MΔ - VF-9

Xigfrid

Hi guys,

I have been busy last days (couple months... in fact) with a very challenging design from Macross Delta: the VF-9, aka Cutlass. This is a small fighter designed to support the VF-1 in mission. Guess what ? It is even shorter than a VF-1.

I tried my best to make a great looking transforming toy in all three modes for the 1:60 scale, printable in WSF (SLS nylon powder). So far, I am pretty confident that I will soon have something printable.

The battroid mode should have sufficient articulation to compare with an Arcadia VF-1, I just hope all the joints will be tight enough.

VF-9-Assembly-web-1.jpg.6f83bc70b79bdcf5d44a3f0deabb40b0.jpgAssembly Manual is now available here

SEPTEMBER 2108 UPDATE

Transformation video is ready at youtube:

https://youtu.be/DNtGSKQydVo

Link to the upcoming addons and upgrades for my VF-9:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/xigfrid3dshop?section=VF-9+addons&s=0

This section will contain the options and upgrades available for the VF-9 such as:
-optional landing gears
-display adpaters
-Nose fins (version 3)
-set of spare parts
-future Gunpod

AUGUST 2108 UPDATE

Link to download the 3D printed parts:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/xigfrid3dshop?section=VF-9&s=0

NB: The removable Wheels, Display stand adapters are optional. The Canopy can be printed in Smooth Detail Plastic and sanded to be so-so clear, it should be printed by a resin printer in clear resin and it will be clearer and stronger.

I recommend US residents to contact EXO, member of this forum also known as Plastic Cretins on Facebook, who can print in clear resin the following parts. You can PM me for his email too.
-clear Canopy for 5$
-female pilot 2$
-male pilot 2$
-battroid head 2$.
For other countries you can try www.3dhubs.com. And you will need the  STL 3D file of my VF-9 canopy.

My absolute short list recommended tools:

-Modeling Sprue cutter: cut the sprues effortlessly in seconds
-Modelcraft knife equipped with a "rounded blade" (like this one) : best blade shape to remove the remaining plastic from sprues in 1 cut, instead of a lot of sanding and buffing
-Pin Vise with 1mm drill bit : just to make sure that the pre-drilled holes for the screws and pins are perfectly clean.
-strong, yet small screwdriver:sometimes I can use tiny places to insert the screws, so the screwdriver shaft should be 3-4mm diameter max (magnetized preferably!)
-flat plier to insert the pins
-6-steps nail buffer : I use this to gently remove the excess of material if some parts don't sit flush

A few pictures !

C762BE30-F511-4C1E-8519-20EBE95119E6.thumb.jpeg.a1fda124d275f8d91497d4f745592e93.jpeg

12DE3A00-CE2B-4DB4-9D76-3EFED363C2E0.thumb.jpeg.2e6dedc2109eb9c5853c669dc94925f7.jpeg

07N004_VF9.jpg

07N007_VF9.jpg

07N006_VF9.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid

Considering the small size, I hope around 150$, but the there are 2 parts to be printed separately: the clear canopy and the seat+interior details. These can rise the price significantly. 

I will be able to tell once I begin to upload the parts at shapeways. 

Oh wow, that looks great! Never thought I'd see a 1/60 VF-9, I'm glad you were crazy enough to take on the challenge :lol:. Swappable landing gear is probably fine especially given how small the VF-9 is and all the joints you need to pack inside.

14 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Hi guys,

I have been busy last days (couple months... in fact) with a very challenging design from Macross Delta: the VF-9, aka Cutlass. This is a small fighter designed to support the VF-1 in mission. Guess what ? It is even shorter than a VF-1.

I tried my best to make a great looking transforming toy in all three modes for the 1:60 scale, printable in WSF (SLS nylon powder). So far, I am pretty confident that I will soon have something printable. 90% of the model is good to go using M1.7x6mm, M1.7x10mm screws and 1mm diameter rods. I need to refine the design of a few parts such as the Head, the right shoulder and the vertical stabilizers. I also need to decide if it can have retractable or swap-able landing gears.

The battroid mode should have sufficient articulation to compare with an Arcadia VF-1, I just hope all the joints will be tight enough.

A few pictures !

D*mn, Xigfrid !. That's an awesome piece of VF there  !. Finally somebody showed some love to those little VF-9s !. Keep'em coming!

Well looks like I have something new to add to my growing wishlist on Shapeways. 

I assume you'll include a list of the needed parts for assembly (ie the screws and rods) when the model hits the store?

Well in fighter and gerwalk the 2 first portions of the wings are self sustained (as described in the line art) and the last portion is less critical and should be easily handle with a simple pin  

The wing design is not finalized yet, because I keep it for the last moment. My favorite solution would be using magnets for fighter and battroid modes but I have a few alternatives such as using pins with an elastic or copper wires. 

But i am very confident that it will be easy to have them straight. 

Small Neodynium magnets, strategically placed and properly aligned would be an ideal solution to provide strong and stable, yet unobtrusive, locking for folding components; the super strong types could even be mounted sandwiched inside parts so they are completely hidden behind a shell's inner surface and still do the job.  Molded pegs or tabs would work but be prone to wear and breakage if small enough to be inoffensive, or grossly obvious in order to be effective.  Metal pins should work just fine strength-wise but elastic bands can undergo all manner of unwanted deterioration and copper wires can break if flexed one too may times.

By the way, mad props for tackling such a project and achieving such beautiful results.:clapping: 

Edited by mechaninac

I've been working on something similar some time ago. After fixing my Papercraft VF-9 I thought about doing a high detailed model in 3D to send to Shapeways and have it printed.

vf9_3ds_003.JPG.899445b37f0cbff6d8f45591ecd47a4b.JPGvf9_3ds_002.JPG.d24e6027e7ae790853531b05afbd2f72.JPG

vf9_3ds_001.JPG.90844b38ac1fbf8a0ab241fb8470e9a2.JPG

I had the HQ wings done and was working to get the mainframe done, but you know - I don't have much time, so this ended up in development hell. Maybe I have to take it up again. My idea was to have it in fighter mode in 1/72 to stand with my Hasegawa models.

@Xigfrid: I am thrilled to see your model printed and in action.

@Urashiman I am glad to meet you because I have been using your paper model a lot for the panel lines. I have also tried to use your model (orthogonal projections) as reference because it was almost identical to the latest line art but it didn’t really took into consideration that the VF-9 is a very small plane so even if the true line art is very streamlined, I couldn’t use it to scale well with an Arcadia VF-1. 

And from there I had to trick the dimensions even further to obtain a good looking battroid 

you HD model looks really good! I am sure if you finish it and print it in FUD (High détail plastic) it will look incredible together with an Hasegawa VF-1, keep the hard work if you can afford it. 

1 hour ago, Xigfrid said:

@Urashiman I am glad to meet you because I have been using your paper model a lot for the panel lines. I have also tried to use your model (orthogonal projections) as reference because it was almost identical to the latest line art but it didn’t really took into consideration that the VF-9 is a very small plane so even if the true line art is very streamlined, I couldn’t use it to scale well with an Arcadia VF-1. 

And from there I had to trick the dimensions even further to obtain a good looking battroid 

you HD model looks really good! I am sure if you finish it and print it in FUD (High détail plastic) it will look incredible together with an Hasegawa VF-1, keep the hard work if you can afford it. 

Oh, nice to hear that people still use my stuff.

Yeah, the VF-9 is really small, even smaller than the VF-1. Doing it in 1/48 would be better, so the fine structures don't break so fast. Printing in the normal "Strong and flexible" might end up in fragile parts ...

You are talking about the Frosted Ultra Detail? I've used that once for a H0 (1:87) Tram I was printing. It is still up on shapeways I think. Actually I had the FUD in mind while designing the VF-9 High Detail model. I also had a High Detail VF-14 on my to do list, but there just isn't enough time. I probably have to take a sabbatical or something to catch up on all my crazy projects.

Awesome!!! If it's under USD200, I'm in.

Did you come up with the transformation, or did you base it on another garage kit?

BTW, does the new Shapeways option to create shells (to reduce cost) work with your parts? 

Edited by arbit

Hey arbit thanks :) I too hope it would be under the 150$ mark. 

The transformation is based on the line art, I had almost everything working as intended except for the bottom stabilizer fins that would be fixed, the hands will rotate instead of sliding out and the landing gears. I am not finished yet so I am working on small details and final design at the same time. 

I didn’t know there was a new “create shell tool”. Last time I tried it, it was 2 years ago and the shell would have large holes (10mm large) that couldn’t hold small parts such as fingers or landing gears parts. I need to check that

18 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

Hey arbit thanks :) I too hope it would be under the 150$ mark. 

The transformation is based on the line art, I had almost everything working as intended except for the bottom stabilizer fins that would be fixed, the hands will rotate instead of sliding out and the landing gears. I am not finished yet so I am working on small details and final design at the same time. 

I didn’t know there was a new “create shell tool”. Last time I tried it, it was 2 years ago and the shell would have large holes (10mm large) that couldn’t hold small parts such as fingers or landing gears parts. I need to check that

If it happens to be for that price, include me:D

I hope some day you do the VA-3. please! please!

Small updates and even more smaller details.

I added 2 wing tabs, but they look meh, technically I will be using 4 magnets for a total of 2 kg (20N) strength, they should be largely enough to hold the wings closed. That's something only the prototype will be able to tell.

08_01MBIS03 _wingssolution TEST 3.jpg

08_04MBIS03 _wingssolution TEST 3.jpg

08_05MBIS03 _wingssolution TEST 3.jpg

08_06MBIS06 _wingssolution TEST 3.jpg

08_07MBIS06 _wingssolution TEST 3.jpg

1 hour ago, 007-vf1 said:

How about printing one on 1/144? Non transformable of course

Would it be possible from any of these 3D models?

yeah, but the details would be really bad...

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

You could combine the STLs into a single file, but it'd still need a lot of gap-filling.

Haha sometime I really wish I could afford someone who would correct and gap fill my 3D sketches, I would save a lot of time