Calibre Wings 1/72 diecast VF-1

Sildani

On the FB page there is only 1 product code for both max and milla, and mentioned as a giftset.
That on the surface, looks like a two-pack.

But i can see why, as it would be easier to release both of them in sales, rather than promote each individually.

On the visual front, the white tampo's on blue/red certainly stand out...  

70678402_1291804194354965_3661874449256284160_o.jpg.96e9c4ec4b2f7a664ae53bf6efae2555.jpg

Certainly a nice looking pair.
Dare i say am more attracted to these than the vf-1 focker from the tampo/finish POV..

Edited by seti88

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Calibre VF-1, and it does not come with a base to display it in flight. The instructions show a router display base made by Calibre that is suggested, but I am not sure if I am liking the looks of that base, or the thought of stability on 3 positioned sticks. Are there any other flight display base options out there? I am considering the Hasegawa 2-pack base kit that is sold for all the 1/72 Macross fighter model kits they make, but the looks of that base never really made me crazy about those, either.

5 hours ago, Sarensaas said:

I just got the Calibre VF-1, and it does not come with a base to display it in flight. The instructions show a router display base made by Calibre that is suggested, but I am not sure if I am liking the looks of that base, or the thought of stability on 3 positioned sticks. Are there any other flight display base options out there? I am considering the Hasegawa 2-pack base kit that is sold for all the 1/72 Macross fighter model kits they make, but the looks of that base never really made me crazy about those, either.

Wow, I thought CW had a new design for flight stands they were using for the F-14s at least. The Flightpose stands completely suck for these (and most other toys) because of the weight of the diecast. The pads have potential to remove paint so you need to cover them but then they might lose grip if you use something like tape to cover them. I’m not sure what would work for these VF-1s unless @ChaoticYeti makes an adapter to use with his stands. The only way I got the Flightpose stand my F-14 came with to hold somewhat securely was by inserting two posts directly in the thrusters and the other to support the model vertically. Luckily, I like it that way but might not be possible with the VF-1 thruster design. 

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Wow, I thought CW had a new design for flight stands they were using for the F-14s at least. The Flightpose stands completely suck for these (and most other toys) because of the weight of the diecast. The pads have potential to remove paint so you need to cover them but then they might lose grip if you use something like tape to cover them. I’m not sure what would work for these VF-1s unless @ChaoticYeti makes an adapter to use with his stands. The only way I got the Flightpose stand my F-14 came with to hold somewhat securely was by inserting two posts directly in the thrusters and the other to support the model vertically. Luckily, I like it that way but might not be possible with the VF-1 thruster design. 

The Hikaru F-14D I have did come with an alternate stand, which isn't bad, but it's specifically designed for an F-14.  Really though, I've never used it.  I believe it's a derivative of another die-cast aircraft company's design, and while it works fine in theory, I do not believe it's the best option for the Calibre F-14s.

Here's a thumbnail from Jenius's site (I can't seem to find the full-sized picture for some reason), and it illustrates why I don't trust these stands.
calibre.jpg.9b64e34c9dcecccb1c856bf1ee95ff9d.jpg

All of Calibre's press photography blatantly photoshops out the fact that these stands clip over the speed brake section of the plane.  For most die-cast F-14s, that's all well and good, but Calibre's design uses an entirely plastic speed brake section that's glued in between the engines.  Maybe I'm overly cautious about structural issues, but the idea of supporting a fairly hefty metal model entirely by a glued-on plastic section doesn't sit well with me.

The one 1/72 Century Wings F-14 I have also uses a stand that supports the plane with hooks around the speed brake area, but that one has the entire mid-body made of metal, and even then, it supports the plane underneath the belly with another plastic arm.

3 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

The Hikaru F-14D I have did come with an alternate stand, which isn't bad, but it's specifically designed for an F-14.  Really though, I've never used it.  I believe it's a derivative of another die-cast aircraft company's design, and while it works fine in theory, I do not believe it's the best option for the Calibre F-14s.

Here's a thumbnail from Jenius's site (I can't seem to find the full-sized picture for some reason), and it illustrates why I don't trust these stands.

All of Calibre's press photography blatantly photoshops out the fact that these stands clip over the speed brake section of the plane.  For most die-cast F-14s, that's all well and good, but Calibre's design uses an entirely plastic speed brake section that's glued in between the engines.  Maybe I'm overly cautious about structural issues, but the idea of supporting a fairly hefty metal model entirely by a glued-on plastic section doesn't sit well with me.

The one 1/72 Century Wings F-14 I have also uses a stand that supports the plane with hooks around the speed brake area, but that one has the entire mid-body made of metal, and even then, it supports the plane underneath the belly with another plastic arm.

So basically CW stands suck across the board? They are lovely models but between the fiddly parts and stands, I'm not motivated to buy anymore than the one I have. Even though the KC 1/72 Valk I got recently isn't the greatest, I think it is an incredible value in comparison to CW. For slightly less, you do get cheaper materials but a paintjob that is very comparable and the thing still transforms. 

10 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

hmm

those look like JCWings stands:  https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10386438

14 minutes ago, treatment said:

hmm

those look like JCWings stands:  https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10386438

Yep, looks about right.  They're not a bad stand, considering how difficult it is to find empty space on an F-14 to mount one, and Calibre's attention to detail with the working speed brake section is appreciated, but I don't think supporting the entire model by that plastic section is a good idea.  Both good ideas, but not a good structural combination.

What I wish someone would do is just make the entire afterburner section removable, and make a stand that plugs deeply into the fuselage with a replacement nozzle attached.

I'm slightly torn on the KC VF-1, but have to agree, I'd rather grab one of those than the CW one, so long as they fix the hardpoint issues.

Edited by Chronocidal

5 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Yep, looks about right.  They're not a bad stand, considering how difficult it is to find empty space on an F-14 to mount one, and Calibre's attention to detail with the working speed brake section is appreciated, but I don't think supporting the entire model by that plastic section is a good idea.  Both good ideas, but not a good structural combination.

What I wish someone would do is just make the entire afterburner section removable, and make a stand that plugs deeply into the fuselage with a replacement nozzle attached.

That's exactly how I use my CW/Flightpose stand.

F-14_CalibreWings.jpg.e0e8d5d9a193de15e1b3dd0d6b960788.jpg 

I added thrust effects to cover them in this pic but that's how it works.

18 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I recall Calibre Wings was originally going to do their ocean low-pass diorama base in this manner, but eventually went with a central post instead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

*101* modex numbers on both?  Fail, deal-killer.  Max is 202, she's 303.     Plus we all know that 101 is another, very famous VF-1J pilot...

They're also labeled SDF-1, instead of Prometheus.  So really, these are just Hikaru's 1J, with the colors swapped.  The details are all his, not theirs.  

19 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

*101* modex numbers on both?  Fail, deal-killer.  Max is 202, she's 303.     Plus we all know that 101 is another, very famous VF-1J pilot...

They're also labeled SDF-1, instead of Prometheus.  So really, these are just Hikaru's 1J, with the colors swapped.  The details are all his, not theirs.  

Good catches. Would Prometheus be right though? The M&M 1Js weren't introduced until after the SDF-1 had taken its final resting place on Earth IIRC. 

It's a heckuva tradition, tho.

Hasegawa have had the TV valks paired with Prometheus and DYRL Valks with ARMD-1 in like forever.

But we're all digressing here, tho.

This product is a HG-licensed product that follows HG's robotech shenanigans, afterall...

Edited by treatment

42 minutes ago, jenius said:

I would still say Prometheus would be wrong... Even if it's traditionally depicted that way. 

The blue and red paint schemes were created sometime between Episode 25 and before the events of episode 27....

In Episode 25....Max and Millia honeymoon aboard the blue "VR" VF-1D....In Episode 26, Millia is shown wearing an officer's uniform, so perhaps Max and Millia already had their special VF-1J's painted up in their "colors"....by Episode 27, Max and Millia are blowing up Zentradi forces in their blue and red VF-1J's....

With that said, it makes sense that their VF-1J's are part of the various squadrons stationed on the Prometheus....perhaps you are thinking of post-episode 27 when their VF-1J's were possibly stationed elsewhere...

Edited by jvmacross

Regardless of what ship, you're not going to have multiple planes on board with the same modex number---that defeats the whole point of having modex numbers!  They're to differentiate among different planes on the ship, without having to get up close and reference a long serial number...       (so you just paint big numbers in easily-visible places---like the nose, ventral fins, and flaps, so that ground crew can easily identify from most angles at a fair distance)  

No arguments about the numbers here... Just saying the carrier designation, while almost certainly just being a holdover from a planned Rick 1J, doesn't seem like much of a sin. It seems as sensible or more than Prometheus. ARMD would have been the only obviously wrong thing that could have happened.

7 hours ago, jenius said:

No arguments about the numbers here... Just saying the carrier designation, while almost certainly just being a holdover from a planned Rick 1J, doesn't seem like much of a sin. It seems as sensible or more than Prometheus. ARMD would have been the only obviously wrong thing that could have happened.

Actually....the Daedelus would have been worse as it is clearly only used for housing the Destroids.....

Remember that the ARMD's were originally going to be attached to the SDF-1 in the TV version, just like in the DYRL version...not the Daedelus or Prometheus....I can only assume that they were also equipped to deploy VF-1's just as seen in DYRL....wonder if @Seto Kaiba would be able to shed some light on this?

On 2/14/2020 at 12:04 AM, jenius said:

Good catches. Would Prometheus be right though? The M&M 1Js weren't introduced until after the SDF-1 had taken its final resting place on Earth IIRC. 

Nope....they were both introduced just prior to that event...

The blue and red VF-1J's did not exist until Max and Millia flew them in those colors....that happens for sure as of Episode 27.....before the SDF-1 had taken it's final resting place....so basically while in space and based out of the only place all VF's can be based off of while in space....

After the SDF-1 crashes on Earth....they probably were still flying sorties from the Promtheus for several years until land bases were contructed...

Sounds like you have a good excuse to just rewatch all of SDFM TV....lol

3 hours ago, jenius said:

But the sdf-1 had hangars so Prometheus or SDF-1 are both equally valid regardless.

Sure, but only one can be valid, in terms of the actual canon or a collectible's claims to any level of authenticity.  In the case of Calibre Wings, the modex blunder shows that they really weren't all that concerned about the "canon".  I would be curious if any of the available data actually sheds any light on the actual "home base" for Max and Millia's VF-1J's...which, based on the timeline of events depicted on the show, seems to point to it being the Prometheus.

Another thing to consider is the number of VF-1's that were aboard the SDF-1 on launch day vs. the number stationed on the Prometheus.  As I said, the Prometheus and Deadelus were not originally to be part of the SDF-1.    In either case, 2 VF-1J's were grabbed and re-assigned to Max and Millia...so, unless there were already a blue and a red VF-1J onboard either the Prometheus or SDF-1....or possibly salvaged from the wreckage of the ARMDs......someone had to have applied either the "Prometheus" or "SDF-1" markings once they were re-painted, thus there could only be one valid marking.....calling @Seto Kaiba

Edited by jvmacross

Regarding the carrier designation, I think "Prometheus" is the "more correct" carrier designation for the M&M 1Js, but it's SDFM which is riddled with various production errors, so it can be pretty hard to tell what is intentional and what is in error when you starting dealing with this minutia.

A Blue/white Max 1J valk is first seen in Episode 24, and it appears to be launching from the Prometheus, as far as I can tell.  Then we see another blue/white valk in Episode 25: Virgin Road, which most of the community has decided is a different valk from the episode 24 valk.  It has become known as the VF-1D "Virgin Road" edition, despite being clearly being shown with a VF-1A head in the animation.  But because it has two seats in it, and some toy companies made that version as a VF-1D, some of the community has decided it was the 1A head that is the anime production error.  It could well be, who knows.  I've never seen any official statement to conclude one way or the other.

We then see the M&M blue and red 1Js in episode 27.  I don't think you see where they launch from, specifically.  They are already launched when we see them.

Edited by HardlyNever

46 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Sure, but only one can be valid, in terms of the actual canon or a collectible's claims to any level of authenticity.  In the case of Calibre Wings, the modex blunder shows that they really weren't all that concerned about the "canon".  I would be curious if any of the available data actually sheds any light on the actual "home base" for Max and Millia's VF-1J's...which, based on the timeline of events depicted on the show, seems to point to it being the Prometheus.

Another thing to consider is the number of VF-1's that were aboard the SDF-1 on launch day vs. the number stationed on the Prometheus.  As I said, the Prometheus and Deadelus were not originally to be part of the SDF-1.    In either case, 2 VF-1J's were grabbed and re-assigned to Max and Millia...so, unless there were already a blue and a red VF-1J onboard either the Prometheus or SDF-1....or possibly salvaged from the wreckage of the ARMDs......someone had to have applied either the "Prometheus" or "SDF-1" markings once they were re-painted, thus there could only be one valid marking.....calling @Seto Kaiba

The SDF-1 was resupplied on Earth also so they may have been badged something else entirely until being repainted/re-used. I guess my real point here is... it's a total nitpick because it's easily shrugged off as a 'sure, maybe'. The numbers on the other hand, they're just wrong. 

55 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

calling @Seto Kaiba

... never expected to get summoned to the CaliberWings thread, what with me being vehemently opposed to supporting any Harmony Gold licensee on principle.

In the case of Calibre Wings, the modex blunder shows that they really weren't all that concerned about the "canon".

It's not as boneheaded as it could've been, I suppose... Max and Milia's VF-1Js are the only two main character VF-1s that never had any modex number attached to them in an official or semi-official source.  Applying the same number to both is a boneheaded mistake, sure as sure, but at least they didn't compound it by also contradicting an official number.  They could have literally picked any two numbers and been OK... 

(For the record, Roy's VF-1S had 001, Hikaru's original VF-1J had 023, Max's VF-1A had 111, and Kakizaki's 112... except in DYRL, where Hikaru, Kakizaki, and Max were 011, 012, and 013 respectively.)

I would be curious if any of the available data actually sheds any light on the actual "home base" for Max and Millia's VF-1J's...which, based on the timeline of events depicted on the show, seems to point to it being the Prometheus.

Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1 Valkyrie Vol.1 "Stratosphere Wings" asserts that Max and Milia's VF-1Js were stationed aboard the SDF-1 Macross itself, rather than the Prometheus

It attempts to justify this, and other things, by asserting that the Spacy leveraged the PR importance of the first interstellar marriage by relieving Max of his regular duties and putting him and his new bride in a new independent unit codenamed "Love Birds", which was based directly aboard the Macross.  They fulfilled a variety of duties, including acting as a mobile reserve force to leverage their super-ace talents during the war.  The lack of a modex on either aircraft seems to be intentional, as they're outside regular force organization.  In later "Love Birds" paintjobs, like the one for the VF-4, Max and Milia's modex numbers were 01 and 02 respectively.

Another thing to consider is the number of VF-1's that were aboard the SDF-1 on launch day vs. the number stationed on the Prometheus.

212 and 150 respectively.

In either case, 2 VF-1J's were grabbed and re-assigned to Max and Millia...so, unless there were already a blue and a red VF-1J onboard either the Prometheus or SDF-1....or possibly salvaged from the wreckage of the ARMDs......someone had to have applied either the "Prometheus" or "SDF-1" markings once they were re-painted, thus there could only be one valid marking.....calling @Seto Kaiba

Exactly where they came from is unclear... but Master File at least claims that they were deliberately painted for Max and Milia's personal use.

Edited by Seto Kaiba