Reminding people that this film is being directed by the guy who did the one MCU film the other films like to pretend doesn't exist is probably not a good idea.

This movie looks like a** and changing the basic Predator plot from alien hunting humans for sport to using humans to advance their own genetic evolution is dumb.

Man, Predator is one of those movies that should be allowed to rest, like Alien and Terminator.

There was a good film or two, but the modern movie industry rarely allows anything with name recognition to generate a great movie. And with this much name recognition, it is hard to even get a GOOD movie out of it as they desperately try to sanitize it and polish it for maximum mainstream appeal.

I mean, if they want to go full-on bananas, I'd watch a cinematic adaptation of the old Capcom AVP arcade brawler, but other than that... leave the aliens-as-mad-scientist plot to someone else. It's called Predator, not Gene Splicer.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Man, Predator is one of those movies that should be allowed to rest, like Alien and Terminator.

Are you kidding? Predator and ALIEN are the modern day vampire and werewolf for cinema, no way Hollywood is gonna let them go. They just need good story lines really.

If I was gonna make a Predator film I'd have it take place in a sh1th@le3 like a Syria war zone, similar to how the original film was and not in some suburb like this film is. Reminds me too much of Requiem.

Edited by TangledThorns

13 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Skipped the first six seconds (aka the trailer of the trailer) for you:

Maybe this is just a really awful trailer, but I've come away from it with the impression that this is going to be an Excuse Plot sequel like Alien: Covenant1.  One clicky boi leaves his key fob on Earth, so some idyllic suburban neighborhood's gonna get it.  

Unless this suburb's in Texas, the maximum threat level's probably one of those small ratty dogs whose breed I can't spell.  Kind of a big step down from a dystopian Los Angeles in the midst of a war between drug cartels, or ambushing a military op in a banana republic.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Are you kidding? Predator and ALIEN are the modern day vampire and werewolf for cinema, no way Hollywood is gonna let them go.

At first I was gonna object, but no... that's actually totally correct.  They ARE the iconic (inhuman) modern horror movie monsters.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

They just need good story lines really.

More than that, what they need are writers who understand the fundamental principle of monster horror movies... the more you see the monster, the less scary the monster is. 

Spoiler

1. "That's a John Denver song, better abandon our mission, tell nobody, and go wandering around an unsurveyed planet without any kind of protection."

11 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Unless this suburb's in Texas,  (...)

Hide contents

Seeing the preview, I got a very strong Vancouver vibe.  (Casually) checking the filming locations and... it is indeed filmed there.

... I have a bad feeling about this one.  That other, really stinky, movie with Predators was also filmed there.  You know, the unwatchable "AVP2".

Don't get me wrong - Vancouver is an AWESOME place to film (E.g.: X-Files).  But when it comes to Predators, it has a poor track record.

(And lets not get into the whole thing in the first two movies about Predators only appearing when it is exceedingly hot, and the forests around Vancouver (that they filmed in) are a temperate rainforest... :roll: )

15 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Are you kidding? Predator and ALIEN are the modern day vampire and werewolf for cinema, no way Hollywood is gonna let them go. They just need good story lines really.

I said should, not will. 

The predator series has so much possibilities for potential films. So many different time eras, locations, and warzones you could set it in and still be compelling. Instead we get this turd.

It's much worse for the Alien franchise. After Aliens showed what military grade and some civilian grade(pump action shotgun) weaponry could do to a xenomorph the consensus among the the film makers was "How do we gimp the humans to make the xenomorph a threat again?" They answered this by at first rehashing the original by placing it in a confined setting with little to no weaponry, but that didn't sell so they just decided to make everyone dumb as bricks with as much life preservation as a lemming pretending to be the dumb bimbo that always dies first in a Friday the 13th film.

48 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

The predator series has so much possibilities for potential films. So many different time eras, locations, and warzones you could set it in and still be compelling. Instead we get this turd.

Quite so. I'm not saying that no good stories can be told, just that Hollywood won't allow it to happen. They're gonna try to polish it for maximum mainstream appeal, and take off all the facets that make it interesting in the process.

49 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

It's much worse for the Alien franchise. After Aliens showed what military grade and some civilian grade(pump action shotgun) weaponry could do to a xenomorph the consensus among the the film makers was "How do we gimp the humans to make the xenomorph a threat again?"

Alien, man... that's just a consecutive trainwreck of bad ideas crashing into more bad ideas.

I do note that predators aren't exactly immune to military hardware either. Or even non-hardware. Arnie messed the original one up with some logs and mud, after all.

Both Alien and Predator were pretty similar in the hook for the initial film, though. One lone, largely unseen creature messin' people up unopposed, taken out by the last survivor through a combination of wit, cunning, and just plain luck. 

Obviously, they've both travelled in different directions since then, seeking ever-larger spectacle. And both have made occasional attempts to "get back to basics".

14 hours ago, sketchley said:

Seeing the preview, I got a very strong Vancouver vibe.  (Casually) checking the filming locations and... it is indeed filmed there.

Whether the story is actually set in Vancouver is another matter entirely... as in the case of AVP:R, which was filmed in Vancouver, but set in Gunnison, Colorado.  Filmmakers'll go film wherever the production can get the best tax breaks, and to hell with accuracy. 

(Whether those gits had ever been to Gunnison is another matter... it seems like they were working under the misapprehension that it's spitting distance from Colorado Springs, instead of the 3+ hour drive it actually is.)

14 hours ago, sketchley said:

(And lets not get into the whole thing in the first two movies about Predators only appearing when it is exceedingly hot, and the forests around Vancouver (that they filmed in) are a temperate rainforest... :roll: )

"The role of Dallas in tonight's production will be played by Vancouver, British Columbia."

Either that or they're taking the threat level WAY down for this one.

10 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Perhaps they're reluctant to set a Predator movie in a modern warzone because the Predators aren't bulletproof against conventional small arms the way the Xenomorphs of the Alien franchise are, and don't wear body armor.  It'd be kind of anticlimactic if the Predator picked off a soldier and the rest of his platoon decided to call in reinforcements or opt to blanket the area with machinegun fire and fragmentation grenades.  The Predators have done as well as they have in the past by choosing an environment where their prey are isolated figuratively or literally.

10 hours ago, renegadeleader1 said:

It's much worse for the Alien franchise. After Aliens showed what military grade and some civilian grade(pump action shotgun) weaponry could do to a xenomorph the consensus among the the film makers was "How do we gimp the humans to make the xenomorph a threat again?"

Aliens was a mistake, to be sure, but that's kind of overstating it.  Hicks's shotgun only worked on that one xenomorph because he jammed the barrel into its mouth and fired, bypassing its armor.  That ruined the shotgun and nearly killed Hicks too.

9 hours ago, JB0 said:

Obviously, they've both travelled in different directions since then, seeking ever-larger spectacle. And both have made occasional attempts to "get back to basics".

Alien's at least succeeded with it on one front... Alien: Isolation managed to make the xenomorph pants-crappingly terrifying again alone AND in numbers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the mess that was the AvP franchise, I was really skeptical of Predators, but that one turned out to be incredibly enjoyable, and this one looks just as good, so I'm allowing myself to be hyped. Both tweaked (or seems to have tweaked, in the case of The Predator) with the Predator formula in a way the other movies didn't, which makes them stand out amongst the crowd.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

After the mess that was the AvP franchise, I was really skeptical of Predators, but that one turned out to be incredibly enjoyable, and this one looks just as good, so I'm allowing myself to be hyped. Both tweaked (or seems to have tweaked, in the case of The Predator) with the Predator formula in a way the other movies didn't, which makes them stand out amongst the crowd.

Predators with Adrian Brody was a damn good movie, it's one I wish I had gone to see in the theater. It comes off the shelf fairly often for a re-watch. I also give a marginal like/pass to the 1st AVP, I liked it for what it was, the 2nd one was a dumpster fire however.

meh, love the original Predator, didn't mind Predator & Predators, atleast predators was on some alien world. Would hurt try something maybe new, other than, oh predator comes to earth, oh he hunts some soldiers, etc. They predator's are aliens they have space technology, must be so many places they can go, other stories to tell

On 6/26/2018 at 10:10 PM, Graham said:

Quite looking forward to this.

Love Predator and Predator 2 and Predators, wish we'd gotten a sequel to Predators.

Didn't like the AvP movies though. The first one was barely passable, the second was crap.

Agree with this. I’ve enjoyed all the solo Predator movies quite a bit.

Chris