I'm just coming from the stance that not everything is inherently evil

I just want to state that I do not equate "cash grab" with "evil".  Grabbing Cash maybe but not a cash grab.  I'm still going to re-up my annual pass to Disney (though I am on the plan that only went up 10% instead of 25%) so certain cash grabs I put up with while others I do not.

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I'm just coming from the stance that not everything is inherently evil

I just want to state that I do not equate "cash grab" with "evil".  Grabbing Cash maybe but not a cash grab.  I'm still going to re-up my annual pass to Disney (though I am on the plan that only went up 10% instead of 25%) so certain cash grabs I put up with while others I do not.

All good sir.

I will also agree that everyone has their own "triggers" (no pun or insult intended that goes along with the word "trigger" these days) and I should be better at acknowledging that.

At any rate, I'll be there for the extra "stuff" :)

-b.

I'm in for this extended version of Endgame simply because I view Avatar being the number 1 grossing movie of all time as being an indictment of humanity in general and reason enough for aliens to come along and demolish the Earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass. :p

Short version: Avatar was a goddamn terrible movie.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I'm in for this extended version of Endgame simply because I view Avatar being the number 1 grossing movie of all time as being an indictment of humanity in general and reason enough for aliens to come along and demolish the Earth to make way for a hyperspace bypass. :p

LOL! 

Avatar is a guilty pleasure for me, but if I never see it again, or if the sequels never see the light of day I won't shed any tears.

The thing about box office records is that they just don't tend to last that long. We're in an age of "Blockbusters" so the title of highest grossing just doesn't carry much weight to me.

The more I think about it, the more excited I am to see Endgame again, the time heist plot was so-so, but the  beginning and ending of the movie are awesome.

-b.

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I never got why Avatar was so well received. I though it was a very mediocre film.  Dances with Wolves with big blue Smurfs really.

9 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I never got why Avatar was so well received. I though it was a very mediocre film.  Dances with Wolves with big blue Smurfs really.

To this day it is the only film that has done 3d right.  Since it is still not possible for a TV to replicated the 3d as it needs to be Avatar was a theater only experience.  Since the plot of Avatar was nothing special it makes seeing it in a theater for the spectacle the only selling point.  

Side note - Luckily this latest 3d fad seems to be sputtering out again.  A couple years back it was near impossible to see an Imax movie in 2d, so far every one I have wanted to see this year was either 2d only or the option existed.

I will freely admit I've heard seeing it in 3D in the theater was very cool, I didn't make it.  I just can't do 3D for THAT long..or at all really. I,  like @Dynaman, am glad to see the new 3D fad going away. Just give me IMAX 2D and I'm good go go for the REALLY big movies, Marvel/Star Wars etc...

6 hours ago, Dynaman said:

To this day it is the only film that has done 3d right.  Since it is still not possible for a TV to replicated the 3d as it needs to be Avatar was a theater only experience.  Since the plot of Avatar was nothing special it makes seeing it in a theater for the spectacle the only selling point.  

Side note - Luckily this latest 3d fad seems to be sputtering out again.  A couple years back it was near impossible to see an Imax movie in 2d, so far every one I have wanted to see this year was either 2d only or the option existed.

I agree. I did not enjoy Avatar as a movie, i think it was very predictable and derivative but the use of the 3D was really good.  I think James Cameron tends to do that. For example some special effects used in The Abyss were then perfected and used in even a better way in T2(which is definitely a better movie, or anyway more complex than the Abyss). I like to think that he now mastered the new technology and is ready to apply it to the sequels and that the upcoming movies will be better than the first one under every point of view.

On 6/21/2019 at 3:57 PM, Lolicon said:

Pssst, James Cameron is an evil space alien..  his sole reason for existence is to show why humans deserve to become extinct. 

16 hours ago, Mommar said:

I guess we’ll have a duel of wrongs then.

Sure...I mean, if you really want to. lol

The fact is Avatar literally inspired an entire generation of 3D movies at the theaters, not to mention at home technology from High Definition 3D televisions, Blu Ray players and the like. This doesn't make the movie any better or worse from a story perspective, but to say that Avatar's 3D was "garbage" is pure fallacy.

A movie that was so successful because of it's groundbreaking visual effects, 3D included, that here we are, 10 years later talking about how Avengers: Endgame is coming back to theaters to try and catch/surpass the Avatar's box office records. Records that were created, not because of story, but because of the visuals created for 3D.

So yeah...

Anyway, I keep checking AMC, Atom and Fandango for tickets/showtimes for the Endgame re:release and nothing.

-b.

Avatar was a one-watch deal for me. It's an okay take on Pocahontas, but that's it. And I say that having never watched it in 3D. I find it too uncomfortable having the 3D glasses perched over my regular pair. Other than the 3D gimmick, there's not much IMHO to account for the money it raked in.

I'll watch the sequel, at least once, but I really wish he was focusing on Alita. It's a far better story.

Edited by Thom

On 6/23/2019 at 10:39 AM, Kanedas Bike said:

Sure...I mean, if you really want to. lol

The fact is Avatar literally inspired an entire generation of 3D movies at the theaters, not to mention at home technology from High Definition 3D televisions, Blu Ray players and the like. This doesn't make the movie any better or worse from a story perspective, but to say that Avatar's 3D was "garbage" is pure fallacy.

A movie that was so successful because of it's groundbreaking visual effects, 3D included, that here we are, 10 years later talking about how Avengers: Endgame is coming back to theaters to try and catch/surpass the Avatar's box office records. Records that were created, not because of story, but because of the visuals created for 3D.

So yeah...

Anyway, I keep checking AMC, Atom and Fandango for tickets/showtimes for the Endgame re:release and nothing.

-b.

So it made a ton of money on a now dead gimmick...  not that inspiring.

Just wait for the Marvel Marathon sets that they'll put in theaters through Christmas...  If you think Marvel is done milking their old properties, I have news for you.

What they might do is a special where if you subscribe to Disney+, you get a large discount off of all of the screenings on the 22 move marathon or some such thing.

The only movie I’ve seen that needed 3D was Dr. Strange. All the reality-bending magic effects were really enhanced by the effect, so much so I really miss it seeing it again on my TV. 

I saw the last two Star Wars movies in 3D as well and really loved how the effect made the ships look like models flying around. It was like I could hold them in my hand. Really nifty. 

I keep getting stuck on the wording, 'you must sacrifice that which you love...'

Not sacrifice your own life, but that which you love, a person separate from yourself.

For that scene to work in Endgame, Barton would have had to kill Nat (or the other way around) and not simply fail is stopping her from killing herself.

Imagine that scene...

3 hours ago, Thom said:

For that scene to work in Endgame, Barton would have had to kill Nat (or the other way around) and not simply fail is stopping her from killing herself.

You're right, of course.  Since neither refused to sacrifice the other, neither proved worthy of the Soul Stone.  <_<

Agreed. That scene bugged me in Endgame. Thanos chunked Gamora off the cliff, so yes, he legit earned the soul stone by killing his adopted daughter in order to get what he wanted. Barton and Nat's "No I'M gonna fling myself off the cliff cause I'm MORE noble than you...no..that didn't work for me. Red Skull should have been like..uhhh NOPE..sorry..No dice. LOL

But you could argue that one wouldn’t let the other sacrifice themselves and this when Barton had no other choice to let Nat fall he in turned didn’t stop her. I dunno.

all I can say is moving damn quick to get more revenue even though they’re re-releasing the film with 6 stupid more minutes of footage.

That’s pretty silly they’re going to re release endgame for a day or two just to try and beat Avatar in sales..whatever extra bits they add, I will catch on YouTube.  Cameron should do the same thing just to snub the MCU. And revitalize Avatar for the public before the sequels start pouring in..