MΔ - VF-9

Xigfrid

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been in this thread for awhile, and that paint job Xigfrid looks great. I plan to do 2, so I'm doing the MtR version, then the original paint color scheme (the one Valhary is doing stickers for.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Your smoothing technic is amazing! Please share with us !!

i have also a great news: I have found a tumbler in my new job and I will test it day and night to smooth my prints as soon as the situation come back to normal :))

The real method to it is just time, and lots of coats of primer. I usually first sand, and don't wash the sanded part, as a lot of the dust ends up filling the porous material. right after that first sand, I primer, then let dry. Then I scribe in the panel lines again, and then sand using a lighter grit sandpaper. At that point, I use a dry lint free towel, and rub off whatever was taken off, then prime again. I follow this about 4 times, leaving a really uniformly smooth surface. After that, then I use the colored paint. then use the Mr Color (or Mr Hobby UV cut flat, once all the color is on, wait 24 hours, and then onto the next set of things to do. I'm working on the arms now, and because I didn't touch these parts yet, I'm starting from the very beginning. I wish I would've started on the basics a long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight I had a piece break, and I was so close to finishing. I was attaching the legs to the body, and the connector that attaches the two halves broke off. Yikes!!! It's going to take me a little longer, but during the time that I wait, I can at least work on some of the details I have been avoiding, Like the red pin striping, and some finishing coating on the finished parts. I have the arms just about done, so I'm just waiting on more red paint and thinner to get here. I will be printing the decals on dry rub paper, so I'll be experimenting with that.

5 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Looking good Jason!! 

Thanks. Im really out of supplies. I can't work on anything at this point until I get thinner, but its so close.

On 6/5/2020 at 8:35 PM, Jasonc said:

Thanks. Im really out of supplies. I can't work on anything at this point until I get thinner, but its so close.

I look forward to the completed kit. I was never really a fan of the VF-9 but once @Xigfrid brought this Valk to life I like it a lot now, Battroid mode has really grown on me! 

11 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

I am sorry for the breakage, your vf-9 looks so nice, I hope you will finish it soon :)

No worries. The last break was me just being a bit too strong with putting things together. I was able to get the arms and legs to close together, which required a bit of filing and sanding, but as I'm test fitting parts, I realize that when this thing is done, it's going to be quite solid. I really like how all these parts fit and lock together.

6 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I look forward to the completed kit. I was never really a fan of the VF-9 but once @Xigfrid brought this Valk to life I like it a lot now, Battroid mode has really grown on me! 

I'm a big fan of this valk. The only one I'd really, really want though, is the VA-3 Invader. @Xigfrid, care to take a stab at that one? I'd probably buy 3 of that one for all the variations.

• 1 month later...

Well, she is finally built. While not finished with detailing, there are some parts I need to adjust. I'm having the hardest time transforming it to battroid, and it might be the arm bar not connecting to the back of the cockpit,  but for the other 2 modes, it's quite solid.

20200709_095947.jpg.e359eadcceea23ebbd6d1cbda3933d7a.jpg

20200709_100004.jpg.475f985b6dc7220274bd517dc9b547a9.jpg

20200709_100023.jpg.e13006bf21be27c1f3378da9f57ea491.jpg

20200709_100046.jpg.02902f9c40e54d94f1865d25388644b2.jpg

20200709_100114.jpg.14595cd023e0adcd18398d57f48df6fc.jpg

20200709_100155.jpg.e17296b4843488114a955f3c8ef50c8c.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

• 5 months later...