Calibre Wings 1/72 diecast VF-1

Sildani

Like it says! Seen on their Facebook page. 

They want to make the definitive, lineart-accurate VF-1 model. Non-transformable, so I apologize if this should go in Model Kits. 

I honestly don’t know how to feel about this... knowing CalWings they’ll be ransacking Valkyrie in Action for paint schemes... but this’ll be $120 minimum and it won’t transform. Hmm...

At 1/72 scale for a non-transformable vf-1 fighter, i think the detailing has got to be top notch to get the demand on board.
That or the price.

Bandai is teasing their transformable vf-1 DX (altho on a separate scale), so that's a hmmmmm also in the interest dept.

side note tho, wonder if there will be strike packs as well?

Edited by seti88

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Maybe 1....because it's diecast.....and because I want to see if KC's 1/72 VF-1 is any good....

As of now....I think I'm good with 1/60 and 1/100 scales....especially if they transform....

as someone with past experience of Hasegawa, Imai, Arii and Bandai [old, not their new transformable] 1/72 vf-1's... a 'Definitive' version will be a tall order...

I wish them Luck too, because I'll gladly hold onto the cash they almost pried out of me for some Tomcats for a VF-1... or maybe even a couple depending on schemes....... If they hit us with tomcat-squadron schemes out-of-the-gate I may be in trouble:ph34r:

their F-14s do look great though............... bring on the Valks!!!! I'll take a TV 4-ship first please. put them all in one box and let's get this over with... 

3J3uglH.gif

Edited by slide

3 hours ago, seti88 said:

At 1/72 scale for a non-transformable vf-1 fighter, i think the detailing has got to be top notch to get the demand on board.
That or the price.

Calibre Wings' 1/72 scale diecast F-14 Tomcats have superb detail. I have 2 in my collection and they are head and shoulders above other diecast model manufacturers of the Tomcat. The head guy at Calibre is supposedly a stickler for accuracy so I'm excited for this.

As a former 1/72 collector, I would have been interested in this and their F-14 but I’ve climbed out of the rabbit hole of 1/72 scale collecting.  I’m good for now with 1/60 and 1/100 scales as well.

This is good news. But I'll rather pay $200 for a definitive diecast non-transforming Calibre Wings VF-1 in 1/48 scale. Just to have a VF-1 centerpiece in my collection. And in this specific scheme: Hikaru VF-1S with and without Strike Packs. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

As a former 1/72 collector, I would have been interested in this and their F-14 but I’ve climbed out of the rabbit hole of 1/72 scale collecting.  I’m good for now with 1/60 and 1/100 scales as well.

3 hours ago, Vifam7 said:

Calibre Wings' 1/72 scale diecast F-14 Tomcats have superb detail. I have 2 in my collection and they are head and shoulders above other diecast model manufacturers of the Tomcat. The head guy at Calibre is supposedly a stickler for accuracy so I'm excited for this.

I have the f-14 Wolfpack release from them, and looking out for the wave 3 releases of their f-14s. Just wondering how much more detail can be added to their vf-1 version. Weathered perhaps? 

Their upcoming f-16 has removable engine blocks and I wouldn't mind if they put that in for the vf-1 as well.

The vf-1 release space is indeed tight.

3 minutes ago, seti88 said:

I have the f-14 Wolfpack release from them, and looking out for the wave 3 releases of their f-14s. Just wondering how much more detail can be added to their vf-1 version. Weathered perhaps? 

Their upcoming f-16 has removable engine blocks and I wouldn't mind if they put that in for the vf-1 as well.

The vf-1 release space is indeed tight.

How much detail to add indeed? Hmmm. Maybe this time we will get to see how the double tailhook looks like on a VF-1 Valkyrie? :rolleyes:

I have Calibre Wings' Roy Fokker and Rick Hunter F-14's and absolutely love them, but I'm not too excited for a 1/72 VF-1. The Fokker and Hunter F-14's were unique enough for me to justify the expenses. But the availability of other 1/72 VF-1's on the market kind of dulls its charm to me. Plus, a VF-1 in 1/72 scale is relatively small (unlike a 1/72 F-14), so I'm concerned it won't have the same level of detail as the Fokker and Hunter F-14's. The inclusion of internal landing gears, movable flaps, etc., would make it more appealing, but again, I just don't see that happening in 1/72. Hopefully Calibre will prove me wrong.

Edited by TheLoneWolf

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

This is good news. But I'll rather pay $200 for a definitive diecast non-transforming Calibre Wings VF-1 in 1/48 scale. Just to have a VF-1 centerpiece in my collection. And in this specific scheme: Hikaru VF-1S with and without Strike Packs. :rolleyes:

+ 1 

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

How much detail to add indeed? Hmmm. Maybe this time we will get to see how the double tailhook looks like on a VF-1 Valkyrie? :rolleyes:

haha i think that would be a challenge to mold. how to keep the hooks nicely tucked at the sides of the legs?

posting a pic here  attn: @Blackaces ! 

vf-1-fighter-controlsurfaces.gif.07f1c7f592d95906ced892d00316d3c0.gif

thanks to @no3Ljm for the reminder! :mellow::)

6 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

I have Calibre Wings' Roy Fokker and Rick Hunter F-14's and absolutely love them, but I'm not too excited for a 1/72 VF-1. The Fokker and Hunter F-14's were unique enough for me to justify the expenses. But the availability of other 1/72 VF-1's on the market kind of dulls its charm to me. Plus, a VF-1 in 1/72 scale is relatively small (unlike a 1/72 F-14), so I'm concerned it won't have the same level of detail as the Fokker and Hunter F-14's. The inclusion of internal landing gears, movable flaps, etc., would make it more appealing, but again, I just don't see that happening in 1/72. Hopefully Calibre will prove me wrong.

I doubt you'll see any internally moving parts aside from the wings and possibly the canopy at most. Most diecast manufacturers opt for parts swapping over functional gimmicks.

For example, Century Wings made a cat launch F-14 model but it had wings fixed forward and forward landing gear in the lower elevation used for catapult launches(rather than using a nose gear that could lower onto its mount by itself).

Hopefully Calibre Wings doesn't put the engine fans too close up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm should we merge threads for calibre wings releases to be under the anime section(since afaik they have robotech license since its international), or keep it separate? In fact there is also another calibre wings thread in the toys section ...

Edited by seti88

• 1 month later...