Calibre Wings 1/72 diecast VF-1

Sildani

Not only that.. but remember to think about what structures you're putting battle damage on. 

Tails are thin structures.  If you have holes that big on one side of the tail, chances are, the shots passed through, and would leave matching damage on the opposite side of the tail.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

What is the latest release date on these?

You can buy them directly from Calibre Wings by contacting them via their Facebook page. They sent me an invoice today so they must be shipping very soon.

3 hours ago, Vifam7 said:

You can buy them directly from Calibre Wings by contacting them via their Facebook page. They sent me an invoice today so they must be shipping very soon.

No social media for me....guess I'll just have to wait...I PO'd one from Flying Mule...hopefully they get them soon too

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Cool, wasn't even sure it'd been released.

Still waiting on mine from the flying mule, alongside a Calibre Wings F-14 Black Bunny.

Same

Chris

9 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Cool, wasn't even sure it'd been released.

Still waiting on mine from the flying mule, alongside a Calibre Wings F-14 Black Bunny.

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

Same

Chris

have you guys contacted them yet about this release?  I did and they seem totally clueless about it. ;)

Flying Mule has had some issues with Calibre releases in the past, I believe.  I don't know how widespread this was, but they completely blanked on my VF-142 F-14 order, and I had to contact them to cancel it, before just ordering it direct from Calibre's site.

Hmm I noticed with some other online stores too..the site I ordered my wolfpack from didn’t seem to list more models after the first initial 2..

Seems the best place to get it now is direct from cal wings? 

Kinda interested in the tomcatsky..

Edited by seti88

9 hours ago, seti88 said:

Hmm I noticed with some other online stores too..the site I ordered my wolfpack from didn’t seem to list more models after the first initial 2..

Seems the best place to get it now is direct from cal wings? 

Kinda interested in the tomcatsky..

Buying from Calibre Wings directly might be the quickest way to get their models. Online retailers like Flying Mule and Aiken's Airplanes eventually get them but it takes awhile. BBTS got the Macross-themed Tomcats far ahead of Flying Mule and other diecast aircraft model retailers.

Here's my review of the Calibre Wings 1/72 scale VF-1S diecast model.  Keep in mind that this is a model that only comes in fighter mode.  It does not transform in to gerwalk or battroid modes.

Initial impressions :

The model is quite hefty. Almost everything is diecast metal. The only parts that are not metal seems to be the landing gears/covers, the pylons/missiles, and the foot thrusters. The gunpod is a heavy solid chunk of metal!

The size : 

Size-wise, it comes a bit smaller than both the 1/72 Kitz Concept 1/72 and the recent 1/72 Bandai kit. I'd say it's following the scale sizing of the 1/72 Hasegawa. In fact, I'd say the model has taken a good number of cues from the 1/72 Hasegawa. For example, the intakes area is very much Hasegawa style rather than Yamato-Arcadia 1/60v2. However, there are differences - for example, the lower leg area is definitely not from the 1/72 Hasegawa (which is a good thing). The tail fins are also larger - a subtle difference but gets a nod of approval from me as I think it makes the VF-1 more aircraft like.

The finish (paint app, markings, panel-lines, etc.) :

The model has a gloss/semi-gloss-like finish. I prefer a flat finish but it's OK. Based on photos seen on Calibre's Facebook page, I thought the panel-line wash was going to be way overdone with dark inking but once in hand, I see that it's quite different. The panel-lines have a light gray-ish inking to it and it's decently subtle.  The panel-lines molding is a bit thicker than Calibre's own F-14 Tomcat model, but within the norms of diecast aircraft models.

There's a fair amount of markings on the model. All the markings have been tampo printed on so no worries about having to apply stickers or water-slide decals. I will note however that the "No Step" markings are printed in black and very tiny so they don't really stand out. Calibre probably should have used red for the "No Step" markings like those provided as decals in the Hasegawa kit.

Moving parts :

Not many moving parts. Only the wings swing and the canopy opens.  That's it.  The wheels do not roll. The tow bar does not move. The speedbrake does not open.  Such moving parts are generally not needed in a diecast display model and it seems most diecast aircraft collectors tend to not like them so it's just as well that it is the way it is.

Optional parts :

The model can be displayed with landing gears deployed or in in-flight mode. The model comes in the box with the landing gears attached.  The landing gears will come out as a swappable pieces somewhat like the Bandai HMR. Personally I prefer this option over integrated landing gears as it means a more realistic set of legs and wheels. Separate covers are provided for in-flight mode.

4 pylons with AMM-1 missiles are provided. Not sure why but the wash on the pylons & missiles are much darker and dirtier than the rest of the aircraft.

The attachment of the pylons to the wings is nothing like the Yamato-Arcadia 1/60v2 or the Bandai Hi-Metal R. And this leads me to the one troublesome issue I found with this model.  The attachment of the pylons is via a simple small round peg that goes into a hole in the wing.  This wouldn't be a problem if the said peg went in without fuss. Unfortunately, the peg on the pylons are too tall and thick for the holes in the wing. Be prepared for some sanding and trimming of those pegs if you want them to go in and stay in.  Maybe use a bit of glue too (more on this below). To be fair, this is nothing unusual for diecast aircraft models.

The GU-11 gunpod is ofourse provided as well. The gunpod fits in fine. Amazingly despite being a simple plug-in and the gunpod being a a heavy piece of metal, it stays firmly in. However, due to the weight you might find the barrel-end of the gunpod drop downwards a bit. A bit of Elmer’s white glue when you put in the gunpod will help keep it straight.  Just apply the glue, flip the aircraft on it back, and let it dry overnight.

Don’t worry about using Elmer’s glue. In fact, for any bits and pieces of diecast models that won’t stay in (like missiles or pylons), it is recommended to use Elmer’s glue as it is super easy to use (just wipe away any excess with a wet Q-tip or tissue) and it won’t attack the paint. It’s also non-permanent, so if you need to remove the pieces, a light tug is all that's needed.

Final thoughts :

If you want a Hasegawa-like 1/72 scale completed VF-1 model, then this may be just what you want. For me, this is exactly what I wanted. The issues I’ve noted above are nothing what I’d consider to be deal-breakers. Perhaps others may find other issues or details that I have missed. But in my opinion, Calibre has hit a homerun.  Now, if they could only do the VF-4…

Tomorrow, I will post some photos comparing the Calibre model to the Bandai kit and Kitz Concept toy which are also in 1/72 scale.

And now for a few photos :

20190731_212909-L.jpg

20190801_080106-L.jpg

20190801_181845-L.jpg

20190731_231027-L.jpg

8 minutes ago, Vifam7 said:

Here's my review of the Calibre Wings 1/72 scale VF-1S diecast model.  Keep in mind that this is a model that only comes in fighter mode.  It does not transform in to gerwalk or battroid modes.

Initial impressions :

The model is quite hefty. Almost everything is diecast metal. The only parts that are not metal seems to be the landing gears/covers, the pylons/missiles, and the foot thrusters. The gunpod is a heavy solid chunk of metal!

The size : 

Size-wise, it comes a bit smaller than both the 1/72 Kitz Concept 1/72 and the recent 1/72 Bandai kit. I'd say it's following the scale sizing of the 1/72 Hasegawa. In fact, I'd say the model has taken a good number of cues from the 1/72 Hasegawa. For example, the intakes area is very much Hasegawa style rather than Yamato-Arcadia 1/60v2. However, there are differences - for example, the lower leg area is definitely not from the 1/72 Hasegawa (which is a good thing). The tail fins are also larger - a subtle difference but gets a nod of approval from me as I think it makes the VF-1 more aircraft like.

The finish (paint app, markings, panel-lines, etc.) :

The model has a gloss/semi-gloss-like finish. I prefer a flat finish but it's OK. Based on photos seen on Calibre's Facebook page, I thought the panel-line wash was going to be way overdone with dark inking but once in hand, I see that it's quite different. The panel-lines have a light gray-ish inking to it and it's decently subtle.  The panel-lines molding is a bit thicker than Calibre's own F-14 Tomcat model, but within the norms of diecast aircraft models.

There's a fair amount of markings on the model. All the markings have been tampo printed on so no worries about having to apply stickers or water-slide decals. I will note however that the "No Step" markings are printed in black and very tiny so they don't really stand out. Calibre probably should have used red for the "No Step" markings like those provided as decals in the Hasegawa kit.

Moving parts :

Not many moving parts. Only the wings swing and the canopy opens.  That's it.  The wheels do not roll. The tow bar does not move. The speedbrake does not open.  Such moving parts are generally not needed in a diecast display model and it seems most diecast aircraft collectors tend to not like them so it's just as well that it is the way it is.

Optional parts :

The model can be displayed with landing gears deployed or in in-flight mode. The model comes in the box with the landing gears attached.  The landing gears will come out as a swappable pieces somewhat like the Bandai HMR. Personally I prefer this option over integrated landing gears as it means a more realistic set of legs and wheels. Separate covers are provided for in-flight mode.

4 pylons with AMM-1 missiles are provided. Not sure why but the wash on the pylons & missiles are much darker and dirtier than the rest of the aircraft.

The attachment of the pylons to the wings is nothing like the Yamato-Arcadia 1/60v2 or the Bandai Hi-Metal R. And this leads me to the one troublesome issue I found with this model.  The attachment of the pylons is via a simple small round peg that goes into a hole in the wing.  This wouldn't be a problem if the said peg went in without fuss. Unfortunately, the peg on the pylons are too tall and thick for the holes in the wing. Be prepared for some sanding and trimming of those pegs if you want them to go in and stay in.  Maybe use a bit of glue too (more on this below). To be fair, this is nothing unusual for diecast aircraft models.

The GU-11 gunpod is ofourse provided as well. The gunpod fits in fine. Amazingly despite being a simple plug-in and the gunpod being a a heavy piece of metal, it stays firmly in. However, due to the weight you might find the barrel-end of the gunpod drop downwards a bit. A bit of Elmer’s white glue when you put in the gunpod will help keep it straight.  Just apply the glue, flip the aircraft on it back, and let it dry overnight.

Don’t worry about using Elmer’s glue. In fact, for any bits and pieces of diecast models that won’t stay in (like missiles or pylons), it is recommended to use Elmer’s glue as it is super easy to use (just wipe away any excess with a wet Q-tip or tissue) and it won’t attack the paint. It’s also non-permanent, so if you need to remove the pieces, a light tug is all that's needed.

Final thoughts :

If you want a Hasegawa-like 1/72 scale completed VF-1 model, then this may be just what you want. For me, this is exactly what I wanted. The issues I’ve noted above are nothing what I’d consider to be deal-breakers. Perhaps others may find other issues or details that I have missed. But in my opinion, Calibre has hit a homerun.  Now, if they could only do the VF-4…

Tomorrow, I will post some photos comparing the Calibre model to the Bandai kit and Kitz Concept toy which are also in 1/72 scale.

And now for a few photos :

20190731_212909-L.jpg

20190801_080106-L.jpg

20190801_181845-L.jpg

20190731_231027-L.jpg

Thanks for the review and pictures! That tip about using Elmer's glue is fantastic! Never thought about using it and sounds great that it is easily undone and not damaging. I'm going to use some on the F-14 I have from them because the loose landing gear covers and missiles are annoying as hell to me, lol!

@Vifam7...good review, I look forward to the sizing comparisons to the KC VF-1S....

The tail wings do seem over-sized to me, but only when looking at it from it's profile.

Can you also compare the pilots on your next post?  I think this was supposed to come with a standing pilot also, no?

Here are the comparison pics.

Top to bottom - Calibre, Kitz Concept, Bandai

20190731_212909-L.jpg

20190204_220821-L.jpg

20190204_220723-L.jpg

20190801_220823-L.jpg

20190801_220921-L.jpg

20190801_221027-L.jpg

2019-08-01%2021.21.11-L.jpg

2019-08-01%2021.22.14-L.jpg

2019-08-01%2021.20.06-L.jpg

I haven't really compared the pilot figures but here's a pic showing the Calibre Roy (left) and the KC Roy (right) sitting in the cockpits. I think the KC figure is better painted but he's very loose in the cockpit. The Calibre figure is secure in the cockpit but it is a bit fiddly to put in due to the long legs. You'll need a toothpick to guide Roy's legs into the Calibre cockpit. ^_^

20190801_222427a-L.jpg

@Vifam7 Thanks for the review and photos, very helpful.

From what I can gather from the photos, the KC version seems to compare pretty well (in terms of details at least). Overall, being transformable and all, it seem to be the winner.

I would love to hear your view on this as having both at hands, you can judge much better.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comparisons between the KC,Calibre, and Bandai.  

I have both versions of Calibre's Fokker's TV  1S coming in short order from BBTS.   Eventually once I complete my game room I am hoping to display them.  Along with all the Macross F-14 variants.

• 1 month later...