Disney's DUMBO - March 2019

no3Ljm

From Disney and visionary director Tim Burton, the all-new grand live-action adventure “Dumbo” expands on the beloved classic story where differences are celebrated, family is cherished and dreams take flight. Circus owner Max Medici (Danny DeVito) enlists former star Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell) and his children Milly (Nico Parker) and Joe (Finley Hobbins) to care for a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughingstock in an already struggling circus. But when they discover that Dumbo can fly, the circus makes an incredible comeback, attracting persuasive entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere (Michael Keaton), who recruits the peculiar pachyderm for his newest, larger-than-life entertainment venture, Dreamland. Dumbo soars to new heights alongside a charming and spectacular aerial artist, Colette Marchant (Eva Green), until Holt learns that beneath its shiny veneer, Dreamland is full of dark secrets.

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Wake me when Disney gives the CGI treatment to Song of the South ;)

Dumbo has its own problem in that regard - I expect the crows are either gone or quite different in this version.  The other thing I thought of after a bit is that Dumbo is a very short movie at just over an hour so not only will there almost certainly be changes the movie is going to have to be lengthened to at least 90 minutes to be acceptable today.

17 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

Dumbo has its own problem in that regard - I expect the crows are either gone or quite different in this version.  The other thing I thought of after a bit is that Dumbo is a very short movie at just over an hour so not only will there almost certainly be changes the movie is going to have to be lengthened to at least 90 minutes to be acceptable today.

plus we are forgetting the biggest problem.....it is being directed by Tim Burton.....he will surely insert some weirdness into this.......probably creepy circus clowns and disturbing sideshow freaks! :wacko:

What I really want from him and Disney is NBX2!:search:

Oh yeah baby, let's just live action every cartoon we've ever made.  Look, what's even better is that we have tons of new animation content, (thank you Pixar) that can be turned into live action thirty years down the road to remind the current generation of kids about their youth.

You know it's true, somewhere in the bowels of Burbank, in a smoke filled room, Sideshow Bob held court, and between him and his minions, they came up with this idea of the content gravy train that is aimed to hook one generation, and then  the next for life.  And to ensure their dominance, they'll keep adding content, just wait, one day, even the Minions will belong to Bob.

Sideshow Bob loves the idea, so much so that he is going to freeze himself  (ala Walt) and wake up in a hundred years to see the results of his Disney empire.

Comment: no, I'm not cynical, just being realistic.  :rolleyes:

Edited by kalvasflam

How well do their live-action movies do, both critically and commercially? I remember there was in recent years...

Maleficent
Jungle Book
Beauty and the Beast
...Cinderella, I wanna say?

The only one I know generated any amount of buzz and/or good reviews was Maleficent because of the overt sexual violence themes in it, and it's also the only one I remember making any significant bank.

Edited by kajnrig

37 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

How well do their live-action movies do, both critically and commercially? I remember there was in recent years...

Maleficent
Jungle Book
Beauty and the Beast

The only one I know generated any amount of buzz and/or good reviews was Maleficent because of the overt sexual violence themes in it, and it's also the only one I remember making any significant bank.

I thought they all did pretty well.  This is probably why those live actions keep rolling out.  I wonder though if Disney can do better by using new names and second string actors in some of those.  I mean you can make a good argument that Disney is a star maker, so Sideshow bob can pay less up front and make bank in return the actors/actresses can boost their stars in Hollywood.

1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

hf3EuIp.gif

I prefer "the moon faced assassin of joy"  Thank you.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

plus we are forgetting the biggest problem.....it is being directed by Tim Burton.....he will surely insert some weirdness into this.......probably creepy circus clowns and disturbing sideshow freaks! :wacko:

What I really want from him and Disney is NBX2!:search:

Honestly, the original Dumbo was freaky enough already.  Anyone remember the Pink Elephant sequence? :ph34r:

I'm half convinced Burton signed on just for the opportunity to do a modern take on that scene.

Edited by Chronocidal

9 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Maleficent
Jungle Book
Beauty and the Beast

I believe The Jungle Book did pretty well.

17 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast was a massive hit in 1991, becoming their highest-grossing film and eventually making over $425 million worldwide.

Their live-action remake made THREE TIMES more money -- more than any Transformers or Batman or Iron Man movie, even -- and became the tenth-highest grossing film of all time!

It was that success (both critically and commercially) that's continuing to feed this trend.

33 minutes ago, tekering said:

Disney's animated Beauty and the Beast was a massive hit in 1991, becoming their highest-grossing film and eventually making over $425 million worldwide.

Their live-action remake made THREE TIMES more money -- more than any Transformers or Batman or Iron Man movie, even -- and became the tenth-highest grossing film of all time!

It was that success (both critically and commercially) that's continuing to feed this trend.

8 hours ago, Mommar said:

I believe The Jungle Book did pretty well.

Wow, I didn't realize they did so well. I was never interested in seeing them, so never paid more than cursory attention. That puts things into perspective.

Honestly, I'm pretty down on Disney's re-animations* as a general rule. I view them as a waste of time, that can only tarnish the reputation of the originals.

But I'm making an exception here. Dumbo wasn't a work of passion honed to perfection. It was designed from the start to be cheap to produce and commercially attractive, thereby maximizing profitability at a time when the company was in bad shape financially.

In short, Dumbo was a cynical cash grab. So it is hard to be mad that, most of a century later, another cynical cash grab is being made.

I'll be sad to see the crows go, though I'm pretty sure they won't fly in the current era(no pun intended). They were the best part of the movie.

*Let's be honest here, they aren't live-action movies. When your animated effects cover more of the screen for more of the runtime than your live-action footage, it ceases to be a live-action movie with animated effects and becomes an animated movie with live-action effects.

Just realized Dumbo isn't Tim Burton's first remake, nor his second! Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was good but Planet of The Apes was his worst film IMHO. I'm hoping this new Dumbo really brings out the 'awwww factor' that I loved about the original.

That being said I hope Tim Burton and Michael Keaton go right to work on Beetlejuice 2 soon!!

40 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Just realized Dumbo isn't Tim Burton's first remake, nor his second! Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was good but Planet of The Apes was his worst film IMHO.

Dude, Dumbo isn't even Tim Burton's first Disney remake.  Remember Alice in Wonderland?  He directed the remake and the sequel.  Or Frankenweenie?  He remade his own short film!

Frankly, I think his best remake was Dark Shadows.  B))

12 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Just realized Dumbo isn't Tim Burton's first remake, nor his second! Charlie and The Chocolate Factory was good but Planet of The Apes was his worst film IMHO. I'm hoping this new Dumbo really brings out the 'awwww factor' that I loved about the original.

That being said I hope Tim Burton and Michael Keaton go right to work on Beetlejuice 2 soon!!

In fairness to Burton, he was brought in fairly late on Planet of the Apes. To my understanding he wasn't happy with it either.

On 6/15/2018 at 5:50 AM, JB0 said:

Honestly, I'm pretty down on Disney's re-animations* as a general rule. I view them as a waste of time, that can only tarnish the reputation of the originals.

But so far all of them have been very good, enjoyable films that built positively on the original films.

as for Burton's Apes remake, it was god awful but I'd still watch it over any of the Apes films made after it.

5 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

as for Burton's Apes remake, it was god awful but I'd still watch it over any of the Apes films made after it.

Like Dumbo, you are brave to question conventional wisdom.  It takes great courage to fly in the face of common sense.

8 hours ago, anime52k8 said:

But so far all of them have been very good, enjoyable films that built positively on the original films.

They are, at best, refining some already finely-polished gems. Lion King and Beauty and the Beast didn't NEED remakes.

The effort they expended for a slight improvement could've been spent on making a new movie that could stand alongside them. That they chose instead to do a remake of an already-good film smacks of creative bankruptcy.

(I also admit to having had an inherent bias when they launched in on remakeapalooza, since it reminds me of that time in the 90s when they did a lot of dismal low-budget direct-to-video sequels... which was also an era of blatant creative bankruptcy)

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Speaking of, the last original live action film they did, Enchanted, I ended up really liking after a while (and many rewatches because that was the kids' newest favorite thing...).

Only took one watch for me to love it, the cockroaches coming out of the bathtube drain to clean it is priceless.

• 4 months later...