Valk Value Variables

Astralith

Be me:

Have a 1/60 VF-1D. Rainbow canopy, flip-top box, all the yes. 

Attempt to transform to Gerwalk for display

Shoulder breaks 

face-palm

Attempt to revert back to fighter and return to box.

Shoulder breaks 

-trynottocry.exe 

Buy new shoulder hinges (shapeways) 

Replace both shoulders and paint them to match the color of the rest of the figure. Looks like new. 

Now here's the big question, does the value of the figure go Up or Down?    

Edited by Astralith

I'd say value would be the same as far as secondary pricing. It's still a highly sought after piece for a lot of Macross collectors, and since the shoulders are now fixed and color matched, they don't have to worry about them breaking.

I don't think you're going to find a VF-1D anywhere close to original price.

If I didn't already have one and the price was right, I'd buy it. :)

52 minutes ago, Astralith said:

I doubt I'd be able to sell it off for the absolutely insane prices that I see on sites like eBay and Yahoo ($500-$1000...YIKES) But its good to know I can still sell it for a good price.   

Seeing a VF-1D on eBay for between $500 - $600 is not uncommon.

Finding one for cheaper is less common and takes some hunting, but happens from time to time.

However, just because someone is selling at those prices doesn't mean anyone is buying at those prices.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

2 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Seeing a VF-1D on eBay for between $500 - $600 is not uncommon.

Finding one for cheaper is less common and takes some hunting, but happens from time to time.

However, just because someone is selling at those prices doesn't mean anyone is buying at those prices.

I managed to grab mine for $150 on eBay. Box was busted up in storage but the figure was mint. IDK if the seller didn't know what he had or didn't care, but I got it for a steal. Makes the broken shoulders less of a bummer.

Another variable I was thinking of is customization. Does a customized Valk (panel lines, weathering, repaint, etc) have more resale value than a vanilla one?       

6 hours ago, Astralith said:

I managed to grab mine for $150 on eBay. Box was busted up in storage but the figure was mint. IDK if the seller didn't know what he had or didn't care, but I got it for a steal. Makes the broken shoulders less of a bummer.

Another variable I was thinking of is customization. Does a customized Valk (panel lines, weathering, repaint, etc) have more resale value than a vanilla one?       

I would say customization is a down in value because the number of people who like what you did is smaller than the total demand of the market. 

I certainly wouldn't want a customized unit when I can get a MIB one instead. So that is already one person in the world who is not interested in buying a customized one. :p

Additionally it is hard to gauge the quality of the customization when you don't have the item in hand to check it up close. So this is a gamble for any potential buyer especially if you don't have build up a reputation for customizing already. 

Please don't take this as an insult because I never seen the stuff you do for customizing but most of these customizing projects make the toy look worse than better and even damage it. Even if it is arguably  an improvement some people might not like what you did on an aesthetic level. 

Yeah unless the customisation is top notch, i would say customisations are subjective. (not knocking the customiser) 
Some may like it and some may not.

Plus  some may want to do their own customs instead thus the need for a vanilla valk...