-_- This is all disappointing to hear, since the first one was pretty damned good...

I'm totally outside the curve then, cause I loved it! I liked it even better than the first WW, which is saying something, since I saw it eight times in the theater, cough cough...

But I liked it from beginning to end. Sure there were some out there parts, but considering this is a story about a demi-goddess super-heroine who lassos lightning bolts, I didn't let it bother me. :p The story was good, it had a good length in which to give the MC enough time to shine while also giving the secondary characters room to be more than thin, cardboard cut-outs, because c'mon, if the secondary characters are paper thin then that's more of a problem than a biplane jock flying a jet halfway around the world.

And I loved her flight scenes! Damn those were done so freaking well, especially when viewed as a catharsis for her rescinding her wish. That that and the soundtrack is just awesome! Zimmer knocks another one outa the park.

I paid $14 for the first month of HBO Max, and I'll be watching it again before I cancel it before the month is out. Now, bring on WW3!!:D

1 hour ago, Thom said:

I'm totally outside the curve then, cause I loved it! I liked it even better than the first WW, which is saying something, since I saw it eight times in the theater, cough cough...

But I liked it from beginning to end. Sure there were some out there parts, but considering this is a story about a demi-goddess super-heroine who lassos lightning bolts, I didn't let it bother me. :p The story was good, it had a good length in which to give the MC enough time to shine while also giving the secondary characters room to be more than thin, cardboard cut-outs, because c'mon, if the secondary characters are paper thin then that's more of a problem than a biplane jock flying a jet halfway around the world.

And I loved her flight scenes! Damn those were done so freaking well, especially when viewed as a catharsis for her rescinding her wish. That that and the soundtrack is just awesome! Zimmer knocks another one outa the park.

I paid $14 for the first month of HBO Max, and I'll be watching it again before I cancel it before the month is out. Now, bring on WW3!!:D

Truly happy you liked it, as I'm sure there are others as well.

For me I had high expectations which were not tempered, so the disappointment with the plot was higher than had I thought of this as yet another DCEU movie. 

I didn't have any particular issues with the CGI, or the acting which I thought was very good, IMO the plot/story was a mess.

-b.

3 hours ago, Thom said:

Sure there were some out there parts, but considering this is a story about a demi-goddess super-heroine who lassos lightning bolts, I didn't let it bother me.

See, that's not what bothered me, and if there was more of that maybe I would have liked it better.  My problem is that the hour or so between when she was in the mall as Wonder Woman and the highway scene as Wonder Woman was a lot of Diana being boring.

Well, that and the fact that I don't buy Kristen Wiig in serious roles, the final fight between Cheetah and Wonder Woman was a mess of bad CGI and jump shots, they were more interested in making Donald Trump Max Lord the villain than Cheetah, and that comic book Max Lord is a much more interesting character than he was written for the film.

It's a shame, because I do really like Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, and Pedro Pascal as actors, but maybe Patty Jenkins isn't all that Hollywood is marketing her as (although to be fair Geoff Johns and David Callaham are also credited as screenwriters for WW84).

I’m not a fan of the dc movies, but I don’t get the hatred for this one. It has a goofy ending but other than that it’s not a bad movie. Definitely far from perfect, but not bad. I still think Man of steel is the worst of the dc movies followed by BvS then justice league. So it’s not even in my bottom 5 because it’s also better than suicide squad and the Harley Quinn movie. Then again I did go in with really low expectations. And maybe that’s the best way to enjoy the dc franchise 

• 1 month later...

Watched Aquaman on HBOMax this week and it was way better than WW84 and made me realize again how awful WW84 was. Sequels are typically better than the first film but WW84 proved the opposite in a lame fashion.

And we still have Patty Jenkins crap Star Wars film to look forward to, ugh. Disney fired the wrong woman this week.

Edited by TangledThorns

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

ESB was the exception ;)

It's sad that WW is the best DC can do these days..

Terminator 2? The Dark Knight? Spider-man 2 (the Raimi one)? Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan? Star Trek: First Contact? Hot Tub Time Machine 2?

...ok, maybe not that last one.

I'd probably drop out Spider-Man 2 (too much sequel-itis:  bigger action sets, bigger dangers for the hero, bigger everything.  Plus, I personally think the first Raimi Spider-Man had a better story than the second one) and replace it with X2.

• Crazy good intro with Nightcrawler utilizing his powers to the absolute fullest.
  • Wolverine fully, violently cutting loose in the mansion.
  • All the little "burning bird" references making you think "They're not teasing the Phoenix are they?!"
  • A story far better than the first movie's.

You could probably also throw in Captain America:  The Winter Soldier too.  But the MCU films are a little trickier to judge.

6 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Terminator 2? The Dark Knight? Spider-man 2 (the Raimi one)? Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan? Star Trek: First Contact? Hot Tub Time Machine 2?

...ok, maybe not that last one.

Godfather pt. 2

Aliens

Austin Powers sequel

Road Warrior

Lethal Weapon 2

Back to the Future Part II

Blade Runner 2049 <- fight me on this if you dare

TRON: Legacy <- debatable

I can go but it just seems hard to screw up a sequel like WW84 when they had as much time and talent available to them. Maybe it just lacked effort?

3 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I can go but it just seems hard to screw up a sequel like WW84 when they had as much time and talent available to them. Maybe it just lacked effort?

I think the issue was Patty Jenkins had a heavy hand in the story and screenplay this time around.  She should probably stick to directing this kind of story.

4 hours ago, Mog said:

I'd probably drop out Spider-Man 2 (too much sequel-itis:  bigger action sets, bigger dangers for the hero, bigger everything.  Plus, I personally think the first Raimi Spider-Man had a better story than the second one) and replace it with X2

This

6 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Those are the notable exceptions to sequels being worst than the original film.

Add The Godfather 2 and Toy Story 2 to that list

9 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

I think the issue was Patty Jenkins had a heavy hand in the story and screenplay this time around.  She should probably stick to directing this kind of story.

:shok:

how dare you....  next thing you are going to tell us is that she belongs in the kitchen...

:p

I guess the jury is really out on if she is any good, or a one shot wonder like Peter Jackson, or may be just a bad movie like the dude who directed TLJ... can’t remember his name.  But I heard the movie after that was decent.

give her a chance to see what Rogue squadron is like.

11 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Godfather pt. 2

Aliens

Austin Powers sequel

Road Warrior

Lethal Weapon 2

Back to the Future Part II

Blade Runner 2049 <- fight me on this if you dare

TRON: Legacy <- debatable

10 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

This

Those are the notable exceptions to sequels being worst than the original film.

Add The Godfather 2 and Toy Story 2 to that list

You guys are making my point for me. Sequels aren't always worse, ESB isn't the rate exception.

Anything after Predator was meh to terrible. Pacific Rim: Uprising. Speed 2. Die Hard 2. Blues Brothers 2000. Ghostbusters 2 (not terrible, but definitely not better than the original). Escape from L.A. etc., etc., etcl.

On topic, kinda, Batman v. Superman was god awful, especially when compared against the mostly watchable Man of Steel.

Regarding Patty Jenkins, I have no issue with seeing what she can do with Rogue Squadron, it's not like some of our (or your) favorite directors haven't made a stinker or two in their time.

WW84 suffered from a lot of sequels suffer from - MORE. MORE THIS AND MORE THAT. It was just a bloated mess. There was probably a good movie in there somewhere but it got lost in the spectacle. 

-b.

I'm hoping to see how it goes. Best to have an open mind;)

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

You guys are making my point for me. Sequels aren't always worse, ESB isn't the rate exception.

I was speaking about SW , bruv. As that was the example given before my post:p

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I'm hoping to see how it goes. Best to have an open mind;)

I was speaking about SW , bruv. As that was the example given before my post:p

Fair enough.  But... I'd say Attack of the Clones was better than the Phantom Menance.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Fair enough.  But... I'd say Attack of the Clones was better than the Phantom Menance.

Oh. . . no, no, no!

Phantom Menace is definitely pretty crappy.  Jar Jar is annoying as hell, and Anakin's whole final space battle is almost a mirror of Luke's trench run.

But TPM has Duel of the Fates.  And if you've seen the explanation from Dave Filoni, he really explained why the events in TPM are so key.  I still think TPM isn't good and am a disciple of Machete Order (IV, V, II, III, and VI.  Leave out I), but I understand and appreciate what TPM was trying to accomplish.

On the other hand, AOTC failed on a TON of fronts.

• Totally failed on the romance plot, especially Padme's motivation for liking Anakin.
  • Too much saying stuff instead of SHOWING it or demonstrating it through the characters' on-screen actions (Anakin didn't seem all that great of a Jedi, very few scenes of Ani and Obi having a father-son or brotherly relationship).
  • Non-exsistant banter or crappy banter between the characters.
  • "I hate sand."
  • CGI battle-fast that makes minimal sense when you really analyze it (Okay, save Jedi's.  Then what?  Go after Dooku?  Then why send only two Jedi after him, especially the two Jedi that were probably the most taxed out of everyone?).
  • Padme's fall off the ship, then merrily jaunt during the final battle.

The bones of a good movie are there for AOTC, but it failed on way too many fronts and emphasized the wrong things.

Yeah, I've never really understood what about AotC makes people put it above TPM. But then I was a kid when E1 came out and already falling out of love with the franchise when E2 did, so it's obvious where MY bias comes from. Still, though... there's just nothing in AotC on the same level as Darth Maul and Duel of the Fates. The CGI for both is about on par, or rather, it's definitely better in E2, but it's definitely less jarring in E1. The whole "green-screen EEEEEVERYTHING" idea did not do either E2 or E3 any favors. The acting is about on par, and the story is about on par, and the storytelling is about on par...

Bah. That's beating the deadest horse ever. Anyway.

I haven't seen this one yet, I don't know if I'll ever care enough to see it, but does it indicate any which way DC intend to go forward with their movies? I seem to recall there being talk of a Flash movie that resets everything so they can work with a blank slate again?