mornings for their store walkthrough you will see the occasional Yamato V1 or Hi-metal toward the end

10 hours ago, Sluff said:

Dallas vintage toys will sometimes have macross in stock, they just don't put those items on their website, check out their Facebook page on Saturday mornings for their store walkthrough you will see the occasional Yamato V1 or Hi-metal toward the end

Wow, nice!  Looks like a great place; I'll definitely check it out next time I'm in the DFW area.  Thanks for the heads-up!