Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

I just woke up a bit ago to check my email and saw this.... absolute total @$^#$& shock. I'll for sure miss him, been watching his shows since day one and have his books. His personality, take on different parts of world, culture & food really opened my eyes to what a unique planet we live on. 

RIP Anthony Bourdain, we'll miss you. 

Anthony left behind a young daughter too. I just don't understand suicide, especially for successful people. Is life that hard, was it the pressure, or is it the spread of nihilism?

My grandfather committed suicide not  long after I was born. Took a lot of pills when he did it but he was also a miserable person from what my relatives told me.

Edited by TangledThorns

7 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I just don't understand suicide, especially for successful people. Is life that hard, was it the pressure, or is it the spread of nihilism?

Just now, Roy Focker said:

Extreme depression and suicidal thoughts don't make sense.

Basically this. You can't escape your own mind.

I don't even know the guy... but i can relate. He's fine now, in the here after. It's the people still here that have to 'deal with this'...

Wow such sad news :(. I read Kitchen Confidential in college when I had to start cooking for myself, great book, the guy was a very talented author as well. I loved his shows too, especially the later series where he wasn't quite as tethered by the networks and he really got to let loose. Incredible personality and he will be missed.

Having watched his shows sporadically over the years, it seemed to me that Anthony was living the dream: traveling the world and enjoying the cuisine each region offered. Being a chef, his was a unique insight. Moreover, he had a very grounded personality, wise by experience, yet he wasn't a jaded curmudgeon. So, to read suicide as the end of a life so full of experience and success and positives to share, especially through the two very enjoyable mediums of food and travel, I can only shake my head and wonder why. I'm sure I'm in good company. Whatever he was struggling with internally, his loss is one that affects many, myself included if only just on the periphery. My heart goes out to his family and close friends, and I hope Mr. Bourdain has found the peace he sought. 

This one hit hard. Bourdain was pretty much the only thing I watched on "live" TV anymore and it's sad and painful to see him go like that. To me he had the greatest travel and food show on TV and I'm going to struggle to even see who can top him on this. The show was much more than just food and travel. He brought us to the tables of incredibly lively and beautiful people from across the globe and gave us such a unique perspective on their cultures disarming any differences and just getting down to actually talking to them as human beings. Gonna miss the hell outta him being gone now that there is an empty hole where he occupied a little of my time every week. I don't know if there is anything out there after you die. I just know that he is part of the stardust and I can at least still enjoy what he showed and brought us here. I hope he found whatever he was looking for.

• azrael locked this topic