MΔ - VF-9

Xigfrid

@Buddhais no, because I think they have very nice designers already and if they don’t make the figures I do, it means this is their business decisions. 

@kelsain and @Jasonc the fix have been uploaded already but I prefer to test the parts first. This is the reason why not all the parts are available in my shop. In particular the new wings that I couldn’t assemble yet. 

At the end of August, beginning of September I will confirm or not 

• 2 weeks later...

I received the new parts a few days ago but I could assemble them only tonight. 

I am very satisfied by the result. I want to enhance the battroid adapter but that’s pretty much all. I have been very busy and tired so I will upload everything shapeways next day. 

A few pictures to make your wait easier.

D1E3D996-C84C-4DE1-B8F5-C4799651D38D.jpeg

A24772FB-4F98-4C79-88EE-DBCEB0343D30.jpeg

AAD9879F-B2EF-461D-AF41-163EA9030E8C.jpeg

7B875FCE-EEA7-4A0E-883F-3CCFFCF65F1A.jpeg

0545407F-5FD9-44C8-89FD-F48D09C03E88.jpeg

Wow, looks great. I'll be getting it once it's all uploaded. By any chance, can you make the figures available in the hi-res clear? Since that doesn't require too much sanding and not to much handling, I'd like to get that piece in that finish. Just a request from me.

AUGUST UPDATE (added on page 1)

Link to download the 3D printed parts:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/xigfrid3dshop?section=VF-9&s=0

NB: The removable Wheels, Display stand adapters are optional. The Canopy can be printed in Smooth Detail Plastic and sanded to be so-so clear, it should be printed by a resin printer in clear resin and it will be clearer and stronger.

I recommend contacting EXO (member of this forum also known as Plastic Cretins, or PM me for his email) for US residents to print the clear Canopy for 5$, female pilot 2$, male pilot 2$ and battroid head 2$. For other countries you can try www.3dhubs.com. Here is the  STL 3D file of my VF-9 canopy.

@Jasonc When you print the FUD parts (link https://www.shapeways.com/product/KK2ZC7QCB/vf-9-high-detail-parts-with-pilot?optionId=66894145), you will obtain the cockpit interior, seat, battroid head and one pilot. Select the "Large" version to order the male pilot or the "Medium" version to obtain the female pilot.

You can also browse my 1/60 Misc section to order packs of 4 pilots (2 female, 2 male). Note that they fit the Arcadia VF-0. They don't fit the DX Bandai VF-31. You can use them for the Arcadia VF-1 but you will need to shorten the legs by 1 or 2 mm.

@DarkArchon3000, @Sanity is Optional I made them available in Professional plastic, depending on the size it will double the price unfortunately...
I don't know if all the parts would benefit to be printed in Professional plastic over White Processed versatile plastic though

Edited by Xigfrid

Thanks all fo the support :)

Additional info for the US residents, you can also order from EXO (aka Plastic Cretins on Facebook) in clear resin the VF-9 Clear Canopy for 5$, the male pilot 2$, the female pilot 2$ and the battroid head 2$. He also makes a lot of 3D models of his own, that I highly recommend.

I placed my order today.    I ended up going with the white plastic since the professional plastic isn't as detailed or smooth as the old Hi-def Acrylate but is just as expensive.    I still want to get another set for Gerwalk mode and have an M&M set but lets see how the sanding goes with this one first.

I also contacted EXO for the canopies.

Thanks again Xigfrid!

Nice work! Version 2 looks much tighter than before. You are serious pro level now.

Could you post an ebay link to all the screws and pins required to put this together?

Edited by arbit

@DarkArchon3000 I am sure you will not regret the standard plastic. To be honest, the professional plastic is more detailed and will save you 1 sanding/primer pass, so in the end the two accumulated makes the end result sharper.
BUT (always one) Pro plastic printing direction cannot be determined, in general Shapeways use the same print direction as Standard plastic when specified, but if for any weird reason Shapeways choose the wrong direction you may have very bad print lines compared to the standard plastic with optimum print direction. Sorry if I am too technical.

@arbit I wouldn't call me pro until I can earn a decent living from it ;p I still have hopes tough !

Last time I ordered the screws and pins from the same guy regan0331
PINS: M1 length from 4mm up to 12mm and M1.5x20 (
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-M1-5-M2-Bearing-steel-Parallel-Pins-Dowel-Pin-Cylindrical-Positioning-pin/172272460618?)
SCREWS: always choose "steel", any other material for the screws would end with broken screws bits in the plastic which are a pain to remove.
Flat head : M1.7 x 6mm, M1.7 x 8mm and M1.7 x 10mm (
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-M1-2-M1-4-M1-5-M1-7-304-Stainless-steel-Cross-Countersunk-Flat-Tapping-Screws/182023547921?)
Round head : M1.7 x 6mm, M1.7 x 8mm and M1.7 x 10mm (https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-6-M1-7-M2-Stainless-Steel-304-Phillips-Cross-Pan-Round-Head-Tapping-Screws/172205389532?)

I am not sure if I used the round head 8mm or 10mm, in the doubt you should buy all of them considering the price.

Edited by Xigfrid

Since I am at it, here is my absolute short list recommended tools:

-Modeling Sprue cutter: cut the sprues effortlessly in seconds
-Modelcraft knife equipped with a "rounded blade" (like this one) : best blade shape to remove the remaining plastic from sprues in 1 cut, instead of a lot of sanding and buffing
-Pin Vise with 1mm drill bit : just to make sure that the pre-drilled holes for the screws and pins are perfectly clean.
-strong, yet small screwdriver:sometimes I can use tiny places to insert the screws, so the screwdriver shaft should be 3-4mm diameter max (magnetized preferably!)
-flat plier to insert the pins
-6-steps nail buffer : I use this to gently remove the excess of material if some parts don't sit flush

Edited by Xigfrid

6 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Thanks @Jasonc! You should check the legs and arms 3D models too ;)

Was Kawamori a Star Wars fan? This VF-9 can transform in the Alliance logo!

2BBC0F4C-5D34-4C48-A336-712F4FA15D78.jpeg

I'll have to get it in pieces. So next check will complete it.

I don't have a lot of experience with the professional plastic, and ended up ordering everything with the standard stuff. I can work with it, but damn. I may have to reorder those parts. As long as I can still do my process with them, (sand, prime, sand, prime and rescribe lines). My real dilemma is, what color do I do? There's so many versions. MtR version? Max, Miliya, or the standard color that was first shown?

Exactly same question for my VF-9 ... I am planning at least 2, one would be fixed to fighter mode in Milia theme with a teenage Mirage on board as seen in Delta, the second, I am hesitating between a low viz (grey/dark grey/white) or the orange/white  training VF X-10

I admit.. I'm slightly tempted to build one and paint it up in the same NASA scheme as the X-29.  I'm not quite looking forward to figuring out how to prime and paint that material though, the few prints I've gotten from Shapeways have been really heavy on the preparation work.

One day we will be able to print perfect toys in color ! But yeah for now, this is a real pain to deal with the Standard plastic.

Thankfully, until now, a lot of my customs didn't need to be perfectly prepared, such as the Vajras or the Destroids. This one, will need a lot of sanding, just like the X-9