AT&T Buys Time Warner

10 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

I don't like Disney^^

I see that your location is Brazil, so maybe you're not familiar with Comcast.  Here in the States the big telecoms, in collusion with the federal and state governments, have largely divided the country into territories where they operate with little to no competition.  As a result the telecoms have been able to charge whatever they want for poor products and poor customer service while pulling in obscene profits.

Comcast is one of the biggest (largest cable TV provider, largest internet service provider, and third-largest telephone service provider in the States).  They're already dipping their fingers into other pies, as they own Universal Pictures Studios and a few television networks including NBC, USA, and E!.  They've already struck an MVNO deal with Verizon (the #1 cell service provider), and they're reportedly in some kind of talks with Sprint, too.  Heck, they even have a controlling share of the Philidelphia Flyers, an NHL hockey team.

If all that sounds bad, it is.  Comcast has twice been named the worst company in the US by Consumerist, twice listed as having the worst customer satisfaction by the American Customer Satisfaction Index, and at least once given an F by the Corporate Library for their corporate governance.  They spend insane amounts on lobbying and have given jobs to the relatives of various government officials to try to get preferential treatment.  They've been caught illegally deceiving customers about data caps and other things to get more money out of customers, and have been fined by the Federal Communications Commission for it (although the fine, a mere $2.3 million, is really just a slap on the wrist).

And as terrible as they are, like I said they've worked out deals so they basically have no competition in their territories.  Where I live if you want internet you can get dial up, you can get pretty slow DSL, you can pay obscene rates for cellular data (usually with a data cap), or you can get Comcast cable.  There's no other cable and no FIOS options.  For years my internet speed was around 15Mbps; it only went up because the government made a rule that you had to be at least 25Mbps to be considered broadband.  Television?  Again, Comcast is the only cable provider, and there's no FIOS here.  The only alternatives are two satellite TV providers.  So, even though their reputation isn't exaggerated and they're truly a horrible company, I'm stuck being their customer because there just isn't anyone else to go to.

So please, believe me when I tell you that no matter how much you don't like Disney one thing guaranteed to be worse than Disney getting Fox is Comcast getting Fox.

• 4 weeks later...