The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part

There were rumors that this movie would be a "space musical" but that could have been a mistranslation of "space opera".

I did just buy a house, so this would be perfect timing for a resurgence of Classic Space style sets that I won't be able to afford. 

Well, the rumor among the various LEGO blogs is that at least some of the movie is set in space, so that bodes well for all of us Classic Space geeks- I'm hoping we get more than just one obligatory set this time around.

On a tangent, I own a copy of Brickjournal magazine where they interviewed Mark Stafford, former AFOL turned Lead Designer at LEGO, concerning his involvement in designing the Space Police III sets. In that interview, he mentions building a variety of different designs, including some very Classic Spacey designs to present to their test kids to get their impressions. He said they really weren't that interested in the ships so much as the alien minifigs. Personally, I thought Space Police III was brilliant, one of the absolute best space themes they've done since the 80's and 90's. In so many ways, it was the updated 80's CS theme that many of us LEGO Space Geeks had been waiting for-it ended much too soon, IMHO. I hope The LEGO Movie 2 gives us more of that goodness.

• 2 weeks later...

I expected them to go with the Duplo angle hinted in the first film. Bringing Friends in Space (a theme I thought would have been explored by now in the main line sets, but sadly hasn't) is pretty cool- it's a nice juxtaposition making them the aggressors with all their hearts and flowers and cutesy pet stuff. Even more excited to see it now. And for the sets. On a side note, between the next wave of Ninjago sets and the LM2, Post-apoc fans are going to get a nice spate of sets this year and next.

As for me, bring on the space stuff- lots of it.:wub:

• 5 months later...

Multiple sets were revealed today. They include a CLASSIC SPACE BATTLE PACK with NEW CLASSIC HELMETS. I crap you not. The set is Benny's Space Team. 

Another set has a classic style space ship with the original transparent yellow windscreen. (Technically a slightly different mold but who cares).

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2018/11/20/nineteen-new-sets-revealed-from-the-lego-movie-2-news/

It's so incredibly meta, with "Rex Dangervest" basically being Chris Pratt, playing Chris Pratt's other characters...

Also---while more classic spacepeople of any color (assuming Jenny is a girl!) are always welcome---we REALLY could use black and/or red in that set instead of white.  White already had 1, if not 2 relatively recent re-releases, and that's not one of the "first wave original spaceman colors".   And we even saw a red one in the last movie. 

Plus---my kingdom for a "regular generic blue spaceman"----pristine logo, un-cracked helmet.  But I kind of figure they might never release a blue one again, to keep Benny "unique".  (or at least, not release a blue one anywhere near the release of a movie--only like 3-4 years before or after)  

But, rant aside---that's still "better than I'd hoped for"----multiple new space suits, in mostly classic colors, in a single, cheap set.   Only thing better, would be if there's a new SPACESHIP! still to be revealed, even bigger and better than the last one.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No excuses necessary- fortunately, societal views have changed a great deal about adults who buy or like 'kid' stuff. Twenty years ago, I was furtive about my LEGO purchases, as I have never had kids. Nowadays, I buy whatever I want without shame. It's not unusual to see me walking around Wally with an armload of LEGO, and maybe a Transformer or two.:D

I think the first LEGO Movie set a good precedent that appealed to all ages, and hopefully this second follows that formula. I plan to see it tomorrow with the wife. Looking forward to it.

I was cautiously optimistic going into LM2 yesterday; the first film had a great balance of humor, in-jokes, and yet at the core, told a touching story. Lord and Miller continue that formula, albeit with a different family dynamic at the core of its story, which ties into, and influences, the LEGO world's story. I thought it was done well, and I may have had a bit of dust in my eye at one point or another. This movie definitely featured music more prominently than the first, but the songs were relevant, and often humorous, if ironically so. Like the first, there's a lot to grab the kids' attention, but subtle things that adults will appreciate as well. As sequels go, this was a solid and fitting followup to the first, and while borrowing from the same formula, did enough things differently to keep it fresh. Everything is still awesome!

Not sure where they can go from here, though, if they want to do a third. Unless there was a scene at the very end of the credits (we didn't stay for it if there was), there was no setup for a sequel to the sequel, as it were. A movie about Bennie might be cool, if only for all the spacy tie-in sets we'd likely get:wub:, but I'm not sure Benny's an interesting enough character to build a movie around, unless they made him learn to care about something other than spaceships. Still, they've established a neat dynamic between Emmett and Lucy, and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of their adventures.