The Official Moscato Hobby Models Thread

Captain's log, July 24th.

Things are progressing more slowly than I would like, mostly because I'm still arranging the studio to my liking and trying to find old tools I had stashed away years ago. I'm getting there, step by step.

Pic 1: thankfully I kept my trusty ol' Ryobi drill press, which ironically is never used for drilling. I set the pulleys to high-speed and mounted a grinding stone and use it almost exclusively as an end-mill to create parallell surfaces on pieces of oddly-shaped modeling board. 

Pic 2: next, I carefully cut-out my blueprints and mount them to the modeling board before taking the trusty bandsaw to them. I remove as much excess material as possible with the saw, then I can get much finer work done with the Dremel or just hand-sanding.

Pic 3: for straight, flat cuts & surfaces, I'll resort to the mill. This new machine has a brushless motor with variable speed control, so I can get finer cuts without chipping like with my old equipment.

Pic 4: I can also use my diaond-tipped grinding bits at high-speed to simulate a milling bit. In this case, creating an indent in the rifle stock.

Pic 5: this odd arrangement of pillars will be molded in order to create castings of various-sized resin bar-stock which I can then turn on the lathe... Mostly because it's much faster and cheaper than using metal. My immediate use will be for creating the RPG launcher, lenses and various gun barrels.

Pic 6: the basic Gallant components. I opted to use a styrene/modeling board sandwich to create extra depth and detail on an otherwise small and intricate part. I'll also be testing the fit with my Rey figure's hand to ensure an adequate fit. More to come next week!;)

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

Getting closer. The Gallant is almost done, just tweaking a few details here and there. Next will be the saddle-packs, then the RPG launcher... Or maybe the other way around. I'm finally getting back into my groove.^_^

The rifle mode, while being a clusterf*ck of ergonomics hell, has at least one interesting (and slightly redeeming) feature in that it can be used one-handed with decent stability. A plus if it ever needs to be fired while riding. I was also able to find some black ribbon that is the perfect size for the strap, which I will be including in the set. Therefore, shoulder-slung will be another posing option. Stay tuned!

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 5.42.05 PM.png

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

On 7/17/2018 at 9:50 PM, captain america said:

I'd be reticent to add a third Gallant, just because it adds to the price (planned $65 CAD), and that for an option that probably few people will want. Right now the set will (tentatively) include:

-Gallant pistol

-Gallant rifle w/sling

-RPG launcher w/clear targeting lenses

-Saddle-packs (side, 2pcs)

-Saddle-pack (rear, can be built open or closed)

-Water cantine and misc. supplies

-dash panel and weapons markings decal

Awesome news! 2 sets for sure. Do you think it will match up with 2 new ride armors that have been announced?

Captain's log Tuesday, July 31st. Also known as today.

So I've been making progress with the 1/12 accessories set. I opted to churn-away on the RPG and do some refinement of the Gallant, and the saddle-packs are begun, but still just blocks for the time being.

Pics 1 and 2: some lathe action as I slowly become accustomed to my new machine, whose adjustment wheels are located differently from my previous rig. Alas, no major disasters as yet, and I've put those resin cylinder castings to good use for the RPG parts. You can see the progression even at this early stage.

Pics 3 and 4: the Gallant, now sporting its flashy and handy shoulder strap. The latter will be included, along with staples used to make the buckles. I also concocted an attachment that allows you to mount the rifle onto the bike. I figured that since all of these are current-issue MARS weapons, that they should be compatible and have dedicated integrated systems.

Pics 5 and 6: the strap allows for more posing options, so regardless of what mode your MOSPEADA is in, it will always be interesting.

Pics 7 and 8: the basic RPG launcher in need of further detailing. I don't know what the official MOSPEADA illustration book has to say about it, but I consider the RPG to be older tech; possibly even pre Inbit... At least that's the impression that I get from looking at the large, clumsy one-shot design. The VR-038L's launcher, by contrast, is smaller, sleeker and can fire multiple rounds. 

Pics 9 and 10: Here we see Ley modeling the RPG launcher for us. It has a pop-out secondary handle for easy use. The official illustration has Ley holding it with one hand... The joys of a powered exo-suit. I will show-off better pics of the RPG being held like in the official illustration, but for now I need the bike in Ride-Mode to make the adjusdtments for the saddle-packs. More to come next week! ^_^

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

9 hours ago, Tober said:

Looking great, Capt! :D

The visor wouldn't be missing because you're doing recasts without us, would it..? :unsure: 

I will attept to re-cast the visor, but because I don't want to mangle the original, I will have to cast it once, modify it and cast it again. It's a small and very thin part, so no guarantees.

7 minutes ago, captain america said:

I will attept to re-cast the visor, but because I don't want to mangle the original, I will have to cast it once, modify it and cast it again. It's a small and very thin part, so no guarantees.

Hats off to you, sir!:hi:

Wait a minute, guys...  I think we've all lost sight of something very important here.

Like the Beagle, Sentinel's Riobot has a removable HBT canister:

removable.thumb.jpg.c03ac802e0ddc68682095ca2ebd77400.jpg

canister.thumb.jpg.0b6f5de80b20982933318c473cac66fc.jpg

Now, Captain America is working hard to bring us some much-needed accessories, including the ubiquitous Gallant H90 sidearm Beagle saw fit to include:

carrier.thumb.jpg.feb1724bba83d9e07bd0cbd532d725ce.jpg

Is our erstwhile Captain not also planning to provide a carrier with additional HBT canisters, as Beagle did?

HBT.jpeg.9df3bc409674bdd428b45d865f86bea7.jpeg

They were kind of a big deal in the anime.

Edited by tekering

Thanks for bringing that up, Ted. 

My original idea was to keep the price-point as $50US/65 CAD. I can keep the price-point the same and leave some parts for another set, or I can add things in and bump the price up to compensate. For the sake of sturdiness, I'd likely mold the HBT cannister, make four castings, create the frame/handle and then mold it all as a solid piece.

5 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Didn't the Beagle Ride Armor/Toynami Cyclone have a removable HBT canister as well on the bike?

It did!?  Man, I never even noticed.  What an amazing toy it was.  :good:

As much as I like the modern aesthetics of Sentinel's, I hope their Bartley is a lot closer to the original anime design... especially since neither Beagle, MegaHouse, nor even the vintage 1:12 model kit line included a Bartley.  :mellow:

33 minutes ago, tekering said:

As much as I like the modern aesthetics of Sentinel's, I hope their Bartley is a lot closer to the original anime design... especially since neither Beagle, MegaHouse, nor even the vintage 1:12 model kit line included a Bartley.  :mellow:

The Bartley is my most anticipated release. Although Yellow's bike is the best of all four, you can't have Rei without Fuke.

The Sentinel Bartley illustration looked similar to the original bike cowling. It was the armor that had changed more.

Of course, Yellow and Hoquet also have slightly different visors to Stick and Rey's. And Yellow's is tinted green.

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Hey Tekering. Found this from Jenius' Anymoon site. Yeah, Beagle was an amazing toy indeed. Up to this day, I'm still saddened they didn't finish the other two bikes. :unsure:

Beagle-Ride-Armor-44.jpg 

Edited by no3Ljm

Captain's log: August 7th.

I'm in the home stretch now, with mostly just the HBT pack remaining to be made. For that, however, I'll have to cast the figure's HBT cannister to make a full set.

Saddle-packs are almost done, just a bit of detailing to do here and there. I added carry handles, just because it seemed silly not to have them, knowing that they would be hella-awkward to pick-up/carry without them, especially if you're already being chased by Inbit. This is also me being pragmatic, just as I had been with the Legioss, which has the extra-added bonus of providing yet more posing options for your figures. For those who prefer no handles, you can easily trim the hinges off to make the boxes flat, so everybody wins! The RPG launcher is also almost done and looking very illustration-accurate.

Of course, I took a little extra time to ensure that the saddle-packs not only fit on the bike, but also don't interfere with the rider. I'm going to be doing some preliminary casting today, so the next time you see the parts, they will either be primed and/or already molded. 

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

3 hours ago, captain america said:

Captain's log: August 7th.

I'm in the home stretch now, with mostly just the HBT pack remaining to be made. For that, however, I'll have to cast the figure's HBT cannister to make a full set.

Saddle-packs are almost done, just a bit of detailing to do here and there. I added carry handles, just because it seemed silly not to have them, knowing that they would be hella-awkward to pick-up/carry without them, especially if you're already being chased by Inbit. This is also me being pragmatic, just as I had been with the Legioss, which has the extra-added bonus of providing yet more posing options for your figures. For those who prefer no handles, you can easily trim the hinges off to make the boxes flat, so everybody wins! The RPG launcher is also almost done and looking very illustration-accurate.

Of course, I took a little extra time to ensure that the saddle-packs not only fit on the bike, but also don't interfere with the rider. I'm going to be doing some preliminary casting today, so the next time you see the parts, they will either be primed and/or already molded. 

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

I would love to see your DIY on youtube :)

Captain's log, August 14th.

Almost done! Just little details remain now. Since I made the fanny saddle-pack box openable, I figured I'd make some innards to compliment it. Various food stuffs, medical supplies, cantine... The box's internals aren't removeable, but the water bottle is, Just another nifty little accessory for additional posing or dioramas. Also, as specifically requested, we have... An HBT family pack!! I really have to thank Ted for bringing it up, because in hindsight, the accessories set wouldn't have been complete without it.

Also, I managed to adjust the Gallant/Rifle stock so that I can mold them separately, so you will have the option to mix & match between short or extended barrel versions... You're welcome! And it looks like you guys will be getting unscribed visors as well. Still finishing those up, but it looks like it's a go. While the visors are drying, I'll be finishing the dashboard panel and decals.

All that being said, the accessories set has grown beyond my initial plans, so the price will have to be adjusted--that's the only bad news. It would go from $65 CAD to $85 CAD ($50 USD to $65 USD). So the pre-order price will be $85 CAD for the first 50 paid. Shipping would be the same as for the Baby Space Crab (which is the minimum for any parcel) with the added advantage being that I can ship 4 sets for the price of one. I'll provide the exact figures next week when I start accepting payments.

The bottom pic gives you an idea of what the set will look like, minus a few parts.

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg