Snake-Eyes - G.I. Joe Origins

Well, It seems that we will not have a reboot...

http://news.hisstank.com/2018/05/04/new-details-working-title-gi-joe-3-gi-joe-ever-vigilant-65332

And rerereback of "arroz de festa"*

https://www.cbr.com/paramount-wants-the-rock-to-return-for-gi-joe-ever-vigilant/amp/

*arroz de festa = party rice (sorry, I don't know if other countries uses this language figure...)

The expression "party rice", as you know, means above all "a person who is seen at every feast". It ended up enlarged to designate who is always present, who seems to be everywhere at the same time, and not only on festive occasions, which has turned it into a synonymous phrase of "easy card".

1 hour ago, Old_Nash said:

Well, It seems that we will not have a reboot...

http://news.hisstank.com/2018/05/04/new-details-working-title-gi-joe-3-gi-joe-ever-vigilant-65332

And rerereback of "arroz de festa"*

https://www.cbr.com/paramount-wants-the-rock-to-return-for-gi-joe-ever-vigilant/amp/

*arroz de festa = party rice (sorry, I don't know if other countries uses this language figure...)

The expression "party rice", as you know, means above all "a person who is seen at every feast". It ended up enlarged to designate who is always present, who seems to be everywhere at the same time, and not only on festive occasions, which has turned it into a synonymous phrase of "easy card".

I like that phrase arroz de festa- language, and its ties to culture, is always interesting. I think the English equivalent would be 'ubiquitous', which sounds heady, but not nearly so colorful as 'party rice'. :)

As for the new film, as much as I like Dwayne Johnson, making Roadblock the leader just seems off to me, having grown up watching the show. Duke and Flint were always at the fore, along with Lady J and Scarlett, with guys like Roadblock serving as the muscle and the humor. We need a new Duke.

Will the Micronauts movie be true to the original Marvel Comics story? I suppose it won't because of legal/license issues (the same reasons by the comic reboot from the previous decade wasn't at all related to the Marvel M run)? As for GIRock? Did the last movie do OK?

2 hours ago, TehPW said:

Will the Micronauts movie be true to the original Marvel Comics story? I suppose it won't because of legal/license issues (the same reasons by the comic reboot from the previous decade wasn't at all related to the Marvel M run)? As for GIRock? Did the last movie do OK?

My understanding is GIJoe 2 bombed horribly because no one wanted a sequel to the first nive-action film. It was actually pretty good, though.

20 minutes ago, JB0 said:

My understanding is GIJoe 2 bombed horribly because no one wanted a sequel to the first nive-action film. It was actually pretty good, though.

I mean, I don't know if that was the general consensus or not, but that's at least how I felt.  Saw the first GI Joe in the theater and I thought it was boring and convoluted.  Had no desire to see the sequel, but my wife and I were bored and I think we found the Blu-ray or something on clearance, decided to roll the dice on it, and rather enjoyed it.

27 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Having just watched Retaliation again the other day I can attest to this. All in all it's not a bad action movie and the plot is 100% GI Joe schlock. The three things it had going against are its connections to the first movie instead of starting fresh, the meager budget it had, and the decision to kill off 99% of the named Joes in a hamfisted attempt at a soft reset 5 minutes into the film. 

Edited by renegadeleader1

40 minutes ago, renegadeleader1 said:

Having just watched Retaliation again the other day I can attest to this. All in all it's not a bad action movie and the plot is 100% GI Joe schlock. The three things it had going against are its connections to the first movie instead of starting fresh, the meager budget it had, and the decision to kill off 99% of the named Joes in a hamfisted attempt at a soft reset 5 minutes into the film. 

On the other hand, it starts with a narrative infodump that says "Yeah, all that stupid crap we set up at the end of the first movie? Resolved off-camera because no one wants to see any of it. Except the part where the president was replaced by an evil doppelganger, because that actually sounds awesome."

I have to respect a sequel that opens with "that last movie was dumb and we are ignoring everything we can"

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

I liked the movie, but.

He suffers from something that he would define as "identity crisis".
At first we had something very "serious", with people dying.
Close to something from the comics
In that second, taking the casualties from the beginning, you do not even feel that they occurred during your performance.
The plot suffered because of this, becoming more like the cartoon, in case neither principal dies, and the villain fleeing in the end.

• Old_Nash changed the title to GI JOE 3: EVER VIGILANT
  • Old_Nash changed the title to G.I. JOE 3: EVER VIGILANT

...so... correct me if I'm wrong, but the one with Bruce Willis never came out, did it? Is this that? Is this a belated third (fourth?) entry in the movie franchise?

Much agreed that Snake Eyes is easily, by a country mile, the most interesting part of the movies. Should've been all about him from the very beginning.

It's too bad they can't go back and re-do Snake Eye's origin to be more like his comic book origin.

Some elements of it can be over-the-top, but I can see it translating really well cinematically.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Old_Nash changed the title to G.I. JOE 3: EVER VIGILANT, Snake-Eyes Or WTH the name now!
  • Old_Nash changed the title to G.I. JOE 3: EVER VIGILANT, Snake-Eyes Or WTH they're naming it now!
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Old_Nash changed the title to G.I. JOE Movieverse (formely Ever Vigilant, Snake-eyes OR WTH the'ye naming it now!)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm just curious how/why The Baroness would tie into an Arashikage-focused movie?  I mean, if it was a Destro movie, yeah.   I'm assuming purely because she's one of the most popular characters in the franchise, and not because there's a huge Baroness-Snakeyes (or Baroness-Stormshadow) feud I'm unaware of?  

5 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

I'm just curious how/why The Baroness would tie into an Arashikage-focused movie?  I mean, if it was a Destro movie, yeah.   I'm assuming purely because she's one of the most popular characters in the franchise, and not because there's a huge Baroness-Snakeyes (or Baroness-Stormshadow) feud I'm unaware of?  

Best guess: she dresses all in black, so she's obviously a ninja.

There actually was a SE and Baroness feud.

In the comics the Baroness thought SE killed her brother in Vietnam and it led her to a life of international terrorism.

In the comics everyone's origin story is connected to SE.

14 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

There actually was a SE and Baroness feud.

In the comics the Baroness thought SE killed her brother in Vietnam and it led her to a life of international terrorism.

In the comics everyone's origin story is connected to SE.

Beat me to it.
YEs, in the later Marvel Comics it is revealed that a young Anastasia walked in a scene where her brother and a bunch of Viet Cong were dead and Snake Eyes (pre-ninja commando, and just an army ranger badass) was the only one left standing.  That put her on her road to terrorism.  Laird Destro (the previous Destro) then shows up with his teenage son and deduced that Snake Eyes was defending himself.  The Baronesses brother  killed by the Viet-Cong who were masquerading as humanitarian relief workers IIRC.  It was a well written story, but from a time when the comics were becoming more Snake Eyes centered due to pressure from Hasbro and Marvel execs.  The overall story arc was good though and led into the excellent Gulf War Storyline where the ranks of both sides were heavily thinned.