"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" I chortled in my joy. 

I'm hoping this is a continuing trend, then. I've not seen the film, yet, and TBH really wasn't planning to, as it still borrows from the Bayverse look, especially Bee's face :bad:; however, with all these positive, affirmative reviews, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing it now. I guess all it took to make a good live action TF film was a director who actually knows and cares about Transformers. Go figure. Only took them a decade of craptastic films to figure it out, but I'm glad there appears to be a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

I hope the G1ish makeover continues, as it flies in the face of Bay's early opinion that it doesn't work for live action. Travis Knight's film proves it does. 

Kinda curious if triple changing versions of Shatter and Dropkick are coming- I'd love a Shatter that at least turns into a fairly accurate Harrier. Actually, they could just do a version of her like Dropkick with just a Harrier alt, and I'd be purty happy.

58 minutes ago, Old_Nash said:

Nenhum texto alternativo automático disponível.

Thank jeebus; those movies were SO bad. Like a trash fire mixed with a larger smellier trash fire. 

Dont know if I’ll see it in the movies but am definitely curious about bumblebee. 

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

This guy GETS it.  I need to go see this. 

I think so too, and moreso with every interview they do with him. The obvious question in my mind for the past decade is why didn't they initially hire a director with this kind of connection to Transformers at the outset instead of Bay, who had no connection, and indeed, perhaps a bit of disdain, for it. So, whether or not I end up liking Bumblebee, I can safely say I at least like the direction Travis is taking, and hopefully he'll have the opportunity and freedom to inject more of what he enjoys about Transformers from a fan perspective.

5 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

why didn't they initially hire a director with this kind of connection to Transformers at the outset instead of Bay, who had no connection, and indeed, perhaps a bit of disdain, for it.

That was Steven Spielberg's decision.  Spielberg also had no connection to the mythology, but knew that Bay could make it into a hugely successful franchise.

To his credit, he was obviously correct.

5 hours ago, tekering said:

That was Steven Spielberg's decision.  Spielberg also had no connection to the mythology, but knew that Bay could make it into a hugely successful franchise.

To his credit, he was obviously correct.

Sadly. I have not enjoyed a Transformers movie since the first one Bay made, and that was mostly fueled by nostalgia and has certainly waned over the years. I haven't seen another in the theaters since. Age of Extinction I waited to see on TV and was glad I wasted no money on it other than a TV subscription, and the last one he made I'm not even going to waste any time on at all. For some reason, Bay seems to think that explosions are plot points.

But, Bumblebee is looking pretty good. I'm liking the return of the G1 looks and I'm really hoping this is a soft reboot and it lives up to the hype.

Just came back from taking my daughter and my dad to see it.  I'm glad I brought my dad, because my dear daughter, who was perfectly fine whenever the Cybertron scenes were on, decided during the human talky parts that it's "too scary," so my dad took her out to the lobby while I watched the last hour alone.

And... it's good!  Not my favorite movie this year, and definitely leaning into kids movie territory, but far superior to any of the Bay films with a relatively focused plot and a decent human cast.  My biggest complaint is that the Cybertron scenes are only a brief part of the movie.

I just saw it today. It was alright, but not something I'd be eager to see again in the theatre.

It reminded me of a combination of Transformers (2007) and E.T., but not as good as either. Earth-Girl finds and adopts a giant mechanical space-puppy which doubles as bodyguard and improvised boyfriend. The Cybertron sequences were, as you could expect, the highlight of the movie.

26 minutes ago, Dobber said:

So is this a reboot or not?  At the top of the page it’s stated it is but that interview with the director seemed to indicate it is not.

Chris

It is, because

Spoiler

In the Bayverse, Bumblebee was on Earth during WWII, whereas in this film, he arrives for the first time in '87. During the Cybertron sequence (whereby Cybertron falls to the 'Cons), Prime tells Bee of a suitable planet he's discovered called Earth, which it is hoped can serve as a base of operations. Also, at the end of the movie, you see that Prime has arrived on Earth and is rolling on the Golden Gate bridge with Bee in 1987. This would contradict the events of the  2007 movie whereby Prime, Ratchet, Jazz and Ironhide arrive in 2007. That being said, we do see an eighties Sector 7, as well as a young Agent Simmons, so they're conserving some elements of the Bayverse characters and plotlines.

3 minutes ago, peter said:

I hated every single Michael Bay Tranaformers ever made....and I didn't even watch the last 2 or 3.

I really liked this movie.

I am the same with the Bay movies....that’s a good endorsement for me for this movie. :D

Chris

On 12/22/2018 at 12:56 AM, captain america said:

I just saw it today. It was alright, but not something I'd be eager to see again in the theatre.

It reminded me of a combination of Transformers (2007) and E.T., but not as good as either. Earth-Girl finds and adopts a giant mechanical space-puppy which doubles as bodyguard and improvised boyfriend. The Cybertron sequences were, as you could expect, the highlight of the movie.

I also thought of it, TF meets E.T. overall it was a good movie. Prime was awesome, Soundwave too. 

Loved it! The designs were finally something not just a shade of Transformers, but they were actually Transformers! The action scenes were great, esp since we could actually see them fighting! I loved the interactions between Bumblebee and Charlie and it actually felt like the Transformers were not just set pieces for the humans. They were integral parts of the story.

Also loved the departures from the Bay movies. Gives me hope that they will be going forward with their own arc and not holding to Bay's crap.

Spoiler

At the end, when Bee changed into a Camaro I was actually disheartened - until he was cruising along the bridge right next to G1 Optimus! Gawed that was great. He looked beautiful! I just wish we saw him transform from the original truck before that final scene with Bee, where he pointedly chose to keep the name Bumblebee.

For me, the only true Transformers movies now is the original animated movie - and this one.

24 minutes ago, Thom said:

Loved it! The designs were finally something not just a shade of Transformers, but they were actually Transformers! The action scenes were great, esp since we could actually see them fighting! I loved the interactions between Bumblebee and Charlie and it actually felt like the Transformers were not just set pieces for the humans. They were integral parts of the story.

Also loved the departures from the Bay movies. Gives me hope that they will be going forward with their own arc and not holding to Bay's crap.

Hide contents

At the end, when Bee changed into a Camaro I was actually disheartened - until he was cruising along the bridge right next to G1 Optimus! Gawed that was great. He looked beautiful! I just wish we saw him transform from the original truck before that final scene with Bee, where he pointedly chose to keep the name Bumblebee.

For me, the only true Transformers movies now is the original animated movie - and this one.

Well said Thom. Funny you pointed out that change at the end. I felt the exact same way.

i laughed pretty hard at John Cena saying something like “ Are we seriously going to trust these things? There names are literally Decepticons” or something to that effect. But yeah everytime they did something to tie the movie back to the Bay movies I felt disheartened too....especial the Camaro change

Chris

5 hours ago, Dobber said:

Well said Thom. Funny you pointed out that change at the end. I felt the exact same way.

Hide contents

i laughed pretty hard at John Cena saying something like “ Are we seriously going to trust these things? There names are literally Decepticons” or something to that effect. But yeah everytime they did something to tie the movie back to the Bay movies I felt disheartened too....especial the Camaro change

Chris

I'm really hoping they keep diverging, though having just watched the clip above and Travis Knight reiterating that it is set before the previous attempts, I am confused...

But then I think about that scene at the cliff, where Bee suddenly starts to play 'You've got the touch...' from the animated movie and I'm grinning!

Edited by Thom

Apparently this movie is not doing well at the box office, even though it was definitely worth watching on the big screen.

Hope it picks up, want more sequels based on this film.

You know what would’ve been an interesting choice. If they would’ve made Blitzwing a MiG-25 like his toy. That would’ve played up Cena’s characters mistrust of the transformers since it would’ve been a Soviet plane attacking them instead of an F-4.

still pissed that that one tv spot spoiled that outcome. I haven’t seen that spot again either. I wonder if it was pulled.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

54 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

Because they released BB, SpiderMan, and Aquaman, all simultaneously.  Pretty much the same audience.  BB's "early" release a few weeks ago should have been its main release.  

I'd've thought Aquaman was doing bad because A. Aquaman's popular perception is "the joke character whose superpower is swimming" and B. DC has a track record of making absolutely awful movies at this point.

Honestly, I thought the film was great. storyline was a tad weak as it needed more bots, but I was thrilled to see all the classics we could be given in such a brief amount of time. I would actually watch this again if I had the time.