Well they really covered their bases with the "1 in 14 million" chance of victory. Whatever plot holes, plot armor, why didn't they do this, how did that even happen, what are the odds of that happening, etc can all be covered by that 1 single chance among 14 million others. ^_^

So how long before more super-soldiers start showing up in the MCU?  We know the Russians and Americans have managed some degree of success in re-creating a serum to enhance soldiers. 

The Russians managed to do it with Bucky, and even upped the output somewhat with the 5 sleeper-soldiers--before Zemo kills 'em in their sleep.  Was there any reason given for their not trying to create more?

Also, AFAIK I think the significance of Gen. Ross having "dusted off" the super soldier program to give Emil Blonsky his enhancements in 2008's The Incredible Hulk has gone largely understated.  In his first one-on-one with the Hulk, we see that Blonsky's moving at clearly increased speed, agility [and presumably strength] levels that appear to approach--but probably not equal--those of Steve Rogers.  It isn't until he forces Dr. Sterns to use the serum synthesized from Banner's blood that he turns into the Abomination.  You tellin' me Ross only secured enough material for one test run?

Oh yeah, wait....

b%2BL6V%2BgC7IQPE6Luutg

I can see how that might make Ross consider the test a failure.  <_<

Edited by reddsun1

10 hours ago, reddsun1 said:

So how long before more super-soldiers start showing up in the MCU?  We know the Russians and Americans have managed some degree of success in re-creating a serum to enhance soldiers. 

The Russians managed to do it with Bucky, and even upped the output somewhat with the 5 sleeper-soldiers--before Zemo kills 'em in their sleep.  Was there any reason given for their not trying to create more?

Also, AFAIK I think the significance of Gen. Ross having "dusted off" the super soldier program to give Emil Blonsky his enhancements in 2008's The Incredible Hulk has gone largely understated.  In his first one-on-one with the Hulk, we see that Blonsky's moving at clearly increased speed, agility [and presumably strength] levels that appear to approach--but probably not equal--those of Steve Rogers.  It isn't until he forces Dr. Sterns to use the serum synthesized from Banner's blood that he turns into the Abomination.  You tellin' me Ross only secured enough material for one test run?

Oh yeah, wait....

b%2BL6V%2BgC7IQPE6Luutg

Most of the super soldier experiments in the main MCU have been failures.  Steve Rogers is the only one that worked out.  The others all had pretty disastrous side effects -- Red Skull, Hulk, Abomination are not exactly what you'd call successful outcomes.  The super soldiers developed by the Russians/Hydra were also unstable -- they went mad and rebelled against their superiors.  Low probability of success, and high probability of catastrophic damage or loss of life if it doesn't work... doesn't exactly provide a great incentive to experiment.

On the other hand, if you count the TV side of the MCU, you have Luke Cage and Jessica Jones who seem to have their powers without any side effects.

Given how closely held the Infinity War/Endgame stuff there was no viable way for them to really do anything to integrate with it. Even the 5 year time skip was kept secret so they couldn't really sync up with that either. You could argue they ended up in an alternative timeline after the time shenanigans last season pretty safely, anyways.

Edited by Atheonyirh

46 minutes ago, kalvasflam said:

that's what I figured... what I don't understand is how Capt could summon lightning with the hammer. 

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

(This is another reason why I don't particularly like Ragnarok compared to the first two Thor movies...)

More importantly, Thor or Captain America could have completely nullified Thanos simply by laying Mjolnir on top of him. But meh, they couldn't for the sake of cool choreography and fighting, etc., yes yes yes... but still.

Edited by kajnrig

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 10:15 AM, reddsun1 said:

Oh yeah, wait....

b%2BL6V%2BgC7IQPE6Luutg

Rumor has it John Cena is going to be playing US Agent in the Bucky/Falcon show so I guess a few more Super Soldiers should be forthcoming.  He wasn’t terribly stable mentally though.

If they can re-release Avatar and Titanic to get some extra bucks and break some records, they can damn well re-release Endgame with some extra shots and pull in a few more million.  This is the Disney money machine we're talking about here.  NOthing is too small for it to ignore.  :)

Of course it's a cash grab.   They all are.  Do you think Titanic or Avatar was released for some other reason?  In this day and age, shame is the last thing corporations care about, ask Sideshow Bob what's more important, a few more dollars for the bottom line or the legacy of the frozen. Besides, do you see anyone calling for a boycott?

Edited by kalvasflam

Cynicism yay! 

Anyway, as previously alluded to, I'm pretty sure the folks that saw this in theaters multiple times (2 myself) aren't going to be up in arms. I'll go see it again for the 'extra' 2 minutes or whatever it turns out to be because I like to enjoy things, and I enjoyed Endgame.

-b.

55 minutes ago, Dynaman said:

There is a massive difference between rereleasing years later and a couple months later with "new" footage.  Maybe I'm just old and remember second run theaters doing rereleases as a matter of course.  

Hey, I'm "old" too! For a point of reference I've been on MW since 1999 :lol:

And you're not wrong, "regular" theaters would sometimes do second runs and then you had the $1 movies. 

I'm just coming from the stance that not everything is inherently evil, so more footage a month or two later, alright cool. If you're inclined go see it, otherwise don't. It just doesn't have to  be a super master evil plan to rob everyone of $7 to $20 per ticket. 

-b.