Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

^ So, Eaglemoss is entirely accurate on their release of the Akira Class U.S.S. Thunderchild, insofar as the inclusion of the name anywhere on the ship's hull is concerned.  The ship model didn't have a name on it in its appearance in First Contact.  It's also good to know that this oversight from the studio can be remedied on the XL piece with an aftermarket decal from a fan to fans.  I does look gorgeous; then again, this is the most photogenic design of any non-hero ship in Star Trek.

6 minutes ago, Mommar said:

What was changed?

I believe he is looking at the image Sildani posted.  If you look at that image at full resolution you can see where it says:

UNITED FEDERATION OF PLANETS

It looks like the font size changed just ahead of the N in FEDERATION.  Its subtle so maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there.

Carl

The lifeboats near the phaser strip are dead-on, but the ones further back are WAY off.  I sometimes wish they'd just make these these things completely smooth, if they can't ever get more than 50% of the printing to line up.   At least the windows aren't sculpted in this time.  (though lit vs unlit are still mis-aligned a bit, but better than we usually see) 

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:03 PM, wwwmwww said:

I believe he is looking at the image Sildani posted.  If you look at that image at full resolution you can see where it says:

UNITED FEDERATION OF PLANETS

It looks like the font size changed just ahead of the N in FEDERATION.  Its subtle so maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there.

Carl

I don't mean the font changed.  I mean the font is wrong.

90_300x300_Front_Color-White.jpg.d026531db3ff033da41df5ab9201a5b3.jpg

Trek has used the exact same font face for every ship marking since TMP going forward.  It's a fairly standard font, "Starfleet Bold Extended BT / Millennium."  Two variants, one with outlines for registries, one without for text.  Unless this is some incredibly oddball case where the CGI artists just didn't care because the ship would never be seen that closely, they screwed it up hard.

Actually.. given how similarly screwed-up the arrowhead logo is, it might just be that their printing process is not capable of printing on angled surfaces.  The whole logo looks twice as tall as it should be.

Also, yuck.  That paintjob is nasty. :bad: What even happened there?  It honestly looks like someone ran over it, because the shaded panels look like treadmarks.

Edited by Chronocidal

Although I could never afford any of these now (the joys of mid-life and children eating your funds), has these kits... toys? had they been out 15 years ago, I'd be buying mad...

what is the story behind this shuttle pod? something from TAS?

Edited by TehPW

3 hours ago, TehPW said:

Although I could never afford any of these now (the joys of mid-life and children eating your funds), has these kits... toys? had they been out 15 years ago, I'd be buying mad...

what is the story behind this shuttle pod? something from TAS?

Jeffries had a lot or concept art that didn’t make the screen because they were deemed too difficult to build in time.  This was his original shuttlecraft concept before it was simplified for the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still 2 behind on the Eaglemoss Galactica series, but it looks like they're extending past the announced 12 releases.  Next up is Colonial One. 

So maybe we can expect more like the Cylon Heavy Raider, Colonial Shuttle, Battlestar Valkyrie, Blackbird, Viper mk III, Scar, Cylon Resurrection Ship and maybe some of the rag-tag fleet ships.

6 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Picked up the XLsior. Despite its imperfections, it's the best painted & completed Excelsior that I've seen.

326046805_excelsior01.thumb.jpg.fbff25a6b8a5cb2df7440c180e6524f3.jpg

94255943_excelsior02.thumb.jpg.74695d734b516006922ce22dbb11db42.jpg

That's one gorgeous Excelsior.  It's so detailed I can't quite put my finger on how big it actually is.

But why are are the blue-glowing parts, green? 

Also, I see some areas that are missing paint (fins at rear of nacelles should be blue, as should the leading and trailing edges of the nacelle pylons, aft shuttle-bay doors should be silver/grey) 

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

But why are are the blue-glowing parts, green? 

Also, I see some areas that are missing paint (fins at rear of nacelles should be blue, as should the leading and trailing edges of the nacelle pylons, aft shuttle-bay doors should be silver/grey) 

Wasn't the Enterprise - B green? The Excelsior should definitely be blue.

The Ent-B (and Lakota) "main accent color" was much more green than the Excelsior's (but with generally the same pattern, except for around the bridge)----but "the glowy bits" were no different than any other Starfleet ship---warp and deflector bits glow blue.   I've never seen anything in Starfleet with "teal" warp-glow or deflector dish.  

It's Eaglemoss being cheap and/or poor research, which is not new for them.

Funny since the magazine it comes with documents the original studio model's journey from Excelsior to Hood to Melbourne to Enterprise-B and finally to the Lakota. There are no glowy bits in the nacelles beyond the new bussard collectors at the front when it became the Enterprise-B.

Full glow nacelles only became the norm for Excelsior-class ships when they went full CGI.

11 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

It's Eaglemoss being cheap and/or poor research, which is not new for them.

Funny since the magazine it comes with documents the original studio model's journey from Excelsior to Hood to Melbourne to Enterprise-B and finally to the Lakota. There are no glowy bits in the nacelles beyond the new bussard collectors at the front when it became the Enterprise-B.

Full glow nacelles only became the norm for Excelsior-class ships when they went full CGI.

It's funny, the Excelsior became so commonplace in the latter half of DS9 I honestly didn't remember the glow bits were only on the Boussard Collectors.  That's no excuse for the model builders to not do their job researching things first but it probably explains why they screwed it up so bad.

Eh, most of the Excelsiors (and Mirandas) have been ret-conned to "glowout the sides like TNG-era ships".   And of course, the Excelsior itself, in the "Flashback" Voyager episode:

excelsior9a.jpg

Based on the colors used for the Lakota's "top of nacelles", they are clearly intended (on the studio model/artist's intent) to be "normal hull/nacelle" material up there, and not "warp field radiator grille" material.  They're blue, but they're always "the same blue as the main hull's accent color"----sky blue on the Excelsior, aqua blue-green on the Ent-B/Lakota.  With metallic silver-grey too (same color as impluse exhaust housing surround---also not a "starship glowing area" color).  I think "Excelsiors glowing out the tops of their nacelles" thing is a mis-interpretation of the blue paint being on the nacelles there---since the Excelsior itself often looks "bright sky blue there" in some photos.  "Hey, if it's bright light blue, on a nacelle, it must be GLOWING BLUE, right!??!"     But no, that's just "standard Excelsior-class paint pattern". 

Interestingly, I've noted that the Lakota's impulse *crystals* glow red:

ParadiseLost_37.28_[2019.10.13_18.02.57].jpg

I believe they only ever glow blue otherwise (Refit, maybe Miranda?)

L6Zyfz1.jpg

Hmmn---here's the Valley Forge (DS9 CG model), with them glowing "properly" blue----but I will admit, they're a slightly teal shade of blue:

excelsior17.jpg

(yes, the Excelsior class' colors/glowy bits, and especially those of the Ent-B/Lakota, are very much "my thing" and I've snagged just about every picture ever, over the years)  

P41_11_EntB.jpg

I'm sure the Miranda and Excelsior classes saw many modifications, upgrades, and refits over the decades, so I see no problem having full glow nacelles by the late 24th century, along with varying colors of impulse domes and what not.

Retconning the original Excelsior during its role in Star Trek VI to look like a late 24th century ship is just a bizarre thing to do.

6 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Enterprise is almost a cursed name for a ship.  Far too many of the star-ships named Enterprise never make it to their end of service decommissioning.  There is something seriously wrong with movie writers.

I really wouldn't say that.  It's the absolute flagship that goes on the most difficult missions.  The likelihood of losing it is going to be higher because of the expectation that it does the hardest things and goes to unknown locations others can't or won't.

The original Enterprise was set to be decommissioned when Kirk and crew stole it and then blew it up themselves. 

Enterprise-A was decommissioned after Star Trek 6.

The final fate of the Enterprise-B was never established. 

Enterprise-C was lost defending Narendra III from the Romulans. 

Enterprise-D was lost in a really stupid techno babble fight with a Klingon Kia of prey. 

We left the E behind when the franchise was run into the ground by terrible writing and mismanagement. 

10 hours ago, DewPoint said:

Enterprise is almost a cursed name for a ship.  Far too many of the star-ships named Enterprise never make it to their end of service decommissioning.  There is something seriously wrong with movie writers.

Star Trek became a bit self-aware about that after a while.

The Star Trek Relaunch novel-verse even established that there was a bit of a superstition about ships named Enterprise being unlucky in the Federation's early years after the original NX-01 Enterprise was wrecked in the Earth-Romulan War and an Andorian ship in the newly established Federation Starfleet whose name translated as Enterprise was later lost with all hands as collateral damage in a brief Klingon civil war.  Admiral Archer shut down any attempts to name another ship Enterprise for eighty years until finally relenting and approving a new Constitution-class ship to receive the name (and promptly dying the day after the new ship's christening).  

Spoiler

Archer might've had a bit of confirmation bias working for him there, since the fates of his crew weren't exactly great either... Mayweather's family were killed in the Romulan War and he had several different ships shot out from under him, Reed and Archer both suffered transporter-related genetic damage (in Archer's case, it may have been some mild transporter psychosis), Sato's fiance was irreparably crippled, Tucker "died" (several times), etc.  The last big kick in the teeth being that Sato and her husband moved to Tarsus IV and were both killed in Kodos the Executioner's mass executions at least occurred after NCC-1701 was commissioned and Archer passed away.

4 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Enterprise-A was decommissioned after Star Trek 6.

Unless you wanna count Ashes of Eden, where she got blown up in battle before she could meet her intended fate of... being fully decommissioned and blown up as a drone ship in a live fire exercise.

4 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

The final fate of the Enterprise-B was never established. 

Missing, presumed destroyed, in 2329 near the Cardassian border.

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Missing, presumed destroyed, in 2329 near the Cardassian border.

The Ent-B accidentally warped into a temporal rift, landed in the far future, and her and her crew now serve with the Starfleet Office of Temporal Investigations as undercover agents with an easily-disguisable vessel(since they apparently made HUNDREDS of Excelsiors).

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

What's a good Defiant toy? recommendations?

Is there a particular size you’re looking for?  I only have the smaller Eaglemoss model and it’s not bad.  It isn’t very large though and lacks some details.  Keep in mind I have pretty small hands for a man too.

32CD04E7-DB9D-4027-953A-A1DBE0874DB6.thumb.jpeg.230b08d28e223c45dd5b9ded32f34b9d.jpeg

Pretty sure there was an old Playmates one too, but good luck hunting that down.  Honestly though, I miss the multi-button setups those used for playing specific sound effects.  As much as I love having a "KHAAAAANN!!!" button I can just press, rotating through a series of voice and sound clips has always felt like an incredibly dumb feature.

Lack of quality aside, I'd actually love to see Diamond Select tackle that one.

Edited by Chronocidal